Incredibly Original Epic Script...but...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incredibly Original Epic Script...but...

LOL, wow I never said all that now...

I have let quite a few impartial people, some professional writers, some normal peeps, some film buffs, and a professional script reviewer(paid for the service) read it.

So I have had alot of unbiased viewpoints, and some changes were made. Most of the average people were blown away by the story, even the professional script review said in his coverage that the script was "extremely ambitious, very original...somewhat influenced of the works of Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam. japanese anime, Asian Wuxia culture and even the work of Hieronymus Bosch, and that barely scratches the surface". So there is a little validation there already.

But anyways, its all subjective. I am just trying to do something I believe in as I am sure all of you are aswell. :P Oh, and already entered it in the Nicholls so we shall see!

Thanks again for the replies and advice!

Take care and keep dreaming!

-C.Harrow

Comment

Doesn't hurt to pay for professional coverage either.
      You can get quality feedback without sticking your neck out on the line.

If they like it and agree that it's polished, then query.
      Heck, they might even like it enough to refer you.

Anyone have that happen before?

Comment

Originally posted by BrosHarrow View Post

-C.Harrow
        Good luck. Let us know how it shakes out.
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by BrosHarrow View Post
          LOL, wow I never said all that now...

I have let quite a few impartial people, some professional writers, some normal peeps, some film buffs, and a professional script reviewer(paid for the service) read it.

So I have had alot of unbiased viewpoints, and some changes were made. Most of the average people were blown away by the story, even the professional script review said in his coverage that the script was "extremely ambitious, very original...somewhat influenced of the works of Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam. japanese anime, Asian Wuxia culture and even the work of Hieronymus Bosch, and that barely scratches the surface". So there is a little validation there already.

But anyways, its all subjective. I am just trying to do something I believe in as I am sure all of you are aswell. :P Oh, and already entered it in the Nicholls so we shall see!

-C.Harrow
          Sorry 'bout that, man. You can tell how jaded everyone in here is to writers with their very firstest, most wonderfulest, ultra-awesomest screenplay. We've all been that writer.

It sounds like you're taking the proper steps. But make sure you're being read by people IN the industry. People who read (and reject) scripts daily. I don't know what script service you used, but some are legit and some have zero feel for the pulse of the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
            Chris, next time you do a big project in a 60 mil range, write it as a graphic novel if you have the experience and resources! Own the creative rights. Tell them you're going to adapt. Hollywood masturbates to graphic novels.

Haha, too true.

Actually way ahead of ya. The script I am working on now is for a guy who owns the graphic novel and is getting ready to publish it, so he wants the screenplay ready. Working on my own graphic novel with an brilliant painter. I most certainly agree. I am also working on a directing book for the script along with writing a short film I am going to direct this summer!

Visuals sell ideas. As we all know.

Take care

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
              Chris, next time you do a big project in a 60 mil range, write it as a graphic novel if you have the experience and resources! Own the creative rights. Tell them you're going to adapt. Hollywood masturbates to graphic novels.
              No, Hollywood masturbates to established IP. Unpublished GNs were selling 2-3 years ago, now, it's just another investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                Sorry 'bout that, man. You can tell how jaded everyone in here is to writers with their very firstest, most wonderfulest, ultra-awesomest screenplay. We've all been that writer.

It sounds like you're taking the proper steps. But make sure you're being read by people IN the industry. People who read (and reject) scripts daily. I don't know what script service you used, but some are legit and some have zero feel for the pulse of the industry.

Oh, most definitely man. I sometimes even catch myself feeling that way when I hear about first time writers making it. Most times I GO INTO the material already convinced it CAN'T be good because somewhere I am validating myself. Honestly I believe its destructive behavior and could be evident of a little egotism. SO I try to avoid doing that.

Recently, about a month or so, this script called a Killing in Carnival Row came to my attention from a fellow writer as it somewhat reminded him of my screenplay, so of course I went into it LOOKING for reasons why it didn't work. But I stopped myself. That viewpoint just leads to negativity. I went in, a blank page, and I really enjoyed myself. I thought some things were a little predictable for the genre of the noir thriller, but the writer really did some great things that I don't see often if not EVER in screenplays.

I see why he got the Crash of the Titans gig.

Anyways, I just want to say that I enjoy discussing this all with you in a very...entertaining manner. At the end of the day, we are all artists striving to bring our vision to the medium we love so much, film. We should revel in that, and leave the negativity at the door. There is enough negativity in world already, lets not bring it into our dreams.

-C.Harrow

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                  No, Hollywood masturbates to established IP. Unpublished GNs were selling 2-3 years ago, now, it's just another investment.
                  I don't disagree. Established publisher. Not self-published. But creator-owned. Meaning not Marvel or DC. There are a handful of creator-owned publishers out there that are getting things done. He said he had resources w/ gns.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                    No, surfing sucks, don't try it.
                    Hysterical.

I used to surf twice a day when I first moved to Cali. Now, it's ridiculous how many people are in the water, especially if you shortboard. I rarely go anymore, but used to have some cool meetings with my old agent in the lineup...
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    15,000+ Screenplays
                    [email protected]

Comment

I see the mutt found a few strays for his pack. Hopefully you all don't get hit by a car while you're in the street licking your nuts.

Anyway, like every other thread that gets to this point, it's obvious from the pros posts what the truth is.

So take it or leave it, but remember this little nugget of zen:

"It is clear and so it is hard to see. A dunce once searched for a fire with a lighted lantern. Had he known what fire was, he could have cooked his rice much sooner."
                      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Dogtown13
                        Yeah true...

An acquaintance of mine used to sell them like water 10 years ago, fat deals hand over fist...though he is an established comic guy...now it's slowed way down.

Although, another buddy of mine recently sold one [first time GN - newer screenwriter]. So it's still possible, I guess, but you're not gonna get the type of money where you can "make it rain all over your bitches".

LOL...

Comment

Yeah true...

An acquaintance of mine used to sell them like water 10 years ago, fat deals hand over fist...though he is an established comic guy...now it's slowed way down.

Although, another buddy of mine recently sold one [first time GN - newer screenwriter]. So it's still possible, I guess, but you're not gonna get the type of money where you can "make it rain all over your bitches".
                          Dogtown...

I'm glad you reared your head in these parts. You're one entertaining mother******.

Comment

Anyway, what's the secret to getting your first deal faster than that? Enlighten us wise one. Lead us to flame. Swear to god, I'm listening.
                            You wanna know the secret?

"Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know.-

Now, go get your shoeshine box, .

Anyway, bask in the glory of the muttpack that you know have following you mongrel.

I wish you all the best of luck!
                            The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                              Dogtown...

I'm glad you reared your head in these parts. You're one entertaining mother******.
                              I totally agree. It's like channeling Charisma.

Comment

I miss Charisma.
                                Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Working...
                                X