Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: White House Down Trailer

I'll cop, I like Emmerich. Mostly. Didn't bother with 10,000 BC 'cause that's not my bag. 2012 was kind of meh. But otherwise most of his other stuff has been big dumb fun that still entertained me. He's clever with an idealistic streak, as opposed to other hackwork directors. He's kind of refreshing compared to Michael Bay's misogynistic bombast.

I also respect that even while he's blowing **** up left and right, his films stay mostly coherent. Light on the shaky-cam and muddy editing.

If nothing else, he's consistently interesting. And he seems to have a sense of humor going on beneath the mayhem.

ETA: Oh... and speaking of Uwe Boll, the man has pulled some grudging respect for more straight fare like Rampage and Assault on Wall Street.
    Last edited by Signal30; 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
      I think the issue at hand may be more, "Summer action blockbusters, should they be comic or serious?" This B.O. failure might put a notch on the side of serious.
      Or buddy action flicks pairing a white guy and a black guy, or movies involving the White House. We could also blame it on Maggie Gyllenhaal and her damn estrogen. Or was the hero not an alcoholic?

I should rely less on sarcasm as a vessel for debate, but I feel the logic here is spurious at best. The comedy trailer would keep anything sentient from seeing this movie, it was just plain bad. Bad chemistry, bad timing, bad jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
        Or buddy action flicks pairing a white guy and a black guy, or movies involving the White House. We could also blame it on Maggie Gyllenhaal and her damn estrogen. Or was the hero not an alcoholic?

I should rely less on sarcasm as a vessel for debate, but I feel the logic here is spurious at best. The comedy trailer would keep anything sentient from seeing this movie, it was just plain bad. Bad chemistry, bad timing, bad jokes.
        That's fair. Still, comedy trailer = comedy movie (in most people's eyes), and that was obviously something the public didn't want to see. Olympus Has Fallen seemed like a more serious movie from its trailers, and it did considerably better. Sure, it came out first, but as noted previously, the second movie in a Hollywood twofer sometimes does better than the first. I definitely think the tongue-in-cheek tone hurt this film.

Also, as FoxHound pointed out, there's a good chunk of people who wouldn't see an Emmerich film if they were paid to do so. He's all kinds of awful.

As for the politics, they fall outside the bounds of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
          This is every woman I know.
          I haven't seen Magic Mike and I still love Channing Tatum.

Comment

The tongue in cheek tone is mostly in the trailer. The film itself is not jokey -- it's mostly serious and, in fact, politically engaging. I found it entertaining and well-written, if implausible (as all action films are).

I think the lackluster box office reflects the fact that there were two attack-on-the-White-House film in two months. Unfortunately for WHD, it opened second.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
            X