Spielberg's ON THE LOT: anyone entering?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spielberg's ON THE LOT: anyone entering?

Well, they're advertising Spielberg's ON THE LOT filmmaking reality/contest tv series on AMERICAN IDOL (lots of publicity there, yayyyy!)

I recall an old thread commenting on it ...

http://www.thelot.com/

Anyone entering a film? Deadline's Feb. 16! Prize is $1,000,000 production deal and a tentacle in the Hollywood door, hey? That's gotta make some DD'er happy to win!

So, anyone entering their short? Let us all know where to see and support your film!
    sigpic
    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
    -Mahatma Gandhi.

On The Lot

...After a global search, applicants will be winnowed to a group of 16 talented filmmakers.
    Winnowed?

I'd rather submit my film to a "film festival" than be "winnowed" by the people at Fox and, if among the sixteen entries selected, be judged by a American television audience, each week in a process of elimination. There's a reason why "American Idol" spawned a show called "Canadian Idol." "Global search," eh? Sounds more like musical director's chairs, (Hollywood-style).
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Winnowed

Deadline for submissions is now DECEMBER 1ST 2006. If you have already submitted a film based on the old deadline, you have the option of re-submitting a new film as a replacement. You must submit the film online, fill out a new application, and indicate this is a replacement film. The old film will no longer be considered. ~ Posted, after entrants wondered about the September 1st deadline, on October 25th
      Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked:
      According to the application's rules, it says if you get selected for the interview process, "you must be willing to travel at your own expense to one of the cities closest to you." That, I don't have a problem with. Now, in March or April is the 8 day trip to LA at the producer's expense. That's not a problem either, BUT if you're selected to be a participant, you must be able to live away from home for up to 4 months. My question is, how can anyone with a family afford to do that? I work for the Postal Service & I sure don't have enough paid leave for that long. ~ Posted on January 17th
      So, if you're not an American resident, you better get a "green card," too, (I suppose). "Worldwide search," eh?

Comment

Re: Spielberg's ON THE LOT: anyone entering?

The son of a bitch stole the title of one of my scripts, and all you're worried about is bias against Canadians? There are bigger issues here for God's sake.

-Derek

Comment

Spielberg

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
          The son of a bitch stole the title of one of my scripts....
          The dirty rat! You're absolutely right! Now, I see it!

I should've recognized your style of writing when I first heard of TUMMY TROUBLE!

Shall we toss cabers at him?

I just like the enthusiasm of Burnett and Spielberg of getting "talented" directors who'll write, shoot, edit, and present various genre films in a week's time, (working against that tight deadline), when they have themselves extended their deadline for submissions from September 1st (2006) to February 16th (2007).

As a protest, (as soon as I buy a television set), I'm not going to watch this show.

Comment

Anyone know when this will start airing? Assuming they do it American Idol style-- about the singing and not watching the contestants snipe while having to live in the same house-- I'd love to watch it.

Comment

Re: Spielberg

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
              I just like the enthusiasm of Burnett and Spielberg of getting "talented" directors who'll write, shoot, edit, and present various genre films in a week's time, (working against that tight deadline), when they have themselves extended their deadline for submissions from September 1st (2006) to February 16th (2007).
              Well, yes, but ...

Sometimes maybe the battle is won by the fool(s) willing to throw themselves into the fray, despite the obstacles, when all the "sane" (or, y'know, even "talented") filmmakers say: hell no, that crayzay!

Now, if they choose their filmmakers like most "reality" shows ("we need a guy in a crappy band, we need two chicks who will fight, we need a gay guy who'll overcome society's prejudice, we need x-number minorities, we need an a**hole to stir s*** up and fight, we need a scene where the slut and the goodgirl fight, etc ...")

Then -- screw it. Call what, Central Casting? Call around and find all MTV's rejects. Find a dwarf to be a cop in Muncie Indiana (though, actually, people seem to like ARMED & FAMOUS)

But another perspective is: the insane idea of the contest and schedule will winnow out all those "talented, artistic, I-can't-be-a-creative-genius-this-week" types who are standing between ME (let's say) and the $1,000,000 deal. Being ON THE SHOW is a bigger tentacle in the door than many of US might get otherwise.

I was watching AMERICAN IDOL, and that fat guy and the guy that Simon said looked like a lemur was on, right? And I turn and I say "You think that monkey-boy's dreams were dashed; I say right now there are producers and directors and casting agents across Hollywood saying -- You get me that lemur-boy from American Idol! He's so weird he's perfect!"

The fat guy: nothing. The Lemur-Boy ... he's on his way to minor stardom!

Anyway ... I blew it this year, hopefully they will be future seasons to try. Some DD'ers already live in L.A. so that's no problem, right? But yes, Fortean, they aren't thinking of Canada or Indiana or much beyond their insular "world" ...
              sigpic
              "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
              -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                Now, if they choose their filmmakers like most "reality" shows ("we need a guy in a crappy band, we need two chicks who will fight, we need a gay guy who'll overcome society's prejudice, we need x-number minorities, we need an a**hole to stir s*** up and fight, we need a scene where the slut and the goodgirl fight, etc ...")
                Well, that IS what this is about. They're producing a reality television show, not your material, at least not yet. Anyway, if your looks/personality didn't matter they wouldn't ask you to do an intro video. It is marginally about talent.

Comment

I remember when this used to be called Project: Greenlight.
                  "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Definately gonna watch it.

Would never enter it b/c of the ol' reality show backlash (and in this case the intense temptation (on all filmmakers' parts) to make a documentary about another contestant taking a dump--"God, get out. Get out. It's a loser, close the door!!" There's your five minutes. Maybe ten. )

But--if anyone on the boards gets in, this or next year, I'll be on my feet rooting for you.
                    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

I certainly hope it's a ratings hit that lasts for us to get into the fray next year! It's got Spielberg cred and appeal (and yeah, even class) going for it, so I'm hopeful.

Project Greenlight ... well, it was a great idea, I enjoyed it too, but it lacked the mass audience that FOX might get (like I said, they're hyping it on AMERICAN IDOL, and that's a good role model to aspire to: crass in its own way, a charmer in its own way too)

And what whimpy projects they chose (except for FEAST) ...

I can't believe Spielberg will let his name be on a crap tv series ... but fingers crossed, we'll tune in!

And next year, DD will sweep the series! We're grooming our dysfunction and bickering until it glows like the sharp edge of a dagger, right? we must become FOX-reality ready !!!
                      sigpic
                      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

I need to buy a frickin' video camera. I can edit though! Dead on cuts, my NLE professor said. Maybe there will be a next year.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                        - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                          I remember when this used to be called Project: Greenlight.
                          Though, I think this has a lot more potential as a TV show if they keep to the proven format of making the entire thing a contest, not just the first episode... so having multiple contestants who get eliminated one-by-one. One of the problems with PGL, at least as far as mass appeal, was that once they made the selection in the beginning, viewers were stuck following one contestant working on a single project. Though it was definitely entertaining to all of us who follow the industry closely, I'm not sure the average person cared about the details all that much.

This idea on the other hand would give viewers bites that are much easier to digest... multiple personalities and different projects each week. Like Project Runway, there'll be the favorites, the dark horses, and the obnoxious ones, etc. I think that's got the better chance to click with the average TV viewer.

I, for one, hope it's a big success.

Comment

Possibly... actually probably...

Priya's little contest got the creative juices flowing... I've never written shorts but I have written one act and 10 minute plays...

I've just finished adapting something I directed on stage in college into a (roughly) 5 pg. short...

my dilemma is that I have access to the places I want to shoot here where I live... But to actually pull off the scenes dramatically I'm thinking of flying out to LA where I have a friend who just got into the actor's studio... He was part of the original college cast...

I don't have a camera yet either... Possible that he does out there... Or I could spring for one here, but I don't know which to buy... Also need an editor... Which I could probably find at a local tech college...

The deadline is the 16th... I'm thinking of posting pages...

Anyone from this board in LA feel like editing a project w/ me? If you think I suck you don't have to take credit... Or waste the time... But I don't suck...

I was thinking of the reality show element... I'm not willing to go gay for entertainment but I could probably play the part of the a**hole...

I don't know how pumped I'd be if I were selected for the show... But posting a short that demonstrates my talent to potentially millions of people might be a whole lot better shot than my last 5 years of trying to break into Hwood w/o being in Hwood writing stories that no one knows about... Yet...

anyway... should any of you go for it count me down as supportive all the way...

and if anyone has a recommendation for a DV cam I'd love to hear it... I'm thinking it's about the style of the shots/telling the story rather than shooting pretty scenes w/ a rented pro camera...

Keep writing everyone

Comment

I check the lot site fairly frequently, and the "most recent films" never change (i.e. Circus of Infinity and Quality of Life are always on the list) - surely there are films coming in, right?

Does anyone know how many entrants they've had?

Comment

Working...
                              X