Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #121
Hernan Giaggio
User

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

I still haven't decided if I'm buying this year's notes, but I went back and read the notes from the last time I was a semifinalist. They actually aren't bad. They definitely pinpoint some issues that I've since heard from producers and managers. I didn't listen at the time because I was working on the script with a producer, so his notes were what I focused on. But I'm sort of impressed at how well they pinpointed the issues in such a small space.

I will say, the QF-level notes are far superior to the first round notes.
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #122
GucciGhostXXX

I just want to know:

How does a script that goes to the head of the Lit Dept at CAA, they love it, then give it to a mid-level, they love it, it goes around town, town generally loves it... I do a fukk ton of meetings off it... CAA tries to package it... The talent agent digs it and gives it to his client to star in... HOW does that script do ZERO at Nicholl if it's read twice? AND... it's a fukkin DRAMA.

I bet I was signed to CAA that year and the winner of Nicholl wasn't. I should look that up. Would be interesting to know.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #123
Friday

It does seem like Nicholl has a very particular taste. Like the Oscars on steroids. I think writers don't necessarily buy the notes to help them with the rewrite, more out of fear of missing out on what's said. I have no idea how to write a Nicholl style script, so never entered it.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #124
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
It does seem like Nicholl has a very particular taste. Like the Oscars on steroids. I think writers don't necessarily buy the notes to help them with the rewrite, more out of fear of missing out on what's said. I have no idea how to write a Nicholl style script, so never entered it.
What genre do you write? What’s your style?

Yeah, my vibe definitely isn’t what Nicholl likes. That’s why I preach “just because Nicholl doesn’t like you doesn’t mean the town will agree with them.”
Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #125
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
What genre do you write? What’s your style?

Yeah, my vibe definitely isn’t what Nicholl likes. That’s why I preach “just because Nicholl doesn’t like you doesn’t mean the town will agree with them.”

Thrillers. Charlie Kaufman meets Gillian Flynn meets Diablo Cody.

Different competitions like Sundance all have particular tastes. I don't see a "There's Something about Mary" or "Diehard" faring too well in Nicholl.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #126
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Thrillers. Charlie Kaufman meets Gillian Flynn meets Diablo Cody.

Different competitions like Sundance all have particular tastes. I don't see a "There's Something about Mary" or "Diehard" faring too well in Nicholl.
Ahh interesting, I bet I’d like your stuff. ;-)

Yeah, pretty much everything but a micro script won’t do well in Nicholl. Or maybe I’m wrong, maybe they’d love a 100 mil action flick. Dude... I’m kidding! Ha!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #127
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Ahh interesting, I bet I’d like your stuff. ;-)

Yeah, pretty much everything but a micro script won’t do well in Nicholl. Or maybe I’m wrong, maybe they’d love a 100 mil action flick. Dude... I’m kidding! Ha!
You'd pinch yourself in excitement at experiencing such a monumental reading experience.
Add a social message to the script, it will fare better
Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #128
figment

The below is from their website. So, the bottom "Meaning and Magic" section I think is what Nicholl is looking for maybe more so than other competitions. Themes or thought-provoking stuff. So, a little less Taken and little more Goodwill Hunting, perhaps?
-----

Nicholl Reader Judging Criteria
Nicholl readers use the following guidelines to judge and score screenplays during the competition.

Story
Does the story have an original premise?
Does that story idea start the movie forward?
Does the story itself have a strong beginning, middle & end? How about two out of three? If the story is non-linear, does it make sense?
Does this script make you feel that the writer is taking you on a journey?
Does the story connect with you emotionally, whether it’s a comedy or drama or another genre?

Voice
Does the script have a distinctive and original voice? (Or do you feel that you’ve read or seen this movie before?)
Are the premise, story and characters new or fresh for you?
Does reading the script make you think, “This person genuinely has the potential to develop into a professional writer”?

Characters
Does this script have vivid characters who each speak in their own voice?
Do you want to know what happens to them?
Does the central character change over the course of the story? If it’s an ensemble film, does more than one character change?
Do the dialogue and tone seem consistent from scene to scene?
Does the way the people speak fit the tone and setting of the story?

Craft
Does this writer know how to use description and dialogue to create suspense, tension, drama, comedy and conflict? Does the conflict propel the story forward?
Do the main characters take actions that move the story along?
Are these actions in keeping with who these people are? Or do they happen “conveniently”?

Meaning and Magic
Does this script genuinely make you want to keep reading? Are the themes of the story thought-provoking, across genres? Is the story “about something” that might spark discussion among friends?
When you finish reading the script, even if it has flaws, do you still feel that there’s something special about it? Is there an indescribable “something” that elevates this script above the ordinary?
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 AM   #129
Vango
User

I have spoken with a couple Nicholl winners and I can tell you what they told me. Basically the Nicholl looks for several things. True stories, or original takes on true stories (a la inspired by), stories which are personal to the writer, stories which are historical, yet still relevant in today's political or social climate, and most importantly, winning the Nicholl is all about character. They want something with a lot of heart.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #130
bladebeam1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vango View Post
I have spoken with a couple Nicholl winners and I can tell you what they told me. Basically the Nicholl looks for several things. True stories, or original takes on true stories (a la inspired by), stories which are personal to the writer, stories which are historical, yet still relevant in today's political or social climate, and most importantly, winning the Nicholl is all about character. They want something with a lot of heart.
Wow, super interesting to read it layed out like this. Thanks for sharing.
bladebeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote