Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walk In Queries

Appreciate the advice and comments. The fact that no one has posted anything positive about the idea, or a success story, seems to echo your thoughts.

Lesson learned the easy way!

Comment

Another small FYI but something to consider when planning a trip.

The Sundance Film Festival is January 6th-26th and because of this, a lot of people will be out of town or out of commission or both.

Aside from actors' pilot season, things are kinda slow until February.

Comment

I'll chime in and disagree with those saying stay put where you are so you can write scripts and build contacts from afar. If you want to move to LA, just do it. There are more resources here like UCLA extension, which I've done twice and greatly benefited from, and people who can give you feedback in writers groups. You also need to build relationships, not contacts. It's the people you're close to (i.e. friends) who will wind up helping you most.

And if you're younger and have no family commitments to worry about, moving out here is really easy. Just pack all your crap in your car, drive out, find a roommate, find an assistant gig, and get going. Wasting months or years writing across the country will lose you valuable time to build relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
          Also a month in LA is not much time. Sometimes it takes someone a month just to read a script. Some people have been out here for years and are just now gaining traction.
          It's just enough time to drive from LAX to the Valley on the 405.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
              Wasn't it last year that someone left a script in a briefcase at one of the agencies and the bomb squad ended up coming and blowing it up?
              I think it was 2012. I could be wrong...

I agree with everyone else. OP: DON'T F***ING DO IT, PLEASE? It's a waste of money. Just write. Query. Enter contests. If you're going to LA, plan to stay, get a job as an assistant or an background extra (though I heard the pay for an extra is less in LA than NYC) and work your way up. Your plan is F***ING DUMB.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                No kidding. I live in SCV and I hate meetings on the west side.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                  No kidding. I live in SCV and I hate meetings on the west side.
                  I feel your pain. I'm in SCV too.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                    Don't.

Do.

This.

This would show such a fundamental lack of understanding for how the business works that you will probably end up on lists with security. Seriously, you are completely wrong. Don't do it.
                    Concur.

Comment

It's interesting seeing the comments on here, comparing them with other stories you can find all over the web of writers and actors successfully carving their niche in the market by moving to LA, and actually speaking to successful people in the industry.

Mike Clattenburg (really famous writer, director & producer in Canada) shared this with me, and it's probably the last word on it for me: "You can be a writer anywhere, but if you're going to be a smart screenwriter, you have to make noise where all the noise is."

He basically asked me why I'm not out there yet. He's lining up an internship for me, which will help, but I'll still have to "make noise" on my own out there. Guess that means turning back to drinking.

While I'm not inclined to do walk ins, I feel like moving to LA is a no brainer at this point. Spending years sending emails, hoping to get a bite, seems far less effective than actually connecting and networking with the people who matter face to face. And I've been told by lots of people that contests and conferences are fool's gold, a nice way for lesser knowns in the industry to earn a quick payday at the expense of wannabes like myself.

If all else fails, I can always move back home.

Comment

Use email queries and phone calls.

Comment

While I'm not inclined to do walk ins, I feel like moving to LA is a no brainer at this point. Spending years sending emails, hoping to get a bite, seems far less effective than actually connecting and networking with the people who matter face to face. And I've been told by lots of people that contests and conferences are fool's gold, a nice way for lesser knowns in the industry to earn a quick payday at the expense of wannabes like myself.
                          It seems you figured it out. There's a huge difference between "Walk In Queries" and establishing local contact should you move. Networking with new-found friends, acquaintances and co-workers no matter where you end up would likely serve you well. Moreover, finding a reader, PA position would lead to even more of a trove of contacts.

Still, email queries and contests shouldn't be discounted as entirely feckless. Even when you get there.
                          " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by realphipps View Post

If all else fails, I can always move back home.
                            No one says you shouldn't be trying to meet people and network. It's just a bad idea to come out and target these people's place of work when you'll never get close to them there.

Go to places where writers, execs, assistants hang out and absolutely network and put yourself out there. They're much more inclined to chat or what not because they are on their own time.
                            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

The question is, how long do you expect to live in LA?

The people who answer "indefinitely" are the ones who make it.

The people who answer "6 months to a year. I'll make some contacts, sell a script, and then I'll be able to write from back home" don't make it.

And when you do get here:

- Contests
                              - Queries
                              - Subtle networking (getting an industry job and making actual friends)
                              - Shameless networking
                              - Unorthodox attention grabs
                              - Self-producing

These are all tools that can get your *great* script into the right hands.

None should be discounted. None should be your all-in strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
                                I'm planning a temporary move to LA, probably boarding a plane on the 21st, and I'd really like to have all my ducks in a row before I get out there.

I plan on doing some walk in queries, if that makes sense, while I'm out there. Honestly, it's the only reason I'm going. I'm comfortable and confident with face to face interaction and feel like this is my best course of action to "be found" by an agent or talent manager.

A couple of questions....

1.) Do any of you have any experiences with this route? Successful or not, I'd like to hear your stories.

2.) Is this inappropriate?

3.) What are the "must hit" agencies/managers while I'm out there using this method?

4.) Any suggestions on how to approach this? Materials I should have on hand, things I should say, suggestions on wardrobe... any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The place to use your sales-schmoozing skill set is at film festivals and similar events - Austin, Sundance, AFM, Toronto, even Cannes if you can swing it.

At these events everyone is only there for a short time, and more open to meeting new people, making connections, etc.

Also, check out this book if you haven't already:

http://goodinaroom.com/giarbook/
                                If you really like it you can have the rights
                                It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
                                X