Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Ravenlocks

Default Escalating tension

Each scene is supposed to build on the one before it so the story flows instead of feeling episodic. Anybody want to talk about specific methods you use to block out this rising tension/sense of building as you're outlining?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Hamboogul

Default Re: Escalating tension

I wish I knew.

I tend to think in terms of wants and hopes.

Initially, the wants of one character works opposite the wants of the antagonists. But then you build the internal hope which often works against the want.

So in addition to the want of one working against the want of the antagonist, you have the hope of the protagonist working against the want.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Natlang
New User

Whenever a character solves a problem, it can directly or indirectly backfire and cause a new, bigger problem(s). It doesn't have to be linear, though. Maybe three of the small solutions combine into a bigger problem, and solving that problem leads to three more small problems that eventually lead to a huge problem. There's no limit to the possible substructures, as long as the audience is constantly surprised about the results of an action and it always leads to greater stress for the protagonist.

Somewhere in the middle of Act II it should cross the point where a casual viewer might think they're hitting the climax. Then keep ruthlessly piling it onto the poor protagonist for another 30 minutes.

Leave a few problems unsolved up to and through the whole climax, which preserves some lingering suspense even during the big confrontation. Then those loose ends can be tied during the resolution.

Just the way I see it... Probably everyone has a unique way of building tension.
Natlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
whistlelock

I generally say to myself, "what would be the worst, most idiotic thing that someone could do in this situation that will lead to the most public humilation? Okay, let's do that."

whistlelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Alyssa Runswithwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlelock View Post
I generally say to myself, "what would be the worst, most idiotic thing that someone could do in this situation that will lead to the most public humilation? Okay, let's do that."
That would be my advice too.
Alyssa Runswithwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
Ravenlocks

Good answers. I think I can use them all in various ways. That's cool. Thanks, guys!

P.S. I like your sassy icon, Hammy.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #7
whistlelock

I rule.

whistlelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
Biohazard

Rising tension basically means that things get worse, and that basically means 'don't repeat the beat'. If your hero almost gets caught, don't have them almost get caught again. Have them get caught.

Every time things seem to be going well, they get worse; and every time things seem like they can’t get any worse, they do.

Look at every scene in your script and ask yourself: "What's the worst that could happen?" Then have that happen. This is often quite fun to think over.

I'd like to elaborate on some examples, but I'm strapped for time right now, so I'll just say that in Star Wars, the likelihood that the Death Star would be destroyed is microscopic once the heroes dive into the trash chute. The whole Death Star sequence is a great example of things going from bad to worse.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
vig
Banned

like life.

you are expecting a call for a new job that you need to pay your rent. but when you get home the door is locked cause you didn't pay your rent and the cell phone is inside and your landlord hates you.

you climb through a window as you hear your phone ring, you get in the house and answer it but the phone dies.

the door opens and it's the police arresting you for breaking in and entering. you use your one call at the police station to call the person you think called for the job and the police tell the person on the other line that you are obligated to tell you that this call is being sent from a holding cell in jail.

that kind of thing.
vig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
magicghost2977
User

wow vig, you had a rough friday night
magicghost2977 is offline   Reply With Quote