Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scott M. Leddy - Empirical Management

@Hitman: I asked this very question to the manager I'm currently working with. He said that this sort of "ditching" thing does happen...if you happen to encounter a complete douchebag manager. When he said this, I removed Leddy from my phone contact list and decided he wasn't worth pursuing. Thanks for the props man!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
      @Hitman: I asked this very question to the manager I'm currently working with. He said that this sort of "ditching" thing does happen...if you happen to encounter a complete douchebag manager. When he said this, I removed Leddy from my phone contact list and decided he wasn't worth pursuing. Thanks for the props man!
      Thanks. That's a relief. I was starting to worry this might a common practise with all reps!

At least you managed to come though the experience and nab your self a manager you're happy with, congrats again, and good luck

Comment

After talking with MontanaHans and seeing what became of him, I have to agree with Montana.

He constantly kept saying that he could use my writing to get me work, yet it felt like he was completely screwing around with me instead of actually doing the job.

Although, now that we have this intel, I'm sure that I wouldn't want him representing me, period.

Comment

Maybe the otherside of the story is told a bit differently? Maybe the writer wasn't able to glean the actual events that led up to the missed meeting? Or how much one of the participating parties actually liked the writing. I'm just speculating though.

Maybe, just maybe that first conversation was misdiagnosed by one of the parties and they only heard what they wanted to hear? Maybe said manager 'first guessed' and made a decision that 'this guy' was the type of guy who might post on a message board anonymously and smear my name -- so i'm not getting involved with a guy like that. You know, first guessing.

I mean, we writers do tend to exagerate . . . or maybe not. Maybe your story is the entire truth. Maybe.

You only need to go to this post, an excerpt of a locked thread, to know all you need to know about Montana's 'process'. This thread now is an example of what guys like this do.

Wow this one got heated! Thanks for all the input guys.

Takezo: Of course I'm well aware of the HW tabboo regarding unannounced visits. But sometimes the rules need to be broken. Plus, I'm not as much of a "newbie" or "wannabe" as you might think. The reason I'm going to LA is to talk with a producer who hired me to write a feature for her. The script is done, and I've been paid. The film goes into production in Bulgaria in September. I'm also not an airhead. Thanks for your feedback though.

Bono: Yes, three managers have read my stuff, liked it, and I have a repore with them. I have never met them in person though, and unfortunately the material was passed on. I hope that they are repsonsive to my emails. Other than that, I thought I'd email and call a few managers with my stuff and hope for a response.
          [/I][/B]
          This business is run on the subtle hint. Not getting it doesn't mean you can smear a guy's name around.
          Last edited by darkestbeforedawn; 05-28-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkestbeforedawn View Post
            Maybe the otherside of the story is told a bit differently? Maybe the writer wasn't able to glean the actual events that led up to the missed meeting? Or how much one of the participating parties actually liked the writing. I'm just speculating though.

Maybe, just maybe that first conversation was misdiagnosed by one of the parties and they only heard what they wanted to hear? Maybe said manager 'first guessed' and made a decision that 'this guy' was the type of guy who might post on a message board anonymously and smear my name -- so i'm not getting involved with a guy like that. You know, first guessing.

I mean, we writers do tend to exagerate . . . or maybe not. Maybe your story is the entire truth. Maybe.

You only need to go to this post, an excerpt of a locked thread, to know all you need to know about Montana's 'process'. This thread now is an example of what guys like this do.

Wow this one got heated! Thanks for all the input guys.

Takezo: Of course I'm well aware of the HW tabboo regarding unannounced visits. But sometimes the rules need to be broken. Plus, I'm not as much of a "newbie" or "wannabe" as you might think. The reason I'm going to LA is to talk with a producer who hired me to write a feature for her. The script is done, and I've been paid. The film goes into production in Bulgaria in September. I'm also not an airhead. Thanks for your feedback though.

Bono: Yes, three managers have read my stuff, liked it, and I have a repore with them. I have never met them in person though, and unfortunately the material was passed on. I hope that they are repsonsive to my emails. Other than that, I thought I'd email and call a few managers with my stuff and hope for a response.
            [/i][/b]
            This business is run on the subtle hint. Not getting it doesn't mean you can smear a guy's name around.
            No idea about Montana's process, but it's not just Montana who's talking about this behavior. More than a few people have mentioned Leddy's failure to show up or respond.

Now it very well could be that this guy just doesn't know how to say no, which is why there's a backlog of people waiting to hear from him, but a professional picks and chooses his "yesses" and "nos".

HH

Comment

Originally posted by darkestbeforedawn View Post

Maybe, just maybe that first conversation was misdiagnosed by one of the parties and they only heard what they wanted to hear?
              I don't know Montana from Adam. But I can't see him pulling 4 dates and times out of his ass based on conversations with Leddy. Someone says they're going to be at a certain place at a certain time, then they should be there unless they call back to reschedule or cancel. Period.

Sounds like Montana upheld his end. On four separate occasions no less. That's 4 chances for Leddy to have upheld his. Leddy failed on all 4.
              PuppyTummy.com

Comment

There is no excuse for not returning Montana's phone calls, especially when Montana called to see what was going on and why the (I'll be generous here) 'misunderstanding about the meeting day/time.' Not showing up is bad enough but not returning a phone call/email to clarify, I mean to hear ABSOLUTELY NOTHING EVER AGAIN... don't you think even Gandhi would probably have been pretty pis*ed off?
                Last edited by tucsonray; 05-29-2011, 09:21 AM.
                Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

@DarkestBeforeDawn: "Subtle hint" I can take. "Big Fvck You" I'm not such a fan of. Plus, I'm not sure what your point is with that old post.

For the record, DD, I am not exaggerating. And I did not misunderstand any intentions. He was the one who requested an in person meeting (didn't want to do a phone call).

At in person meeting #1 - which was NOT at his so-called "office" on Wilshire - he texted that he was a "running an hour late". Okay, I can work. Two hours later another running late text. Kept working. He "rescheduled" to the next day. No worries.

Next day. Same place. Three hours AFTER he said he would call about an exact meeting time, I get another text about missing the meeting. He'd like to reschedule into KOREA TOWN for an evening (7 PM I think) meeting. Hmmm, strange, Koreatown...but okay. No location yet BTW. No call at 7. Waiting at sleaze Mid City bar. No call at 9. I call and text and email. Nothing.

That was over a month ago. I have not heard a word from him. Others on this board have heard from him. Why not me?

Reputation is everything in this business.

Smear campaign and factual reportage are two very different things, DD. I think you are the one who needs to get some facts straight. Perhaps he should treat writers better if he doesn't want his "methods" posted on a SCREENWRITING MESSAGE BOARD IN A FORUM ABOUT MANAGERS. Also, some of the PMs I've gotten about him have included phrases like, "at my wit's end" and "haven't heard a thing since" etc etc.
                  Last edited by MontanaHans; 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Montana... I fully agree with you. My 'misunderstanding' bit was an understated attempt at 'no one could possibly believe there was really a misunderstanding'... Guy sounds like a total nightmare.
                    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

@Tuscon: Thanks for the support! I completely caught your original inflection with "misunderstanding" in quotes.

@Harold & Iknownuffin: Thanks guys, much appreciated.

@DarknessBeforeDawn: The Bulgarian film you brought up in my old post comes out this summer and stars Christian Slater and Donald Sutherland.

Am I missing something here? Isn't the whole purpose of this forum to give us peon screenwriters a place to talk about the Manager and Agent Gatekeepers of Hollywood? To compare notes on how they operate? Are we only supposed to talk about managers who are great fun to work with?

This Message Board is like the Yelp of the screenwriting world. On Yelp, if you serve bad food, you will get bad reviews. Crazy world we live in...
                      Last edited by MontanaHans; 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

This thread kind of makes me mad. I know the guy in question on a personal basis (he refuses to rep me until I develop more as a writer yet at the same time gave me extremely insightful notes) and I can say he is one of the hardest working, harried guys I've ever met. He had a stack of scripts he was trying to read from unsolicited writers and it was a Saturday afternoon when I last saw him. I asked 'why read so many unsolicited scripts' and he replied 'i was a writer once. I know how frustrating not getting read can be and I want to give everyone a fair shake.' or something along those lines.

I told him he was gettiing bashed on this board and he told me I didn't need to defend him, but I feel I should. This thread wouldn't even happen if he only read scripts of agent or producer referrals like most do. If he can't take a meeting, im guessing he has other **** to do. It's the business. Things fall through all the time. Time is money. If you guys spent half the time perfecting your craft as you did bitching on message boards you'd be repped by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
                          This thread kind of makes me mad. I know the guy in question on a personal basis (he refuses to rep me until I develop more as a writer yet at the same time gave me extremely insightful notes) and I can say he is one of the hardest working, harried guys I've ever met. He had a stack of scripts he was trying to read from unsolicited writers and it was a Saturday afternoon when I last saw him. I asked 'why read so many unsolicited scripts' and he replied 'i was a writer once. I know how frustrating not getting read can be and I want to give everyone a fair shake.' or something along those lines.

I told him he was gettiing bashed on this board and he told me I didn't need to defend him, but I feel I should. This thread wouldn't even happen if he only read scripts of agent or producer referrals like most do. If he can't take a meeting, im guessing he has other **** to do. It's the business. Things fall through all the time. Time is money. If you guys spent half the time perfecting your craft as you did bitching on message boards you'd be repped by now.
                          I'm sure he is overworked, but it's not how a professional acts.

I worked with a guy (non-writing related) who was a great guy. Affable, and always willing to take on whatever project I gave him. Except he couldn't follow through. After cleaning up his mess for the third time ('cause there was always a reason he couldn't do the work), it was time to let him move on.

Sounds like Leddy is trying, but a true professional follows through on his commitments, and learns to prioritize.

HH

Comment

^^^^cosign with Harold^^^^

@Hilario: You'll notice that I started this thread as an innocuous question about info on the guy. Anything after that he brought on himself with his own actions. As I told DarkestBeforeDawn. There's no bashing going on here. This is all factual reportage. This is what happened. Too bad if you don't like us talking about it. This is America. As a Screenwriting Community we make our own decisions based on the "reviews" of how managers and agents operate in this industry. If this is the way Leddy works (standing people up, breaking promises, etc) he's going to have a hard time finding clients to stick with him. That's all. Not sure how you and DD could possibly defend such classless behavior from a so-called "professional." To be honest, if he had just called or texted or emailed that he was sorry, I probably wouldn't have even mentioned the meetings on here. But he didn't call. Which means he didn't care. Which pisses me the fvck off. Also. Saying things like "If you guys spent half the time perfecting your craft as you did bitching on message boards you'd be repped by now," on a message board, is not going to earn you many pals around here.
                            Last edited by MontanaHans; 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Not exactly hard evidence here Montana. And I'm not surprised you don't understand the essence of the post, it's because you are unable to.

The conclusion I draw from this entire thread and reading the other thread is you are the type of person that doesn't get it. You're the guy with no personal boundaries. The M.O. of 'that guy' is not knowing when to back off.

You're the quintessential water cooler nightmare . . . I'm sure if we got the real story from Leddy, we'd get a story about a writer who doesn't know how to take a hint.

When they stop calling. You stop calling them.

DBD

Comment

****, I would be mad if a manager and I had numerous meetings but didn't show up or respond. I don't think people are questioning him as a manager but more as a person. I think that's real low making meetings and not showing, it's called common courtsey and this guy doen't know what that means.

Comment

Working...
                                X