Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Results - Scare Me!!! contest

End of the month, well, we're nearly there. I like the software these boards use, whatever that is, the simple design, colours, overall look, it's just easy - many other boards seem to be a bit of a faff to circumnavigate around by comparison.
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
      End of the month, well, we're nearly there. I like the software these boards use, whatever that is, the simple design, colours, overall look, it's just easy - many other boards seem to be a bit of a faff to circumnavigate around by comparison.
      vBulletin. Almost all the forum sites I like run it. And I agree, clean and easy to use, especially well done at Done Deal Pro. Crackberry (a Blackberry phone forum) has actually managed recently to screw up their vBulletin implementation -- but I think they had to work hard at it to make such a mess. Up until a month (or so) ago it was clean and easy to use also.

Well, Done Deal Pro's forums are still up -- so there is still some hope.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Well, Will says the forums will "roll into May," while (hopefully) someone gets a GoFundMe campaign rolling. So does that mean we have time for (at least) one more contest? Maybe one with a little tighter deadlines?
        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Maybe we could make a poll, regarding deadlines.
          I have the feeling that no matter how long is the deadline, most of us write the week or days before it finishes.
          Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
            Maybe we could make a poll, regarding deadlines.
            I have the feeling that no matter how long is the deadline, most of us write the week or days before it finishes.
            I think you're right. I wasn't even going to write one last time, but saw that deadline had been extended and decided "what the heck." I would like to see something like a four day deadline -- and three more days to judge. So a contest started and finished in a week (except for the comments).

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
              I think you're right. I wasn't even going to write one last time, but saw that deadline had been extended and decided "what the heck." I would like to see something like a four day deadline -- and three more days to judge. So a contest started and finished in a week (except for the comments).
              I like that.
              Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                vBulletin. Almost all the forum sites I like run it. And I agree, clean and easy to use, especially well done at Done Deal Pro. Crackberry (a Blackberry phone forum) has actually managed recently to screw up their vBulletin implementation -- but I think they had to work hard at it to make such a mess. Up until a month (or so) ago it was clean and easy to use also.

Well, Done Deal Pro's forums are still up -- so there is still some hope.
                VBulletin. I keep hearing about this, Dpat mentioned it to me a few times, is this actually a type of software, that allows you to shape the boards to suit your needs and tastes within certain parameters?
                Last edited by The Road Warrior; 04-30-2017, 05:52 AM.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

You guys are crazy-insane, but to make it [just possibly] even more crazy-insane, how about a 1 day contest. Written and finished in one evening, we open the starting gate on say.... a Wednesday morning.... or even more insanely.... a Wednesday evening, entry is finished and entered by Thursday morning 9am.... any night owls will have the edge I suppose in this kind of thing.

Slower writers and rewrite-maniacs will be burned off the gates right at the outset.

The timid will... well... just watch and cry I guess!

We are going to have to think through a strategy for this kind of thing guys and gals, even perhaps try out a stream of consciousness approach or leave our comfort zone and comfy chair....... just go for it, or two characters in a fix, or some such technique or methodology to save time and ensure that it even makes sense.

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 04-30-2017, 03:32 AM.

Comment

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see "Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2" -- it's a customizable message board package, install and tweak to suit your preferences. Costs money, though... which is kinda stating the obvious.

It's been hella difficult to drum up interest in previous contests, you've all seen the deadlines being extended time and again in the hope someone else might join in. If anyone has the juju to somehow magic more contestants into existence, that would be great!

Comment

... and to add to what Dpat said: it is painful for the admins, too, to ask again and again and again for entrants, to beg almost, for just a few pages of script.
                      You end up feeling a bit daft or frustrated and very weary, I do it probably because I like it when a plan does come together, as they used to say in the A-Team, cigar in hand, but it's really not pleasant to beg day after day and SCARE ME, was the worse, by far!
                      You get fed up with the checking in too, in a way, to see if any more hands have been raised, in fact, I said to myself that I'd not probably run another one, for a long time, let somebody else step in.
                      Kind of put me off, you just think - why do we bother?

Thanks for the explanation of VBulletin Dpat.

Comment

VBulletin. I keep hearing about this, Dpat mentioned it to me a few times, is this actually a type of software, that allows you to shape the boards to suit your needs and tastes within certain parameters?
                        Actually not a "type" -- but a brand. There's others, but I think vBulletin is the biggest.

https://www.vbulletin.com/

Comment

You guys are crazy-insane, but to make it [just possibly] even more crazy-insane, how about a 1 day contest. Written and finished in one evening, we open the starting gate on say.... a Wednesday morning.... or even more insanely.... a Wednesday evening, entry is finished and entered by Thursday morning 9am.... any night owls will have the edge I suppose in this kind of thing.

Slower writers and rewrite-maniacs will be burned off the gates right at the outset.

The timid will... well... just watch and cry I guess!

We are going to have to think through a strategy for this kind of thing guys and gals, even perhaps try out a stream of consciousness approach or leave our comfort zone and comfy chair....... just go for it, or two characters in a fix, or some such technique or methodology to save time and ensure that it even makes sense.
                          I wouldn't mind a one day contest, but not as the norm because that would eliminate entrants for reasons like they had to work late, or got sick, or anything that could take you out on one specific day -- with four or five days (five days to write and two to judge, maybe?) you have a little more leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                            It's been hella difficult to drum up interest in previous contests, you've all seen the deadlines being extended time and again in the hope someone else might join in. If anyone has the juju to somehow magic more contestants into existence, that would be great!
                            I know, but I think part of the problem -- at least for me -- is that when everything is kind of left up in the air (especially when there's a couple weeks or a month to talk about the parameters of the contest) it tends to lead to procrastination. If the exercise was announced something like ...

New contest ... must meaningly use the words, antelope, Kit Kat, xylophone, argute and aardvark in a short screenplay of no more than 8 pages. Entries accepted starting today (or such and such date) and will be closed on (such and such date, four or five days from the announcement or from the starting day specified in the announcement). After the entry deadline, judging will be closed on (two or three days later).

Then, even if no one enters, at least it's clean and over, with no cajoling writers to join in.

I'm probably wishful dreaming, but when I was younger and we had similar exercises on misc.writing.screenplays I used to get an entry in about two to three hours (I'm older and much slower now).
                            Last edited by Centos; 04-30-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

... and to add to what Dpat said: it is painful for the admins, too, to ask again and again and again for entrants, to beg almost, for just a few pages of script.
                              You end up feeling a bit daft or frustrated and very weary, I do it probably because I like it when a plan does come together, as they used to say in the A-Team, cigar in hand, but it's really not pleasant to beg day after day and SCARE ME, was the worse, by far!
                              You get fed up with the checking in too, in a way, to see if any more hands have been raised, in fact, I said to myself that I'd not probably run another one, for a long time, let somebody else step in.
                              Kind of put me off, you just think - why do we bother?
                              I understand. I don't envy you guys. I just wouldn't worry about getting a certain number of entries. Just set the deadlines and go -- if it doesn't work, it doesn't work -- but at least it would be short and painless.

I also think the SCARE ME contest had unusual issues (like whether the board was going to shut down) working against it. I admit I kind of felt "why bother?" on this one and, when I did enter, it was more or less "why not?"

Now, if Will actually allows a GoFundMe campaign to proceed (he still seems to be waffling on this), I think these forums will continue and we'll have that specific worry off our backs.

(I'm rambling again, sorry.)

Comment

How the exercises I used to like worked ...

Back in 2003, we were issued a challenge on misc.writing.screenplays to write a short screenplay using the following elements ...

1. aardvark
                                2. cactus
                                3. Roman stadium
                                4. violin
                                5. sea otter
                                6. tuning fork

Working out a story around around specific (and odd) elements like this always made it easier for me. I guess because, right away, you've got a head start. Instead of trying to come up with something from scratch -- you've got a puzzle to solve. The creativity is focused on how to solve that puzzle.

(The short script has been moved to forum Script Pages Feedback. I didn't figure I could inflict enough pain here.)
                                Last edited by Centos; 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X