Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Bring yourself to your scripts

For some reason everyone was trashing Sorkin yesterday on social media... I don't even want to know... but I was watching Newsroom clips and something Sorkin loves to is talk about sports. Well his characters love to talk about sports. Because obviously Sorkin does.

So I was just thinking today -- this is the stuff you should bring to your work. We all do it w/o realizing it -- but think of what makes you - you. What you love. You're hobbies. Your favorite band.

Throw that stuff in, when you can. Bring yourself to the script.

There was some Actor's studio moment, that isn't online but here is the transcript -- this makes me think of this same point. Actors do it. Writers should too.

Jack Lemmon
The legend appeared on Lipton’s show in 1998. While discussing the film Days of Wine and Roses, Lipton mentioned a scene where his character admits he’s an alcoholic.

What happens next isn’t on YouTube, but even as just a transcript, it’s still one of the most powerful moments in the show’s history.

Lemmon: “Which I am, incidentally.”
Lipton: “Who?”
Lemmon: “Me.”
Lipton: “Are you talking as Clay [Lemmon’s character] now or as Jack Lemmon?”
Lemmon: “No, as Jack Lemmon. I’m an alcoholic.”

Lipton sat there in stunned silence. Lemmon’s wife Felicia later told the host that he had never told this secret to anyone but her.


He was pretty much praising his performance and all he did was be himself. Same goes with writing. How did you think of that? Well, I lived it. That is me.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Rantanplan
Member
 
Rantanplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

So in other words, write what you know?
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

NOW YOU'RE WRITING CLEAR?????

But yes.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

If Gucci was here, this thread would already be 10 pages long. I miss you, BRUH!!!! Is that how he spelled it? I'm already starting to forget his avatar face...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #5
megablahblah
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 151
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

I started my creative life as a musician, and while it took me several years to really understand that playing music was about conveying personal emotion (hey, who thinks about that stuff when they're 12?), it's something that I now naturally bring to writing.

I'm still working on the technical skill to convey what I want, but it's at least second nature to attempt to put myself into what I write. I have some deficiencies with premise/story, but I think I have a voice... so there's that.
megablahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

You do a voice -- and that's a great insight into what I was trying to say. Even more so -- I think I'd want to see you write a project with a musician at the helm. Or have one of your characters been a former band member from a huge band from 1985-1987. Take yourself and sprinkle it in.

My characters don't always like the same things I like -- but if it doesn't matter -- hell yeah I'm picking the pop culture stuff I enjoy myself.

But sometimes we forget what we have experienced in life or think that the 20 years of experience I have as a dog walker means nothing. But it can be everything.

Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class once in college and he brought that to Apple years later -- stuff like that is what I'm talking about. It was uniquely him. And those quirks of character are what makes them great. Sometimes we just make it all up -- but I find a lot of the best writers steal borrow and interrupt their own lives and other people's lives around them.

Was Indiana Jones afraid of snakes because SS or GL or Kasdan was? I don't know. But I do know that and his other imperfections is what makes it such a great character. So maybe you're afraid of flying and so is your character... you get it...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
jonpiper
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,593
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
He was pretty much praising his performance and all he did was be himself. Same goes with writing. How did you think of that? Well, I lived it. That is me.
I know practically nothing about acting.

For the sake of argument, it seems to me that a great actor should be able to perform the role of any character.

Could be that a great writer should be able to, after some research and soul searching, write about a multitude of characters and emotions.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
megablahblah
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 151
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpiper View Post
I know practically nothing about acting.

For the sake of argument, it seems to me that a great actor should be able to perform the role of any character.

Could be that a great writer should be able to, after some research and soul searching, write about a multitude of characters and emotions.
A handful of actors are chameleons, like Gary Oldman, but most are playing themselves in every role, just with superficial changes. Even character actors are the same, just with different clothes, accent, etc. Their speech patterns are almost always the same, they almost always do their own voice. Do you hire John C Reilly to see him act and talk like John Goodman?

Writers can mimic different styles, but that wouldn't be very unique. They can also write characters that are different than themselves, but the thrust of what they write is generally a reflection of their own beliefs, perspective, and personality of themselves or people they know.
megablahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
megablahblah
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 151
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
You do a voice -- and that's a great insight into what I was trying to say. Even more so -- I think I'd want to see you write a project with a musician at the helm. Or have one of your characters been a former band member from a huge band from 1985-1987. Take yourself and sprinkle it in.

My characters don't always like the same things I like -- but if it doesn't matter -- hell yeah I'm picking the pop culture stuff I enjoy myself.

But sometimes we forget what we have experienced in life or think that the 20 years of experience I have as a dog walker means nothing. But it can be everything.

Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class once in college and he brought that to Apple years later -- stuff like that is what I'm talking about. It was uniquely him. And those quirks of character are what makes them great. Sometimes we just make it all up -- but I find a lot of the best writers steal borrow and interrupt their own lives and other people's lives around them.

Was Indiana Jones afraid of snakes because SS or GL or Kasdan was? I don't know. But I do know that and his other imperfections is what makes it such a great character. So maybe you're afraid of flying and so is your character... you get it...
That's a cool idea actually. I was just reminded about this guy who was in a very famous band in the mid-80s for about a year (but only public facing for about 3 months) before getting fired, and his life afterwards was sh*t (drug use, prison, early-ish death).

I could do something inspired by that kind of situation, his life after he gets fired. I could certainly bring my failed musician experience to the table!!!
megablahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Bring yourself to your scripts

Quote:
Originally Posted by megablahblah View Post
That's a cool idea actually. I was just reminded about this guy who was in a very famous band in the mid-80s for about a year (but only public facing for about 3 months) before getting fired, and his life afterwards was sh*t (drug use, prison, early-ish death).

I could do something inspired by that kind of situation, his life after he gets fired. I could certainly bring my failed musician experience to the table!!!
Right on! This is what I was talking about in this thread... sometimes we look outside ourselves to find ideas when the best ideas are the crap we have been through.

Even when we think of an idea that has nothing to do with our life experience, what I was trying to say, you may add a little detail on page 89 that only you the writer would think to do because it's based on your life and POV. That's what I was saying.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker