Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
Write-Away
Regular

Default Re: Producer charging a writer fees for option

If it’s clear in writing that the option has expired (do you have a paper contract?) then he has no case. And any established lawyer will tell him as much and not want to waste their time. The onus was on the producer to re-new the option before it expired and since he obviously didn’t do that he’s just grasping at straws and trying to intimidate you. It wouldn’t hurt to call his bluff and provide him with the name and phone number of an attorney that he can contact if he wishes to pursue this. Do you have any lawyer friends or lawyers in the family? It doesn’t have to be specifically an entertainment lawyer when you’re dealing with straight-forward contracts like an option agreement. That might be the fastest way to get him out of your life. Bogus lawsuit or not, these things are stressful which can seriously impact your creativity. Sorry you’re having to go through this.

Write-Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurOak View Post
Is this, by any chance, Creative Entertainment & Media?
Oh lord, a friend of mine once dealt with those inept scam artists...I don't think they even have lawyers, let alone Beverly Hills lawyers.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #23
Mac H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumsandals View Post
After two years and not one red cent in option money, I chose not to renew. That's when he threatened to sic his lawyers Loeb and Rothschild on me.
I'm assuming that he is lying about his high priced lawyers.

Or - the better option is to take him at his word. Since he wishes to use lawyers than you should only work through his lawyer. In fact - the lawyers will insist on it. If the mention of 'BIG LAW FIRM' was in an email, just reply to the 'info@BIGLAWFIRM.COM' address and cc him. After all - he wants his lawyers involved. You should agree to that.

Request a phone meeting with 'BIGLAWFIRM' to discuss what the issue is with their client.

It will be interesting to see how the law firm responds. Whatever they do, they'll send a bill to him !

BTW - any contract requires 'due consideration' - which is why an option is often for a nominal $1 to permit it to be a legally binding contract. If they haven't provide a cent in option money then you have no contract with them.

Or just ignore him.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote