Submit now for Staff Writer possitions in Los Angeles!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Submit now for Staff Writer possitions in Los Angeles!

Originally posted by KitesAreFun View Post
    If this is a legitimate enterprise, then I sincerely wish you the best of luck with it. But surely you're not surprised at the people here being dubious and having a "snarky" tone about someone wanting writers to work for no pay?
    Surprised, no. But if people are going to be dubious, they should do the homework first.

Comment

That is indeed one way to look at it. Best of luck with the project!

Comment

Just for sake of argument (I totally believe writers should get paid), you do realize that making a web series costs money and that most web series stream online for free. Creators, producers, directors, etc. get zero. There are some places that even CHARGE the content creators to have their web series be a featured web series!
        For the vast majority of original web series, there's no money in this kind of thing, at least right now. (Probably the creators should write it themselves, then...) But just thought I should point that out.
        Last edited by cvolante; 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KitesAreFun View Post
          Personally, I don't get why anybody would write for free on someone else's project. Everyone's worked for free at some point, but if you're going to go down that route for exposure, experience or whatever, you may as well produce it yourself. Come up with a concept that won't cost a lot of money to do, find someone to partner with and produce a web series. I've done it, and had some success. It's very easy to do. The biggest problem is finding reliable people, especially when there's no money involved.
          I suppose the reason to write for free on someone else's project is that you're not thousands of dollars in the hole from having produced it yourself but you'd still having a writing credit on a produced piece of work. But otherwise, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by invaderujin View Post
            Are you SERIOUSLY questioning the project because he wants a WRITING SAMPLE from potential WRITERS? YeahWrite's experience is in television - he's worked in both drama and sitcom and he's trying to assemble a tv-style writers room. And THAT sets off a red flag for you? Wow.

Tyler, if you don't feel comfortable with it, then absolutely don't get involved. But calling it "sketchy" is either intentionally trollish or comically misguided.

To the rest of you, there is absolutely nothing sketchy about YeahWrite's posting. If it sounds like something that interests you, get in touch with him. He's a ridiculously talented fellow.

The only thing sketchy about YeahWrite is that he's so busy all the time that it's near impossible to lock down time to get lunch together.
            What I meant was, if you are producing web content why are you asking for a TV Spec? Writing for TV and writing for the web are different mediums. Why not ask people for an original web series, rather then a spec of a currently airing show? I get that he wants to see quality, but I think a web series spec (or produced one) would show more ability to write in this niche.

The reason I called it sketchy is that it gives little information. I don't know YeahWrite, I haven't been around here long enough and by his post it didn't seem like he was the one doing it. It seemed as though he just stumbled on it and wanted to share it with the community.

I have no problem with this, I just wanted more info because I was legitimately interested. I was only off put by the fact that they don't list any projects they want to work on and they list nearly every genre possible.

Comment

Snarky on this board?! *GASP* That would never happen!
              "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

Working...
              X