Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

The KCRW iPhone app is really nice.

Comment

My iphone is now filled with podcasts. Thanks guys.

And too bad about Jeff Goldsmith. Hope he comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
        And too bad about Jeff Goldsmith. Hope he comes back.
        He's already on the way back.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Saw you post this in the other thread and had a few questions:

And for the thousandth time, all of the unrepresented writers on this forum need to combine execution with a commercial idea. Most here do not have the talent to go write just anything and knock it out of the park. You have to counter that lack of talent with commercial ideas.
          Does this ever really stop being true even if you are represented/sold/produced? Save for a very select few writers (Sorkin, Kaufman), I'd have thought commercial potential is still quite important, even if you are repped or have a movie coming out etc. Granted writers can and do improve their game, but I'd have thought that the act of becoming represented itself doesn't bestow you with extra talent, in which you'd still have to combine execution with a commercial idea?

And on a related note, do you feel that a writer's instinct for commercial projects is part of their talent? Speaking as someone who feels their ideas are better than their execution, there's always been a strong part of me that believes this to be the case.

Comment

michaelb.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. I appreciate the information you bring to the site. I'm sure others who are lurking do as well.

Question... It's come up a few times with regards to reps having their new clients sign commitment contracts, often for two year agreements.

What's your thought on this? Is it something your colleagues do, or don't do, and why?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
              michaelb.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions. I appreciate the information you bring to the site. I'm sure others who are lurking do as well.
              I second that, Michael, your insight is incredibly valuable. And since thus far it seems we've turned this into a michaelb Q and A, and thus far you've been generous, hope I'm not pushing too hard to throw another question at you ... (Of course, we all understand if you need to get back to your real work!)

What questions would you advise a new writer to ask his or her management prior to a script going out wide?

What does a new writer NEED to know about what could happen--from the one in a million of a big spec sale (what do you do? sit by the phone and wait for updates?) to managing expectations to taking generals, etc. ...

If a writer has aspirations beyond writing (directing, producing) is there anything you advise he or she does if and when a sale materializes to maintain some presence in the ensuing processes and ultimately production? Is there anything that can be done?

What do you tell, prepare, advise a client when you're taking one of her scripts out for the first time?

Lots of questions, don't mean to abuse your generosity, so any insight you can spare is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Be Not Nobody View Post
                Saw you post this in the other thread and had a few questions:

Does this ever really stop being true even if you are represented/sold/produced? Save for a very select few writers (Sorkin, Kaufman), I'd have thought commercial potential is still quite important, even if you are repped or have a movie coming out etc. Granted writers can and do improve their game, but I'd have thought that the act of becoming represented itself doesn't bestow you with extra talent, in which you'd still have to combine execution with a commercial idea?

And on a related note, do you feel that a writer's instinct for commercial projects is part of their talent? Speaking as someone who feels their ideas are better than their execution, there's always been a strong part of me that believes this to be the case.
                Commercial appeal is always important. That being said, there are those projects that are just executed so freakishly well, they are such beautiful stories, with such strong characters, they they succeed without being overly commercial.

Yes, just getting repped does not bestow extra talent on you. Still have to think about the bigger picture overall.

Yes, I think that some writers are more naturally gifted at coming up with ideas then others, but I also think that you can have a good team around you to help with that. I can't stress that enough (writers + reps = team).
                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

michaelb.

Question... It's come up a few times with regards to reps having their new clients sign commitment contracts, often for two year agreements.

What's your thought on this? Is it something your colleagues do, or don't do, and why?

EJ
                  Of course, happy to help.

I guess that just depends on the reps. Some agencies have contracts, some don't. Some management companies have contracts, some don't.

I for one am old school (though I am not old, but I do it the same way my boss/mentor does). I do it with a handshake. I'm not going to sign someone I think will screw me over, and vice versa. Once we've decided to work together, I'm your guy until one of us decides to part ways.
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Justin323 View Post
                    I second that, Michael, your insight is incredibly valuable. And since thus far it seems we've turned this into a michaelb Q and A, and thus far you've been generous, hope I'm not pushing too hard to throw another question at you ... (Of course, we all understand if you need to get back to your real work!)

What questions would you advise a new writer to ask his or her management prior to a script going out wide?

What does a new writer NEED to know about what could happen--from the one in a million of a big spec sale (what do you do? sit by the phone and wait for updates?) to managing expectations to taking generals, etc. ...

If a writer has aspirations beyond writing (directing, producing) is there anything you advise he or she does if and when a sale materializes to maintain some presence in the ensuing processes and ultimately production? Is there anything that can be done?

What do you tell, prepare, advise a client when you're taking one of her scripts out for the first time?

Lots of questions, don't mean to abuse your generosity, so any insight you can spare is appreciated.
                    Working on some notes right now and this will take a very long answer. I'll try and get to it soon (but didn't want you to think I passed over it/ignored it).
                    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Michaelb,

Something we see around the site is the moral situation a writer puts themselves in when it comes to querying more than one person at the same management company.

Is it bad advice or fair-game for a new writer to query all the managers at a company, and be read by different ones? Are their guidelines within man. lit. companies that try to prevent this, or is it as mentioned before, fair-game? Whoever finds a writer first, gets them?

EJ

Comment

No questions, just wanted to also thank Michael for taking the time to answer the questions he's been given 'cause I'm learning a lot from this Q&A. Very, very generous of you, Michael.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                          No questions, just wanted to also thank Michael for taking the time to answer the questions he's been given 'cause I'm learning a lot from this Q&A. Very, very generous of you, Michael.

HH
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                            Working on some notes right now and this will take a very long answer. I'll try and get to it soon (but didn't want you to think I passed over it/ignored it).
                            Michael--very generous both to get to it eventually, and to take the time to note as much. Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Michaelb,

Something we see around the site is the moral situation a writer puts themselves in when it comes to querying more than one person at the same management company.

Is it bad advice or fair-game for a new writer to query all the managers at a company, and be read by different ones? Are their guidelines within man. lit. companies that try to prevent this, or is it as mentioned before, fair-game? Whoever finds a writer first, gets them?

EJ
                              I've been wondering about this too.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Justin323 View Post

1. What questions would you advise a new writer to ask his or her management prior to a script going out wide?

2. What does a new writer NEED to know about what could happen--from the one in a million of a big spec sale (what do you do? sit by the phone and wait for updates?) to managing expectations to taking generals, etc. ...

3. If a writer has aspirations beyond writing (directing, producing) is there anything you advise he or she does if and when a sale materializes to maintain some presence in the ensuing processes and ultimately production? Is there anything that can be done?

4. What do you tell, prepare, advise a client when you're taking one of her scripts out for the first time?

Briefly answered the questions below. None are explained or answered very thoroughly, but I think they give you small bit of insight into your questions. (normally these are question clients/potential clients ask that I can talk about for an answer).

1. What questions would you advise a new writer to ask his or her management prior to a script going out wide?

- Ask them what their plan is. Do they plan to send it out wide to the town, or do they plan to send it to a very select few? Will it be going out with attachments or without? The key with all specs is to be strategic on what you want to accomplish. For a new writer, many times their first spec is to introduce them to the town, and while you hope it will sell, you really want to have it read by as many people as possible so they can go out and have a ton of meetings. This way they start to build their relationships and the town gets to know them.

2. What does a new writer NEED to know about what could happen--from the one in a million of a big spec sale (what do you do? sit by the phone and wait for updates?) to managing expectations to taking generals, etc.

-It could sell, but most likely it wont (just based of the %). Don't sit by the phone, you'll go nuts. Hope for the best, but be realistic and don't get your hopes up. Again, I say that in terms of a new writer. What you want the most out of your first spec is to have the town like your writing and get you a ton of solid meetings with people who truly like your work. That should be a win in your book.

3. If a writer has aspirations beyond writing (directing, producing) is there anything you advise he or she does if and when a sale materializes to maintain some presence in the ensuing processes and ultimately production? Is there anything that can be done?

-We always want you to be involved as you can be with the project, from rewriting the script, to having a chance to visit set. But it also depends on what size of film you are talking about, who is making it, and really, what level of writer you are. Sometimes you have a great relationship with the producers and they ask you what ideas you like for the cast, other times, once the project is sold, it's out of your hands and your reps just keep you up to date on what is happening. As far as them directing/producing, that is something I support, but I am also very honest with them about how challenging it is to get your first film made. That being said, I have seen writers go off to direct/produce, and do a great job of it.

4. What do you tell, prepare, advise a client when you're taking one of her scripts out for the first time?

-This is the fun and exciting part. It's exciting for us to. I always go into it wanting/expecting a sale, even though I know how rough the market is. I update them at the end of each day on what's happening with it, who likes it, who's taking it in to each buyer, etc. It's an exciting time. But like I said above, I am realistic with them. I guess I am a very optimistic realist. I'm confident that it will sell, but I know that's not an easy thing to do.
                                twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                                X