No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best recent war films.

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
    GREAT movie, can't believe I forgot this one. It's fairly battle heavy as well.
    Originally named "Red Flag, Black Sand" (a much better title in my opinion)

Not really a "war" movie but the combat scenes in Children of Men are pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
      Not recent, but recently restored/cut to dvd, THE BIG RED ONE.
      I just found this in my DVD collection a few weeks back. Totally forgot I ever owned it, lol.

Definitely going to watch it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        I just found this in my DVD collection a few weeks back. Totally forgot I ever owned it, lol.

Definitely going to watch it soon.

I've done that Biohazzard, it's when you buy a second copy that it gets a tad worrying!

Btw, I found BRO very "modern" if that makes any sense, possibly because it's got that cynical edge unlike the earlier patriotic war flicks. Usually get hooked on a film, esp. war films, and watch them a few times over in as many weeks!

Oh and Hamburger Hill was another surprise, saw it as a teen, then rediscovered it, and for bleak and unremitting hell, but still a lot of action, CASUALTIES OF WAR. If you fancy a Vietnam carnage feel to the weekend!
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Since "Casualties Of War" and "Hamburger Hill" have been mentioned, I'm going to hijack the "recent war movies" dictate and mention the "Restropo" of its day: "A Face Of War." http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/revi...B3668383679EDE

This was a truly sobering documentary account of Viet Nam I saw so many years ago thinking I was gonna see a "cool war movie" and instead left the theater in shock.

Quoting the review: "Most of the time the camera rides the shoulders of the point squad of the company, half of whom were either killed or wounded during the filming."

Comment

Working...
          X