This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is too long?

Once the newbie has landed a decent rep, how long should that writer work with that rep until a script is sold, or sold and produced?

Many of you have busted my chops for sticking with my rep during a long, grueling process.

So, how long is too long? And how do you know that it is too long? And what do you do when you decide that it is too long?

Re: How long is too long?

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Once the newbie has landed a decent rep, how long should that writer work with that rep until a script is sold, or sold and produced?

Many of you have busted my chops for sticking with my rep during a long, grueling process.

So, how long is too long? And how do you know that it is too long? And what do you do when you decide that it is too long?
    I honestly don't think anybody can answer that question. I think it depends on so many things -- your manager's client load, your manager's priority, studio's priority, etc...

It's funny how writers come on this forum looking for an easy answer. There are none. When the time is right, your screenplay will take off. I had to learn this the hard way.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I figure it would depend on the client. If the client is happy with the progress he/she is making with the rep, then they should stay with them for as long as until they are unhappy.

Comment

Only you can answer that question. There are too many variables to consider. How about giving us more information regarding your progress with this rep and how long you've been with them? That's a start, but be prepared for some frank responses in here, this is one of those questions that usually leads to hurt feelings when th OP doesn't get the answer he wants.

Keep in mind, even when informed, we can't "answer" this for you,but merely provide suggestions.

I will however offer my own recent experience. I was with a large agent for 6 months, realized I should have signed with a smaller agent willing to work with me closer on my material. Nothing against the big agent but I went from zero to the biggest agency way too fast, I sort of skipped a step I felt was important, developing a relationship with a boutique agent first. Some will argue that I'm nuts, but I've found a smaller agent that understands and really supports my material, better yet is willing to go wide right away and kick some as* with me. The big agent was unwilling to go wide until I had a couple more scripts under my belt for him to get behind. He wanted to nurture me until I was ready. Problem was, he's not paying my rent, I am. So again, several variables to consider, no one can answer this but you.

Comment

It's usually the rep who decides how long is too long. If the rep reaches a point where he feels his newbie client's scripts aren't going to yield sales or assignments in the near future, he'll drop the client. Your script must be something really special for your manager to have remained interested in it all this time. My guess is he doesn't really consider you a client and is just hip-pocketing the one project.

Comment

If you're asking, it's already been too long.

In my case, I stayed with my rep (the one who "sold" MY HORRIBLE YEAR) for four long years before I finally wised up. There had been red flags all over the place, but I ignored them due to my strong sense of loyalty. Overall, it did me more harm than good.
            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

So, Telly, I gather that your personal answer to the question is that you felt that your financial needs were better served by the boutique agent because the one from the big agency wanted more scripts from you, scripts that would need to be written and thus require more time.

For myself, I would not consider my financial needs because I already have a career outside of movie writing. I do not need a sale to pay my mortgage.

My question to you, Telly, is: "If financial matters did not pressure you to make a decision, do you think that you might have stayed with the big agent?"

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                "If financial matters did not pressure you to make a decision, do you think that you might have stayed with the big agent?"
                Let me clarify, it wasn't out of a financial necessity. After re-reading that post I can see where I was misleading. I think developing a writer is just fine, they wanted to help me grow but that really meant, wait until you have more scripts to go out with. The problem is, I have a script that's ready right now and a prospective agent that feels the same way and has the connections to sell it.

I'm not saying this was an easy decision but after weighing several variables it's the one I chose. One note, I have a meeting with the big agent today to discuss this move. I want their blessing. I'm not burning that bridge and want to handle this amicably and professionally. We'll see what they have to say and I can update later.

Sorry I derailed this thread, not my intention. Hopefully it proves how every circumstance is different and needs to be analyzed on a case by case basis and can not be answered with one sweeping answer.

Comment

limama can you tell us a bit more about what red flags you noticed, if it's not too private? It'll probably help us all.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                    Only you can answer that question. There are too many variables to consider. How about giving us more information regarding your progress with this rep and how long you've been with them? That's a start, but be prepared for some frank responses in here, this is one of those questions that usually leads to hurt feelings when th OP doesn't get the answer he wants.

Keep in mind, even when informed, we can't "answer" this for you,but merely provide suggestions.

I will however offer my own recent experience. I was with a large agent for 6 months, realized I should have signed with a smaller agent willing to work with me closer on my material. Nothing against the big agent but I went from zero to the biggest agency way too fast, I sort of skipped a step I felt was important, developing a relationship with a boutique agent first. Some will argue that I'm nuts, but I've found a smaller agent that understands and really supports my material, better yet is willing to go wide right away and kick some as* with me. The big agent was unwilling to go wide until I had a couple more scripts under my belt for him to get behind. He wanted to nurture me until I was ready. Problem was, he's not paying my rent, I am. So again, several variables to consider, no one can answer this but you.
                    This will scare some on this site, but I agree 100% with Telly.
                    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Code7Films View Post
                      I agree 100% with Telly.

Comment

I had an opposite issue with the ex-manager -- sending out my first drafts to his studio contacts (not officially going wide, testing the waters) too soon, even when I specifically asked him not to on two scripts. I started to feel he was looking to others to decide if the script had potential. I'd expect a rep to come to such a conclusion themselves. I can understand floating a logline past contacts to see if anyone is in the market for such a concept, but he sent out my entire first draft scripts.

The upside of this was he let me read all the feedback and the one consistent note was that I had "writing chops." It was at least validation I could use as an excuse to keep at this death march in spite of the overwhelming odds against me. Ha! Also -- he was solid in the opinion I would never get an assignment unless I sold something and as a result never moved in that direction.
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I had a similar experience as LIAMA - I stayed with my first manager out of some false sense of loyalty for far longer than I should have. Looking back, that was a foolish thing to do, since I knew after a year that our business relationship had hit the skids (our personal relationship was amiable enough.) Then again, when I finally did leave, I landed with exactly the type of manager I wanted. So maybe it worked out exactly as the Fates designed.

Honestly, if you're having thoughts about leaving - which I gather is the case, since you started this thread - then you should really sit down and think about the situation you're in. Has it been beneficial to your career? Have you moved the ball forward or have you been sitting idle too long? What has this manager done to transition you from unsold writer to professional? Think long and hard, and be honest with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                            I can understand floating a logline past contacts to see if anyone is in the market for such a concept, but he sent out my entire first draft scripts.
                            That's not nice... Care to share his name through PM, SC?

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Actually, doc, I did not start the thread because I thought of leaving. I'm more interested in the rather metaphysical implications of representation.

The problem with leaving is similar to the question: "Should I dump my stock that is down 30% from its height, or should I hold until the market picks up?"

Holding rewards patience. Leaving solidifies losses.

Comment

Working...
                              X