Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #41
Bono

Default Re: SCRIPT LENGTH: let's take a poll

Also the outline/treatment/prep work for you is different animal than if you know someone else like a rep/producer is reading it, approving it.

One can be written in YOUR style, the other one is more a TERM PAPER getting graded on. Who writers better when they know they're being graded?

There is something about trusting yourself as a writer that you learn as you go that I think is what they should pay us for -- I think it's called experience.

All i have is the facts. My laid out scripts done with reps -- tons of back and forth -- didn't go out. The scripts I wrote on my own -- no back and forth -- went out. So maybe it's not even the outline as much it is I get final approval for the first product and get to shape the art before I show it. Maybe that's what I need more than others.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
It seems like YOU DO KNOW.
Possibly... maybe I just answered my own question.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #43
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Also the outline/treatment/prep work for you is different animal than if you know someone else like a rep/producer is reading it, approving it.

One can be written in YOUR style, the other one is more a TERM PAPER getting graded on. Who writers better when they know they're being graded?

There is something about trusting yourself as a writer that you learn as you go that I think is what they should pay us for -- I think it's called experience.

All i have is the facts. My laid out scripts done with reps -- tons of back and forth -- didn't go out. The scripts I wrote on my own -- no back and forth -- went out. So maybe it's not even the outline as much it is I get final approval for the first product and get to shape the art before I show it. Maybe that's what I need more than others.

I hear you.

It's basically the process of: SHOW ME THE SCRIPT BEFORE YOU WRITE THE SCRIPT.

Kinda silly...

But, yeah, my best process: Write on location.

Which is likely why Tony G demands the studio put him on location to have a look around (Tony, if you're reading this [LOL] you're one of my favorite screenwriters! You rock bruh!)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #44
finalact4

for me, it's important to keep an open mind about process. each time it's a little different, but two times, when i was able to write each spec in about 12 twelve hour days, i used the same process.

i now use scrivener to do my outlines. bought it in january. for me, it's an amazing tool to outline a script. i have files in folders all in one place below the actual outlined beats of the story above.

and it's workhorse for material. websites, images, videos all right there in in ONE file.

location is also a part of my process.

so, i was very fortunate in the past two years, because even though i wasn't able to write even half as much as i used to, i travelled a lot. A LOT. we're talking more than 90,000 air miles a lot. and all over the US cities, London, Europe, Scandanavia, Cancun and even Cuba! now that's a location!

being at a real location can have an impact on your writing. i know people don't normally have this opportunity, but you can do this same kind of research virtually.

and because of it i have real tangible location experience that i can use, it gives my writing authenticity, confidence and conviction, at least i think it does.

the feeling you get when you sit in a space and write, like a bar or a restaurant or park, can be amazingly inspiring: lighting, mood, atmosphere, clientele-- you find characters, even down to the very swanky drink menu--

and entire sequence where my two main characters meet in this high end restaurant bar in Chicago called Maple and Ash, comes from a play on the double meaning of the actual drink menu-- so i encourage you to keep websites of cool places you've been, dives that can reinforce or compliment your tone. you can revisit their websites.

write in specific places. change locations. not all the time, but sometimes, can help with inspiration. shopping doesn't have to be just about shopping. you can use a high end gallery that sells pieces for $80,000 simply by walking the room, watching people, getting a sense of space and emotion that is found when you're AT A LOCATION. this can be where your characters meet for the first time. settings that are in contrast with your characters lives can add depth when we see how they react being in a space they're uncomfortable with. or how a character might "pretend" to belong in a space, know what i mean?

that way, when you need a specific KIND of space in your script, for whatever reason, you can recall how you felt in a space and imbue it into your script. i take pics of everything, food, drinks, people, the way the sun sets in a restaurant when the sun never goes down in the middle of summer. or a nightclub where it's twilight all night.

these are small details that can encompass a single line of description but are power-punches to the visual aspect of your screenplay.

screenplays are meant to be visual, too. you can use imagery to attract a director to your work. make your location a character, too. i'm always open to evolving my process. i am a visual writer so taking pics help me establish it in my mind's eye. that's part of my process, whether they're pics i've taken or ones i find online.

it helps if you've been there. lived there, visited there, but you can also find videos and pictures of places on line and retell what you see, whether it's manmade or a natural landscape.

location can do double-time-- provide inspiration of a location as well as inspire your writing by being in a new place, with new sounds, new people.

i researched the largest waterfalls on the planet in order to create the establishing shot of FOUNTAINHEAD in my screenplay. then, i took a memory from when i was a teenager where we would swim at this dilapidated dam and SWIM under and beneath the waterfall curtain. we'd swim against the current, really difficult then move to the center of the dam and leap out through the waterfall curtain... i've used it in two different scripts in two different ways.

every experience you've ever had is an opportunity to create a vivid world and since you actually lived it, you can bring it to live in your own scripts. not only that, but embellishing is an amazing tool as well.

sorry i kind of went off on a tangent for a while. my point is going to a location can help with your process, even if you never leave your office. what i'm trying to say, is that locking yourself in a location to write without distractions can be cathartic, but locations can do more as well. if your process is to escape distraction or provide distraction be open to trying new ways to find or evolve your process.

you won't know what works until you try something new.

remember, every place you go is an opportunity, even if it's being stopped at a red light in a busy intersection or being stuck in mid-town traffic on your way to dinner and the sun is setting behind you.

Last edited by finalact4 : 08-25-2019 at 12:06 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #45
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
for me...[snip]

Yup... agreed.

So... Tangent away.

For me, being on location (I was talking to these people asking "can we shoot here?" as I went. All of them we're like "Yup, lemme introduce you to ___.") is the fukking best! I loved it! Met so many interesting people along the way who made it into the script, by accident.

I've said it before on here, but I get a high from being in dangerous situations. And/or writing in a location that's illegal. What a fukkin BLAST that is! You'll learn **** you could never have known without actually being there.

Example: There's a pinwheel in a grave covered in dust fussed by the sweltering breeze? Cool, that's the fukkin opening shot! Swallows warbling in the abandoned mission, interesting, never would have thought of that. An old woman with corse white hair, face looks like leather, at an abandoned gas station before a fold out table selling ice and sitting along side an native American mannequin with gold tinsel in his lap. WHAT??? Dude, I never would have come up with that sh!t in my mind. Professional killers in Mexico inviting me to sit down and talk about being a hitman. Now we're getting somewhere. This is the sh!t I dig! How deep dive can I go? I wanna end up just shy of almost dead. Now I've got a cool fukkin story.

FUKKING LOVE THAT SH!T...

You can't get that experience online. Likely why that's my favorite script. I was there. I lived it.

If you can afford to... write on location! Fukk Starbucks! It will change your life.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #46
Bono

Am I the only one that doesn't always quote the giant post in front of them if I'm the next person posting? It's just hard to read as I keep scrolling and scrolling to figure out what the hell Gucci response was... I'm still scrolling... be done in 4 days...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #47
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Am I the only one that doesn't always quote the giant post in front of them if I'm the next person posting? It's just hard to read as I keep scrolling and scrolling to figure out what the hell Gucci response was... I'm still scrolling... be done in 4 days...
Quit being a pu$$y...

Blue (turquoise?) is them, white is me. HA!

Fine I'll stop quoting. Fukker!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
GucciGhostXXX

Look at it now!!!!!!!!!! Happy?
Old 08-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #49
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Quit being a pu$$y...

Blue (turquoise?) is them, white is me. HA!

Fine I'll stop quoting. Fukker!
you gonna listen to bono? do your thing, man. even tho i was rambling... haha
Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #50
Friday

Just quote it. It's hard to keep track.
Friday is online now   Reply With Quote