No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Franklin Leonard

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    Ha! Is that what someone actually said? That's even worse than saying nothing at all.

I mean, you CAN do a search for 'Reader Endorsed' scripts. That means the script has received at least 2 scores of 8 or higher. So any Indy Pros searching for the 'Best' scripts could do that.

Right now there are 90 scripts hosted (out of 3400) that fit that criteria.

If you do a search for 'Most Popular + Reader Endorsed' my script is #26.

You know who searches that way? NO ONE (I've never had a download when I wasn't on a Toplist).
    yes, they actually said that. but, i get it, i fully understand, because let's say someone pays for two evals and the get a 7 and they get an 8 the eight gets the attention. so what if that same person pays for ONE eval and the first one is a 7, they are unfairly knocked out of consideration. the next three evals they get could all be 8s, but they stop because they didn't get an 8 first out.

i haven't been on the top lists for a while, but i still get the occasional downloads. maybe two or so a month. not that it has mattered yet. Wasteland gets them, too, less often though.

i'm grandfathered in at $25 for these two specs. i suspect that when i ante up for Tinder it will go up to $30.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

What is VPF? I honestly have no clue. Never heard of it.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        Hmm. Idk.

Truthfully, I've kinda been all over the place with my new rep (my fault, just how my brain works). But, he seems fairly down with me trying different sh!t if the idea is good.

Imagine: I came to him first off with an EPIC sci-fi (feature), you read those pages. Then we dusted off a political drama TV show that I'd previously developed with a Rudin-type. Then a horror (feature). He straight out told me, with this type of horror (brutal, ugly, not cartoonish) we're gonna get people who feel we're trying to make the world a worse place. It'll definitely be tough. Cool, thanks for taking that risk with me, I wanna try. He was right, everyone hated it, I still like it (let me direct it and you'll see that it's cool... very stylized). Now, we're out with a drama TV show based on... WHO DOES THIS?... my own life.

That's, what, 4 different genres?

Just say'n... not sure you need to worry about different genres under the same rep.

But, absolutely, if people dig this new drama. Yup, I'm now the drama guy. Let's run with that. I'll stay in that lane.

Idk... this business is nutty. No telling what will WORK.
        i hope i find a rep like that. i think some of those genres are pretty close to each other-- not sure the leap from dark thriller to rom-com will appeal to the same group. it'd be fantastic to find someone who is willing to open up all opportunities.

nice title.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

POINT: I wouldn't super hold onto your dream of your EPIC getting made. Why am I told "We fukking loved it! But, we can't offer you a job." Huh? Again, then why am I sitting here? I could be at the beach not wasting my time.

i'm not. wrote it to show i can handle a blockbuster.

i'm trying to drop the budget and adapt to a pilot, as you saw.

i'm planning on writing the first novel, book proposal really, which was recommended (that or GN) by the few indy pros that read it.

was thinking about sending it to Heroes and Villains since they like to create their own IPs. what could it hurt? i like Markus-- listened to his podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            i hope i find a rep like that. i think some of those genres are pretty close to each other-- not sure the leap from dark thriller to rom-com will appeal to the same group. it'd be fantastic to find someone who is willing to open up all opportunities.

nice title.
            Yeah, I think if you're paying attention you can see that ALL of my stuff has a similar through line (Glam vs Grit). All of those stories have that thematic element/engine, so, to me, it's not a stretch. Also, all of it is dark.

Rom/Com may be tougher, but I bet there's a through line you could point out to say "see... this is still in my wheelhouse, it really ain't that different (thematically) from the epic sci-fi.-

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              i'm not. wrote it to show i can handle a blockbuster.

i'm trying to drop the budget and adapt to a pilot, as you saw.

i'm planning on writing the first novel, book proposal really, which was recommended (that or GN) by the few indy pros that read it.

was thinking about sending it to Heroes and Villains since they like to create their own IPs. what could it hurt? i like Markus-- listened to his podcast.
              Cool. Same. That's why I wrote the epic sci-fi... to prove I could handle epic blockbuster world building/fresh HUGE set pieces. Truth is, while I did get some "fukkin awesome script!- responses most didn't care, too expensive for even a sample. Swear to god... I think it hurts you, I think they think you are delusional enough to believe it'll actually get MADE. I knew from word one it was never getting made, but you can't explain that if you can't get a meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                I don't think I've ever said anything really negative about the Blacklist -- I'm all for free market economies and due diligence and all that good stuff, but

their TECH DEPT. sucks. They either need to fire everybody or maybe go buy a used algorithm from Netflix or something.

When I am (pretending I'm a producer) looking at a horror script with a 7.5 rating, and I click on one of the 'Similar Script' titles in the upper left hand corner, and I get a comedy with a 3 average, it causes me to lose faith in the credibility of your brand.

Likewise, the search function is not as useful as it should be (perhaps on purpose -- Like everything else on the site, it's transparently ambiguous).

When you search through the 3400 currently hosted scripts on the website, you can narrow the field by 'Most Rated' and 'Most Popular'.

My script is currently in the top 30 Most Rated, which SOUNDS great...

except that it's 10 spots lower than a script where the author has purchased 31 paid reviews, only to wind up with a combined average of 1.8 (not making that up... I would say it must be a prank/joke, but he's already spent over $2400).

What would be much more useful to everyone, would be the ability to narrow the search field by HIGHEST RATED scripts, which is obviously the most useful metric.

But to do that would take away from the allure of the monthly and quarterly top lists, which are not free to get on.

That fact that the BL refuses to let people search the highest rated scripts on the website is what leads to the frequent pay-to-play accusations.

I still like the site, but boy is it hard to defend sometimes.

I would like to see how many downloads the writers who get less than 8 actually get. If no one wants to download scripts with less than 8, what's the point of hosting? Maybe, just have a separate service and charge for premium notes...and if it gets the magical recommend, then pass it up the food chain. Who is going to download a 3?

Comment

This question is more about something pointed out in another thread and not the Blacklist. Writers have to start over all the time and it's not likely a smooth journey. So do these producers and managers keep a database of script coverages and options and then see "Oh, she was formerly repped; or this script didn't do so well at this production company." Or maybe even fellowships keep track of scripts and their scores. Just curious if there's a scarlet letter that follows you around. You improve as a writer, year by year, even month by month. So, just wondering if some script you optioned years ago will stick with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                    This question is more about something pointed out in another thread and not the Blacklist. Writers have to start over all the time and it's not likely a smooth journey. So do these producers and managers keep a database of script coverages and options and then see "Oh, she was formerly repped; or this script didn't do so well at this production company." Or maybe even fellowships keep track of scripts and their scores. Just curious if there's a scarlet letter that follows you around. You improve as a writer, year by year, even month by month. So, just wondering if some script you optioned years ago will stick with you.
                    Nah... I don't think so. No one cares about you, unless they do. Also, you can always reinvent yourself as a writer. If you're "cold" you can turn right around and write something amazing and suddenly be hot.

I'll admit it, I've "crapped out." I got the golden ticket and blew it with a big producer. Taught me A FUKK TON about strategy. This producer took me under his wing and I fukked it up by being too arrogant. Don't do that! (Meaning, I thought I knew what I was doing, had 2 scripts out at the same time that were doing well for me. "I got this Hollywood sh!t. I get it!" It's EASY! Nope!). Namely, never go off and write an entire script when they merely ask for an outline. THEY'LL HATE IT! Because they have zero mental equity in the game. Never do that, they won't be impressed. The "pass" phone call will last exactly 30 seconds. That script got exactly ONE read, and that's all it will ever get.

RULES: Follow them as they pertain to navigating the industry, ignore them as they pertain to navigating script formate. IMO.

Comment

RULES: Follow them as they pertain to navigating the industry, ignore them as they pertain to navigating script formate. IMO.
                      I def agree with this.

Comment

Why.
                        Won't.
                        This.
                        Thread.
                        Die?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          Why.
                          Won't.
                          This.
                          Thread.
                          Die?

If you kill it, three more will grow in it's place. You will only make it stronger.

Comment

Nah... I don't think so. No one cares about you, unless they do. Also, you can always reinvent yourself as a writer. If you're "cold" you can turn right around and write something amazing and suddenly be hot.

I'll admit it, I've "crapped out." I got the golden ticket and blew it with a big producer. Taught me A FUKK TON about strategy. This producer took me under his wing and I fukked it up by being too arrogant. Don't do that! (Meaning, I thought I knew what I was doing, had 2 scripts out at the same time that were doing well for me. "I got this Hollywood sh!t. I get it!" It's EASY! Nope!). Namely, never go off and write an entire script when they merely ask for an outline. THEY'LL HATE IT! Because they have zero mental equity in the game. Never do that, they won't be impressed. The "pass" phone call will last exactly 30 seconds. That script got exactly ONE read, and that's all it will ever get.

You seem to have landed on your feet with a nice manager. I'll keep that in mind. I probably would have made that mistake of writing out an entire script.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              Why.
                              Won't.
                              This.
                              Thread.
                              Die?
                              Just for that I'm going to personally see to it this thread lives for as long as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                                Just for that I'm going to personally see to it this thread lives for as long as I do.
                                I too would like to contribute to the eternal longevity of this thread...

Let.
                                There.
                                Be.
                                Life.

And just like that, in two posts we're back. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X