Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Highland Sans

I love it. Feels WAY more readable to me and I'd be inclined to send out completed pdfs in Highland Sans for that reason, and it aligns perfectly with Courier.

It just makes sense for scripts to be in sans-serif now, since we're all reading on computers and I'm not sure why the shift hasn't happened yet.

I mentioned it months ago and Craig Mazin said to email John August about it. I did but didn't hear back. I imagine he's a remarkably busy guy and this wouldn't rate too high on his list.

But I could see Highland Sans being the new norm if it were released. It would take one or two vets to ship their scripts this way and it would catch fire imo.

I'd pay for the font in a second. I buy fonts all the time for graphics stuff.

Would you all buy Highland Sans? Maybe if enough people would, it could become a reality.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Troy
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Highland Sans

What about this?

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/notcouriersans
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Yep, I've tried this one. Tried a whole bunch of other monotype fonts too, but all of them alter the page count of the script except for Highland Sans.

Highland Sans is a perfect metric match for any Courier/ is interchangeable - at least in Movie Magic.

I've scoured the net and have started a thread about it in the past but never came up with a solution outside of Highland Sans.

Thank you for the suggestion though, appreciate it.


ETA: I did find a font called "Courier Sans" but it isn't cheap. I would probably buy it if I knew it would line up perfectly but with no way of knowing, I'm hesitant. A lot of other fonts claim to be metric matches but don't work, at least in Movie Magic.

Last edited by madworld : 12-27-2014 at 01:04 PM.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Troy
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by madworld View Post
Yep, I've tried this one. Tried a whole bunch of other monotype fonts too, but all of them alter the page count of the script except for Highland Sans.

Highland Sans is a perfect metric match for any Courier/ is interchangeable - at least in Movie Magic.

I've scoured the net and have started a thread about it in the past but never came up with a solution outside of Highland Sans.

Thank you for the suggestion though, appreciate it.


ETA: I did find a font called "Courier Sans" but it isn't cheap. I would probably buy it if I knew it would line up perfectly but with no way of knowing, I'm hesitant. A lot of other fonts claim to be metric matches but don't work, at least in Movie Magic.
I should have researched it more before I posted the link. You're right. NotCourierSans is horrible on the page. Tweet John August and Craig Mazin. They might answer on Twitter.

EDIT: Or just buy Highland (if you have a Mac). It's $29 and even if you don't use it regularly, it can be your final exporting software.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I should have researched it more before I posted the link. You're right. NotCourierSans is horrible on the page. Tweet John August and Craig Mazin. They might answer on Twitter.

EDIT: Or just buy Highland (if you have a Mac). It's $29 and even if you don't use it regularly, it can be your final exporting software.
I actually have bought Highland but I've read where John August said the font was proprietary, so out of respect to his group I would want an okay before using to ship a pdf.

I would tweet about it but I have yet to sign up for Twitter. Guess I'm a little scared of it, in regards to using up time I need to write. My wife is on there, maybe I'll have her tweet and ask.

I have a program called TypeTool and I took a sans font called Cousine and matched it proportionally to my Mac system's Courier. It worked, but just doesn't look as good or readable as Highland Sans.

I could get caught up talking fonts all day. Fonts are my Twitter lol.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Troy
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Highland Sans

I primarily use Windows, but I do have a Mac. I recently looked at Cousine and tried to see the differences between Courier Screenplay and Courier Prime, the 2 fonts I jump back and forth between.

https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Cousine

I'm not a font geek at all, but just I do like the look of Cousine. I was comparing it using http://www.typetester.org/

From what I can tell, it's proportionately the same as either Courier Screenplay and Courier Prime. Am I missing anything? Is Cousine an acceptable alternative font for screenwriting? If it isn't, why not?
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Troy
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by madworld View Post
I love it. Feels WAY more readable to me and I'd be inclined to send out completed pdfs in Highland Sans for that reason, and it aligns perfectly with Courier.

It just makes sense for scripts to be in sans-serif now, since we're all reading on computers and I'm not sure why the shift hasn't happened yet.

I mentioned it months ago and Craig Mazin said to email John August about it. I did but didn't hear back. I imagine he's a remarkably busy guy and this wouldn't rate too high on his list.

But I could see Highland Sans being the new norm if it were released. It would take one or two vets to ship their scripts this way and it would catch fire imo.

I'd pay for the font in a second. I buy fonts all the time for graphics stuff.

Would you all buy Highland Sans? Maybe if enough people would, it could become a reality.
Problem solved for free.

John August just released Courier Prime Sans.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/#source-sans

Courier Prime Sans
The goodness of Courier Prime without the serifs.
A brand-new editing typeface thatís sharp on the screen and easy on the eyes.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Problem solved for free.

John August just released Courier Prime Sans.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/#source-sans

Courier Prime Sans
The goodness of Courier Prime without the serifs.
A brand-new editing typeface thatís sharp on the screen and easy on the eyes.
Thanks for letting me know! So happy he did this.
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Ronaldinho
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Highland Sans

Okay, silly question, but what's the deal with serif vs. sans-serif fonts?

What are each considered better for?
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
madworld
Member
 
madworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Otisburg
Posts: 642
Default Re: Highland Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
Okay, silly question, but what's the deal with serif vs. sans-serif fonts?

What are each considered better for?
They say Serif is better for print. Sans for reading on screen. Check this out:

http://http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/03/serif-vs-sans-the-final-battle/
madworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker