This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacklist Question

Has anyone submitted their script on the Blacklist without a paid reading? I would love to know.

Re: Blacklist Question

Please feel free to search any of the previous threads on the Blacklist. You may find your answer there already.

Comment

If you don't pay for a read, NO ONE will stumble upon it. You'll get one view per month.
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

The reason why I asked the question is I read a lot of people either love it or complain about it. So for fifty dollars it has me a little concerned. However, after listening to the panel at the Scriptfest I am even more intrigued. It was very informative but I would love to know more. I have used Script Shark in the past. So, should I just chance it.

Comment

Also note that even getting on the e-mail blast isn't a guarantee for a read. I got three consecutive 8's for premise on 3 straight evaluation and got ZERO views.

Comment

Congrats for getting 8's. So how do you get reads on it? Would you pay the money again knowing that?

Comment

Originally posted by screenwriter1 View Post
              Congrats for getting 8's. So how do you get reads on it? Would you pay the money again knowing that?
              Probably not. Unless the script itself is given an 8, you're basically screwed.

Comment

LOL "probably"

Comment

It makes it kind of hard. On the one hand I would love to risk it but on the other hand it isn't cheap. I do feel good about the script that I wrote with a co-writer. It is a Science Fiction Comedy with a female lead. So, right now I am somewhere in the middle. I am entering the Acclaim Script Competition. I won a logline contest which helped me paid for the Scriptfest. I learned a lot so I guess then I will keep debating it.

Comment

Based on my experience, without a review your spec is basically invisible.

If you only pay for one review and you get 8s and above you'll have interest, mainly that first week, then it will seemingly become invisible once again.

My first evaluation (off a new revised draft) received three 8s and two 9s, which means it only qualified the one time weekly newsletter, which did result in several downloads. I was really lucky that I got a reader who really enjoyed the spec. And that's not to say it doesn't have flaws, it does, but the reader felt more strongly about the other aspects.

I waited before I decided to pay for the second evaluation, because I already knew it was somewhat polarizing material. It's a sci-fi action thriller, and you're always going to have those people who really dig at sci-fi with stronger criticisms, imo.

Fortunately, the high scores got me on the tops lists. Not the monthly one, because I waited too long, but it's the 12th on the list in the action-adventure genre. And as a side note, I remember counting who I could identify as women in the action category and there were like 3 0f 39. Just an interesting tidbit. Admittedly, there are a few rare names that I couldn't determine gender either way, and itnitials-- who knows.

Here's the link to the evaluation, if anyone wants to take a look at it...

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/26636

So, to date (Since the end of March) I've had 19 pro downloads. Of course, I don't know who they are, and have been told that bloggers can qualify for pro membership, though that is only hearsay. I'm sure there are industry pros who've read it. I actually had an agent and producer friend me on facebook, I can only imagine it has something to do with the Black List. There's just no other way to explain it.

I'll be rewriting it one more time this month, to get it ready for the Big Break and another contest with deadlines at the end of the month.

I keep it up on the site and receive at least one download a week.

I also sent out over 100 query emails to agents (silly, I know), managers and prodcos and I did have 6 strong requests-- anyone of them I'd love to work with, but it seems the Black List has a good return on your investment.

I've signed up for the WB Blind Script deal-- I know, dreaming again, but you never know. Maybe it'll hit the right person down the road. I am looking forward to the rewrite, the evaluation made some valid points. I am hopeful to have two more specs up this year--

Personally, I like the Black List. I think when you get to a point where you really understand that it's subjective, and kinda let go of what you can't control-- you see the Black List's value in a new way.

It's an opportunity to connect with the industry.

You can't make someone love your script. All you can hope for is the one person who will love it as much as you do. Recognize that it can take time.

If you can afford it, pay for the read. But if you think it's good enough to get on the top lists, pay for two right out of the gate-- that's a good strategy, imo.

I noticed today when I signed in, the Black List asked me to provide demographic information-- gender, race, nationality... not sure how I feel about that yet.

Anyway, I've blathered on for far too long.
                    Best,
                    FA4
                    Last edited by bmcthomas; 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                      Probably not. Unless the script itself is given an 8, you're basically screwed.
                      I think there are several scripts that have proven this to be demonstrably false

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I am considering taking the change after hearing that I am leaning closer to paying for a review.

Comment

We actually recently ran the numbers on this. About 24.9% of the scripts that host without purchasing a single evaluation receive at least one industyr professional download.

Out of curiosity FoxHound, those evaluations where you received an 8 for premise, what were your ratings overall?

Comment

Thanks Franklin that is good to know. I placed in the Ultimate Logline Contest for Female Protagonists. A female writer suffering from writers block develops a romantic bond with a man who she thinks is perfect, unaware that he is the alien from her story. I had a great time learning from your panel at the Scriptfest with Diablo Cody and Brian Duffield. It has made me more intrigued on the site. They said you were at the East Coast. However, your assistant did a great job. It was neat that they opened it up to questions after thirty minutes. It was really awesome so thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                              We actually recently ran the numbers on this. About 24.9% of the scripts that host without purchasing a single evaluation receive at least one industyr professional download.

Out of curiosity FoxHound, those evaluations where you received an 8 for premise, what were your ratings overall?
                              A 6 and two 5's. It's a killer premise so I was surprised no one even bothered to look.

Comment

Working...
                              X