Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Bono

Default Re: Old Shorts

So you're currently working on a feature to write and direct?

You made other stuff (with footage?) but never finished a short film since college which you don't want to show?

Is that right?

Many first time directors make feature films and they didnt' do anything beforehand.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
we were talking about my background and they asked if I had directing experience. I mentioned directing student shorts and that was that.
If they asked for them, you gotta send 'em. Make sure you reiterate "Student Shorts".... otherwise they're going wonder what you're hiding, if you told the truth, or if you're uncooperative. I wish it wasn't that way, but thats how producers think.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
GucciGhostXXX

I just don't get why a producer even cares to look at 10 year old "Student Shorts"..??
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
If they asked for them, you gotta send 'em. Make sure you reiterate "Student Shorts".... otherwise they're going wonder what you're hiding, if you told the truth, or if you're uncooperative. I wish it wasn't that way, but thats how producers think.
This is second time you said this -- and you got a movie made -- but I don't think this is true. I mean no one can MAKE you send them.

Also I'm assuming this producer is up and coming and not established if we are talking about student films.

Also the easiest excuse ever is "MY MOM THREW THEM OUT." "OH CRAP THEY'RE ON 16MM..."
Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
This is second time you said this -- and you got a movie made -- but I don't think this is true. I mean no one can MAKE you send them.

Also I'm assuming this producer is up and coming and not established if we are talking about student films.

Also the easiest excuse ever is "MY MOM THREW THEM OUT." "OH CRAP THEY'RE ON 16MM..."
LOL... good ol "Dog ate my homework" approach.

Yeah, me, personally, fukk that! I ain't sending 10 year old sh!t. I'm lying and making an excuse NOT to. HOW CAN SENDING THEM HELP YOU? I just don't see it...
Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #16
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

I've gotten a dozen made. My point is they asked for them. Yes, you can do the "my dog ate them" thing... But you still need to show them something. Honest.

Selling writing is one thing... selling yourself as a director with no past successes, even with shorts, is another. It's not just actors who want this information, but finance people who get nervous with new directors want to be comfortable trusting their money with them. But hey.... I have no idea exactly what the circumstance is here really.... He should trust his gut and do what he thinks is best for him....
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #17
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
Comrades,

I made some short films in grad school for loose change (10 years ago or so).

Anyway, I am talking to a producer about one of my projects and he keeps pressing to see the short films.

Would you just go "ehhh fack it" and send him the shorts, maybe with a humorous intro about how old they are ?

Or would you just point blank refuse and explain that they are not a fair representation of where I am at now?

So on a practical level I feel like it wouldn't make that much of a difference whether this guy sees my shorts or not. But it's stressing me out a bit.

just curious
This ambivalence is how I feel about my reel, too. When I made the award-winning versions of the short documentaries (years ago), they seemed fine (they did win, after all). Not even two years after they were made, though, for me to look at them was almost like being waterboarded; I saw things that I could have done better or could have done differently to better effect. Viewing them later, they seemed “unfinished” and it made me cringe.

Then one day (also years ago) on the street near the National Geographic building, I happened to meet a world-famous, A-list documentary filmmaker. In the brief exchange between us, he encouraged me to keep going, to pursue my goals, and I would only continue to improve. To summarize the gist what he said in those few minutes was that a true craftsperson is never truly satisfied, but always striving to improve upon their work.

Satisfy the producer’s curiosity by unapologetically sending the short films. There’s something of you in them—your shot choices, your editing choices, their production value (albeit limited), all locked in time and place—that the producer believes that they are able, and probably would like to attempt, to divine from them. Their aim may be to see where you were then and where you are now. The only thing you might be able to say to introduce the short films is that you made them when you were a xx-year-old student and that they were made on a shoestring budget, but say little else (unless asked).

Otherwise, if you play hard-to-get (as Ed Fury and Klazart suggest), eyebrows and suspicions will be raised, which could be the first behavioral indicator of a precipitous slide downhill in your professional relationship with the producer.

Last edited by TigerFang : 08-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #18
GucciGhostXXX

FTR - I'm not suggesting playing hard to get.

I think I misunderstood where TP was at in the process with this producer. I thought they were already working together. If not, prob true that you just gotta send 'em. But, yeah, I'd be clear on how old they are etc.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
Bono

Part of the problem is I don't think the OP has cleared up all the details. We all could be right and wrong!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #20
TigerFang

Maybe this producer only needs to be able to tell others who are going to be involved in the project—those who trust the producer’s judgment—that the producer has seen TP’s work. All (my/our) suggestions may only be shots in the dark without complete details, which in this forum is not necessary or desired.

But when someone who has twelve film credits under their belt offers great advice, I would take it regardless of what I paid for it.