Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
elephant1978

Default Need advice for network meeting

I'm meeting with some executive at a network in regards to getting staffed. Can somebody tell me what I'm looking at here? I'm not sure how this works -- I thought showrunners hired their writers. Does this exec notify showrunners of who they like for a show?

Anything would help. Thanks!

Ele...
elephant1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
elephant1978

Default Re: Need advice for network meeting

Bump for desperation.

Ele...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
jimjimgrande

You are probably meeting with a manager of current programming or perhaps the next person up the food chain, who would be a director of current programming. These network executives cover shows their bosses (the VP's) assign them to and work with showrunners on issues from staffing to story and all points in between. If this person likes you he/she will likely forward your material to a showrunner on a particular show on which they think you might be a good fit.
jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Joe Unidos

"Network" has to sign off on EVERYTHING. I'm not going to say that it's a whole lot of people creating work just to justify their jobs, but...

Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
elephant1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimgrande
You are probably meeting with a manager of current programming or perhaps the next person up the food chain, who would be a director of current programming. These network executives cover shows their bosses (the VP's) assign them to and work with showrunners on issues from staffing to story and all points in between. If this person likes you he/she will likely forward your material to a showrunner on a particular show on which they think you might be a good fit.
Yes, that's exactly what it seems to be. So any tips? Should I show any interest in a particular show or let her decide what she thinks is best? How should I act here -- I know if I was meeting with the showrunner you need to let them know you're not only a sharp writer but somebody they'd want to work with on a day to day basis, but this chick is a suit. Is it any different?

Ele...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
jimjimgrande

I would brush up on all the shows they have on the air and more importantly, carefully read any pilots they are currently shooting. If they have a new show on the air that is doing well, be sure to compliment them on its success. I'd stay away from "I love that show, I'd be perfect for it!" and try to be a bit more subtle. Walk into the room informed about what she is working on and be prepared to talk about it.
jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote