Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
WritersBlock2010

Default Re: Bad Robot Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post

The only way I could read the post was with a Babel fish firmly inserted into my ear canal. It was pretty difficult to decipher, like on the level of the worst comments found on YouTube. If it was written with attention to punctuation (he cut sentences in half with misplaced periods) or grammar (I seriously doubted his fluency in English, and therefore his ability to get repped) perhaps it would have seemed more plausible.
Studios,

I normally would not even say anything about this, but your display of ethnocentrism and ignorance is highly offensive, to be blunt.

You criticizing someone whose first language might not be English, claiming there is no way this person could be repped -- and therefore, not a writer by proxy -- Tells me you have a hell of a lot of growing up to do before you should even attempt to get into this biz. Or any other industry for that matter.

Might I direct your attention to this post:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=52474

According to you, "Twilight" can't be a writer because English is not his first language, correct?

Guess what?

The guy was hired to write a Rom Com. That's a hell of a lot more than anything I've seen from you since your time here, pal.

You like to flaunt your disregard for authority and the rules by proclaiming you pirate movies openly... Yet you expect those in the business who do frequent this site to take you seriously?

Really?

Seriously, man, you need to grow the fvck up. And quick.

Your whole reaction to the OP reeks of jealously, regardless if you don't think anybody can see it. This is immaturity and all I can say is if you really want to get anywhere... Learn to be a little more professional and take this site a little more seriously than you do.

DD is a wealth of knowledge and contacts just waiting to be tapped... But you have got to make the effort to show you are worthy of what it has to offer.

What you don't know, or seem to care about is what you post is how you are perceived... And that perception might just be the key to a referral, an assignment, whatever because a lot of times those in this business will contact YOU because they like what YOU write a.k.a. post.

I have made several friends on DD who I correspond with off the site and they have been approached by real movers and shakers in this biz based on some of their posts. I also have been contacted numerous times by legit people wanting my advice and help on some projects, too.

It's like Jeff Lowell said, in another thread:

You can learn a lot about a person by just talking to them.

The same is true on the internet. Except on the net, is ALL about what you post and how you post it. It's your persona, or people's perception of you.

Here endth the lesson.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
joe9alt

Quote:
The OP told a paragraph-long story about how he cold called Bad Robot yesterday and pitched a female executive his concept over the phone. He said she liked it so much that she asked for him to send over a one sheet of more information, and that while talking to her he never once mentioned that he was repped with an agent and manager. He then stated that he'd seen the recent JJ Abrams (he spelled it Abrahms) thread and wanted to share his success story with the board as encouragement.
Yeah that probably happens like every twenty minutes in Hollywood. Why is that so far-fetched? He didn't even get a full on script read yet but hopefully he will.

Good on you, Deion.

Hopefully something good comes as a result of your bravado.

Studios....don't hate...celebrate!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
12916studios

Honestly, Writer'sBlock, note how I wrote "seriously doubted" -- as in past tense. I have no problem with a writer being a writer if English is not their first language (though what I wrote must certainly make you believe otherwise).

In truth, I think this might actually be an English speaking troll. After reading over the quote Mac.H snagged (how'd you get that, btw?), I realized that the the OP seems to have a lot of control over his writing, because some of the mistakes he made there are too egregious to be written off as accidental. Believe me, I know. I've done my fair share of work in the realm of baiting/badgering/etc., and there's an art to purposely f*cking up your writing.

(*SIDE NOTE: I spent a summer baiting a bunch of those Nigerian email scammers along into thinking I was a rich missionary from Los Angeles. The reason it wastes their time so that they can't scam some little old lady from Iowa out of her life savings. Part of this bait included taking on other personas, one of which was another Nigerian scammer.

This involved me having typing the messages as they do which if you have ever corresponded with them, is VERY INCOHERENT, distinct. But i had to write like that tp pass as one of them. Point is miming bad grammer. ect., is an art form, and in my experiance takes knowing THE STYLE how to write fakely liek that, to catch someone else when they are doing it to be a troll.)

If you want me to pick that post apart and look like an even bigger *******, I will. I knew I would probably come off as one here, and I accepted that. I made a decision that I wanted to call this person out. You can assume it's jealousy. That's fine. But if it really was, let me be up front with you, I'd have just told the guy I was jealous. I think you can appreciate that, given how candid I've been here?

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

12916studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
12916studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
Yeah that probably happens like every twenty minutes in Hollywood. Why is that so far-fetched? He didn't even get a full on script read yet but hopefully he will.
If this is true, I'm reeling, because everything I have ever been taught is that there is no way you will get past those assistants on a cold call.

F*ck, maybe I should call Bad Robot tomorrow, if only to see what happens.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
ihavebiglips

Quote:
If this is true, I'm reeling, because everything I have ever been taught is that there is no way you will get past those assistants on a cold call.

F*ck, maybe I should call Bad Robot tomorrow, if only to see what happens.
And who taught you this?

There are no absolutes. If you come off as an unprofessional prick, then yeah... I imagine you wont get far with them. But, you never know.

Call and inquire about an internship, if anything. Sounds like a dream gig for you, at this stage in the game.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
12916studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavebiglips View Post
And who taught you this?

There are no absolutes. If you come off as an unprofessional prick, then yeah... I imagine you wont get far with them. But, you never know.

Call and inquire about an internship, if anything. Sounds like a dream gig for you, at this stage in the game.
I don't remember who taught me this. It most likely originated on this site.

And I would love to intern there, I seriously would. If I could intern ANYWHERE (beside the Lost production offices) it would be under Abram's tutelage. He's molded some incredibly successful writers/etc over the last decade. But have no clue how to make that work, as my school gas no connections with any programs out there (so far as I know). I'll definitely look into it, though. But you know, doing this is something I really want (just never though it's be possible) So maybe I can find a way to make it work. Oh, and check your PMs.

Okay, my conscience just got the better of me. Sorry for acting like an enormous douche canoe in my above posts. I still don't believe the OP, but I apologize for the way I handled stating so.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
nuvuefilms
Regular

love the part about the exec, "even thanking me for the call". That's so funny. I'm sure the exec at one of the most successful prod co's was just playing solitaire when the assistant suddenly burst in the office proclaiming a writer cold calling was on hold asking to speak to someone in charge. And the exec, more than happy to drop everything (tell JJ I'll call him back), just took the call and listened to an unsolicited pitch, opening up the company to future lawsuits. This is so Bowfinger funny. Although, It would be much funnier to show up with no appointment and sit in the lobby with your script and mock up one sheet.
nuvuefilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #18
joe9alt

You seriously think it's impossible to get a creative exec on the phone and then pitch them?

I guarantee this happens every day in Hollywood.

I've seen and heard it with my own eyes and my own ears.

I'll be in the waiting area waiting for whatever exec I'm meeting with and you can hear the assistants taking these types of calls. Sometimes they joke around about them but I bet sometimes they're impressed and when they're impressed I bet they inform an exec that they came across a writer pitching a potentially great script. This is NOT far-fetched at all. Now is Deion telling the truth? Who knows. I tend to believe he or she is, because frankly, it's a very modest success they're alluding to...not even a script read yet...the exec just asked for a one-sheet (I also happen to know that the head of film at BR is a woman and her top film exec is also a woman...not that that proves Deion's story is true or anything).

The fact that many of you find this so preposterous makes me suspect the doubting thomas's are either humongous pussies or total shut-ins...maybe both?

Cold calling execs and pitching them...

Cold emailing execs and pitching them...

That's HOW you get reads when you're unrepped, people.

Now I know this guy says he's repped and that's a little weird but I've gotten a wild hair up my ass before and done some crazy **** without getting my reps' okay first. I wouldn't advise anybody else to do it but I've done it and who's to say ol' deion didn't do it, too???

It ain't like he's saying he banged nora ephron and she offered to co-write his next script.

He's saying he called an exec at a movie company, pitched her his script, she asked for a one-sheet, and thanked him for calling.

Happens EVERY DAY.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #19
nuvuefilms
Regular

Why aren't you cold calling every prod co in town?
You're smarter than that, that's why.

I have no clue why you are equating cold calling with email queries.
1 is industry standard.
The other is stupid and opens up a huge can of legal worms.

This convo is absurd, I'm not entering a debate about why telemarketing studios is stupid when you have an agent/manager or even a lawyer.
nuvuefilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
Mac H.

Wow - that's quite a hornet's nest here.

After all - the basic event (a cold call happens to get somebody in power who asks you to send more info, and ends the conversation with a 'thanks for the call') isn't unknown.

Heck - I got my first real job walked in through the door a major company unannounced - only to be greeted by the CEO who was standing their ready to talk to total strangers.

It was just a coincidence - he was at the reception desk because he was 'borrowing' a pen to write something down. I was there because I had a job interview the next day and I knew absolutely nothing about the company - but I figured I could fake my way through the interview if I read the annual report first - at least I could figure out what the company made! (This was the pre-internet era when you actually had to visit places to find out information.)

The reality was quite mundane - the position was so lowly it didn't really matter who they gave it to, and he didn't like the fact that the HR department was wasting time and money interviewing dozens of people for a position that was inconsequential. It's like a chef being disgusted at his kitchen staff spending hours on choosing the right brand of match to light the stove with. I just happened to be the nearest match.

But if I worded the story differently it would sound totally fake. ("Dude - I just walked in off the street and the CEO was there! He handed me copies of the last few annual reports and said don't worry about a resume - you've got the job!!" )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I suspect that it's not this individual post that was invoking the ire. It's the pattern of posts with the same theme - announcing yet another great victory as a professional writer, but with bad spelling and arbitrary capitalisation.

The series of posts might be walking like a duck and quacking like a duck ... but it could just be that a writer is having a run of success, yet is almost incoherent when writing on message boards.

Like a successful chef who can't be bothered cooking when he gets home, so ends up eating a TV dinner. It happens.

Mac

Last edited by Mac H. : 01-13-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote