Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
GaryG
New User

Default What does this response mean?

I sent a query to a producer and received an answer saying "I'd be happy to read your screenplay if you have your agent/manager contact me" (I don't currently have an agent/manager).

I get the impression that this is probably just a polite way of saying no, particularly since he said "I'd be happy to" rather than "I'd like to", but does anyone else have an opinion on this? Could he be genuinely interested? Thanks.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
SundownInRetreat

Default Re: What does this response mean?

I've no experience in this (yet) but it reads like he's willing to read if you have a manager (ie: you're not an off-the-street hopeful). In other words, it's a form of vetting. Don't get hung up on "happy" instead of "like" - it'll be read providing you have a manager. So I think it's a 'no' only if you don't have a manager.

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name

Last edited by SundownInRetreat : 07-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
-XL-

It's a polite way of saying no. Don't worry about it. Move on to the next.
-XL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
gridlock'd

More specifically, I think it's a polite way of saying they don't accept unsolicited material.
You need to be repped before he'll read. Like Sundown said, it's a form of vetting.
gridlock'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I sent a query to a producer and received an answer saying "I'd be happy to read your screenplay if you have your agent/manager contact me" (I don't currently have an agent/manager).

I get the impression that this is probably just a polite way of saying no, particularly since he said "I'd be happy to" rather than "I'd like to", but does anyone else have an opinion on this? Could he be genuinely interested? Thanks.

If he were genuinely interested, he would have requested your script. Any other response (we don't accept unsolicited submissions, have your rep call me me, check back with me in September, etc.) is just a different shade of rejection. Not all of them are necessarily closed doors forever, but if they're not asking to read a copy of the script and send you some other response that declines or puts it off, they're not interested in reading the script. If it caught their attention and they were genuinely interested, they would have asked you to send it to them.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
SundownInRetreat

Default Interesting!

SoCal, cool info. Why would they even offer an open door (get your manager to send it over) if it was a no?

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
SundownInRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
SoCalScribe

Default Re: Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
SoCal, cool info. Why would they even offer an open door (get your manager to send it over) if it was a no?
Sometimes people don't want to actually say no. Other times maybe they are mildly interested, but want to make sure you've at least been endorsed by someone else (like a manager) before they invest time in reading your work. But all of that is stuff you could waste hours and hours mulling over and analyzing. The best, truest, most accurate barometer of whether someone is interested in your work is if they request to read it when you query them.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Rantanplan

I've had production companies that wanted to read a script but only through a rep, and when I said I didn't have one, they said to send it anyway. In my experience you can sort of tell if they're interested or just being polite. Something like "this sounds interesting, do you have a rep you can submit through?" probably indicates that they do in fact find the concept appealing.

Since you don't have a rep, you could maybe ask this person if he/she is on VirtualPitchFest and submit that way for 10 bucks. A lot of people who won't open cold queries will read them through VPF.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
hockeyjason
User

Some people like to "big time you" as well.
hockeyjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Rantanplan

ETA re. VPF: that's for queries, not script submissions. However, many production companies with a strict "no unsollicited" policy have joined VPF and will read queries (and hopefully request scripts) through them.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote