Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #41
ducky1288

Default Re: So, I saw Source Code tonight...

I went in expecting to be let down since I liked the script so much but I wasn't. It was refreshing. I read the script back when it first sold so my memory on the details are vague, which made it easier to enjoy. I liked the ending of the movie. I can't quite remember all the details of the ending of the draft I read, I just know it was nothing like what I saw on screen.

Overall I recommend it. Even my father in law walked out thinking it was a refreshing take between all the branding, comics, sequels. He said "it's like everyone's lost their creative juices." -- quoted.

I was thinking -- tell that to Hollywood lol

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #42
lordmanji

just saw it. loved the script, and though the movie was good in its own right. major weakness in it for me was jake gyllenhaal's acting. his character needed to have more gravitas and intensity. while jake had his moments, they were too few. i think actors who could've killed it are guys like ryan gosling or tom cruise (just remember mi 3's ending).
couple more things that bugged me were the reason the terrorist wanted to blow up the train, the lack of momentum at the end SPOILER jake even half dead still looking pretty good, and some of the exposition was shifted or edited out in a way that wasn't effective as the screenplay.

still highly recommend people to go watch it.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #43
lordmanji

PLOT HOLE QUESTION

how the heck does colter send a message to goodwin in the past at the end? i get that colter is sent into alternate universes and each time he dies as sean, he returns to the prime universe. but he does not send the message to goodwin while he's in the prime universe and hooked up to the machine, rather he sends it on the train and the message crosses universes and then travels into the past.

i remember in the script this was reasonably explained.
lordmanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #44
kirkbyoung
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
PLOT HOLE QUESTION

how the heck does colter send a message to goodwin in the past at the end? i get that colter is sent into alternate universes and each time he dies as sean, he returns to the prime universe. but he does not send the message to goodwin while he's in the prime universe and hooked up to the machine, rather he sends it on the train and the message crosses universes and then travels into the past.

highlight below, hidden due to spoilers:

I never read the script, but I interpreted the ending as all being a part of the last alternate universe - they kept telling him he could change things within the 8 minutes but it wouldn't change what had actually happened in the prime universe.

So when he sent that text, I saw it going to Goodwin within that alternate universe - where she's going in to work for the morning, unaware that had
the bomb gone off she would have been executing the first mission of the Source Code project - he sent a message saying "hey, just fyi, this whole source code project thing you guys are waiting to use? you're not going to use it this morning because the bomber got caught - but he only got caught because you used it in another universe. also, it's more powerful than you realize, because holy crap, I'm changing things and creating alternate universes that keep going past the 8 minute mark, and this is one of those universes." So she sees it, her mind is boggled with implication.

But that was just my interpretation, a few of my friends viewed it the same way you did.

And interpreting the ending as I did, I found it incredibly unsettling. The guy lives on in an alternate universe - but as someone else? Not only is that a bit creepy, but he now has to figure out the guy's house, relationships with family, job, financial situation, etc. He's having fun at the bean with the love of his life (having known her for 64 minutes, but really only like 32 if we estimate that half of what she says in each 8 minute segment is repeated from other run-throughs) but once they walk away from that it's going to get WTF real fast for him.

kirkbyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #45
montevideo
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmanji View Post
PLOT HOLE QUESTION

It's a cheat.

Last edited by montevideo : 04-05-2011 at 08:52 PM.
montevideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #46
ProBono Writer
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbyoung View Post
highlight below, hidden due to spoilers:

I never read the script, but I interpreted the ending as all being a part of the last alternate universe - they kept telling him he could change things within the 8 minutes but it wouldn't change what had actually happened in the prime universe.

So when he sent that text, I saw it going to Goodwin within that alternate universe - where she's going in to work for the morning, unaware that had
the bomb gone off she would have been executing the first mission of the Source Code project - he sent a message saying "hey, just fyi, this whole source code project thing you guys are waiting to use? you're not going to use it this morning because the bomber got caught - but he only got caught because you used it in another universe. also, it's more powerful than you realize, because holy crap, I'm changing things and creating alternate universes that keep going past the 8 minute mark, and this is one of those universes." So she sees it, her mind is boggled with implication.

But that was just my interpretation, a few of my friends viewed it the same way you did.

And interpreting the ending as I did, I found it incredibly unsettling. The guy lives on in an alternate universe - but as someone else? Not only is that a bit creepy, but he now has to figure out the guy's house, relationships with family, job, financial situation, etc. He's having fun at the bean with the love of his life (having known her for 64 minutes, but really only like 32 if we estimate that half of what she says in each 8 minute segment is repeated from other run-throughs) but once they walk away from that it's going to get WTF real fast for him.

I saw it in the exact same way. Really enjoyed the film. Anybody know what was up with the mirror bean and "Do you believe in fate?"?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #47
NoTalentAssClown
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBono Writer View Post
I saw it in the exact same way. Really enjoyed the film. Anybody know what was up with the mirror bean and "Do you believe in fate?"?
SPOILERS

I think it was a visual motif throughout the film? When Colter transitions from the real world to the source code, he flashes of images distorted through the mirror bean.

I haven't read the script, but as far as the film goes, some of the choices really diminished the stakes. Which really hurts in a thriller like this.

-I thought Goodwin and Ruttledge were too honest with him. Thought it might have been more interesting if they were a little more misleading with their information. For example, maybe they're not completely up front about the way the source code works. (That could have led to an ending that's not a total cheat)

-did anyone catch the newscast when the bomber is caught? They state that he started posted anti-govt messages on his web site six months prior to the bombing. Lolz. Eh, why bother checking the internet when you can use a multi-billion dollar experimental project to track down the terrorist?

-didn't like the fact that Colter was a barely-alive torso vegetable. Wouldn't the end of act II decision be so much heavier if he had the option to return to the real world just fine?

-I couldn't help thinking "none of this matters" throughout the entire film, until that horrible cheat ending came out of nowhere.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #48
MontanaHans

@snwrist: You're right. I forgot about the Cowboy love story. He was better in that for sure. I love the Jake G picks a wide range of roles, fun stuff, comedies, little indies, big sci-fi pics, love stories. Unlike, say...Leo DiCaprio, who ONLY plays verrrrry seeeeerious roles.

SMASH TO:

BLACK
MontanaHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #49
Biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaHans View Post
Unlike, say...Leo DiCaprio, who ONLY plays verrrrry seeeeerious roles.
Most of which require the same exact acting. Catch Me If You Can was great and refreshing, but ever since then, he's been playing the same two notes in every single movie he's been in.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #50
sherbetbizarre

Transcript: Duncan Jones Webchat -

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1242
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote