Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2005, 04:08 AM   #1
peasblossom

Default Producer called to say he was passing on script

I may be a desperate screenwriter, but I was actually flattered yesterday when a producer called me personally to tell me he was passing on my script. He had had the script since April 05 - and I had actually forgotten it was still there, had decided that I would never hear - and therefore assumed they had not liked it.

Was too shocked by the phone call to keep him on the line to talk, just said a polite, "Thanks for the call" and then we hung up.

So, my questions are: Is this normal to be called when they pass on your script? And, was I supposed to engage him in conversation - ask him why they passed, etc? I've never had this happen before, so I was winging it.

-Sandy
peasblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
Cole Blackburn
User

Default Re: Producer called to say he was passing on script

Sandy

Most producers simply never contact you if it's a pass. A few make a call which is a nice gesture on their part. IMHO, if he had wanted to talk about your script and you as a writer, he would have done so. I think it was just a polite gesture. Could you have engaged him in a conversation? Depends on you. I treat every call as if it is a producer who is in a hurry. Always have a logline or two to pitch. If you aren't a smooth talker, practice. It was an opportunity but how much of one we will never know.
Cole
Cole Blackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Writer1

I'd email the producer, thanking him/her for the call.

Since they did call, you may be able to finagle their coverage -- see what they really thought about the script.
Writer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 AM   #4
peasblossom

Thanks for the tips! Next time a producer calls my jaw won't drop as close to the ground.

-Sandy
peasblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
dirtbottle

Great job Sandy! Definitely follow up with a thank you e-mail or letter or whatever. Next time when someone calls and they pass make sure you ask them if it's alright to submit your next piece to them. They usually say, "sure" Then try to expand the dialogue with them a little to find out what about your piece wasn't right for them so the next time you have something, you can really nail it for them. Building on these relationships is KEY!

A good way to do this is to say this when they say "it's not right for us right now or whatever" you say, "Thanks for letting me know personally I really appreciate it." here is the key assume they'll let you send your next one and continue with, "Next time I submit to you is there anything you would like to see that WOULD be a better fit for your (company, genre, taste, talent you work with, what ever you get the idea!)?"

They'll usually pause and say something like, "well we're really looking for a good action piece" or something or they may just say "nothing really comes to mind" then probe a little deeper by just asking casually, "I understand. Is there anything that jumped out at you that you would have liked to have seen from this submission?" Or something to that effect.

If they seem reluctant to say anything then don't press... just thank them and tell them it was nice talking and you look forward to working with them again in the future. But usually (if they actually read it as opposed to their reader) They'll say "you know we liked the idea but you need blah blah blah." Because if they accepted your submission based on your logline or whatever they DID like your idea at least initially. Hope this helps!
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
kidcharlemagne

Good advice DB

I do that exactly, although in the beginning I was also just saying, "Thanks for reading the script, thanks for calling me back etc." Then I'd kick myself for missing out on an opportunity to submit in the future. After having done that a few times and seriously giving myself a good ticking off I made damn sure that I asked them what they were looking for and with some of them I mentioned briefly what I was working on. If they like the writing then there's a good chance you have an open door next time.
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
sevoo
Banned

usualy how long is take to read your script? Recently I have send my script on 3 places...

Thanks. (if my English sucks -- don't tell me)
sevoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
dirtbottle

Sev- Depends on the prodco. Some turn it around quickly others take forever. I would say I've averaged about 2 months. Good luck!
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote