No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Deal Leverage With A Nicholl Fellowship

Hi All,
    I was wondering if a first-time screenwriter were to win a Nicholl Fellowship from the Academy, does that typically give the writer more leverage in negotiating a deal than a writer discovered via the standard channels: query letter, phone call, etc? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
    harriswj

Re: Getting Deal Leverage With A Nicholl Fellowship

You mean, would you get a better deal if you're a Nicholl Fellow than if you're not? I can't imagine why you would.

It's easier to get read, to be taken seriously, and if you look at a domino effect, it's possible that being a Nicholl Fellow will help you get the kind of representation that will in turn get you a better-negotiated deal, but other than that, I see no connnection.

I could be wrong.
    my webpage
    my blog

Comment

Re: Getting Deal Leverage With A Nicholl Fellowship

It won't instantly put you on par with a top working screenwriter, if that's what you mean. However, winning the Nicholl could increase your chances of making your first deal. You will be introduced to people in the entertainment industry. Many will be more interested in reading your script than they otherwise would have been. Many will take you more seriously than they otherwise would have.

Not all winning Nicholl scripts are considered saleable commercial properties. But if yours is, and you have multiple people fighting hard to get it, and a powerful agent to back you up, you might have some extra leverage in negotiating a deal.

Comment

Working...
      X