Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #51
StoryWriter

Default Re: BlacKKKlansman

Fvck White racists and fvck Black racists!

Put 'em on an island and let 'em beat the sh!t out of each other.

Just leave the normal Blacks and Whites alone to get along with each other.

Stop stirring the pot.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #52
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Fvck White racists and fvck Black racists!

Put 'em on an island and let 'em beat the sh!t out of each other.

Just leave the normal Blacks and Whites alone to get along with each other.

Stop stirring the pot.
Errrm, okay then - you go and get that island thing started, and we'll wait here.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #53
Darthclaw13
Regular

So who here has ACTUALLY seen the film?

I haven't, but plan to. That is why I will not give an opinion of the film, because I HAVEN"T SEEN IT.

If someone is trying to give a review/opinion on a film, suffice it to say, they should have seen it first. Otherwise, it is just an opinion of something other than the film itself.

I haven't read the posted link to the review, but from what I can glean from the commenters here is that the reviewer is only stating his personal opinion of Spike Lee (a person, not a film), which I feel should have no place in a film review.

Jeepies, watch a film before you give an "honest" review.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #54
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
Errrm, okay then - you go and get that island thing started, and we'll wait here.
Maybe the US government can donate one of their nuclear test site islands?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #55
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
Maybe the US government can donate one of their nuclear test site islands?
Those islands are probably not large enough. Maybe try good old Great Britain, which will need a reason to exist after Brexit. Also, its electorate is at least 52% racist and looking for a fight.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #56
LateNightWriter

Um, last time I was on DDP the only post in this thread was the first one from JoeBanks. The only review of the film I had read was Mick LaSalle’s in the San Francisco Chronicle. (He raved).

I saw the film last week. Yes, I have actually SEEN the film! What a shock, eh?

And I agree with Joe Banks. It’s an outstanding film, one of Lee’s best. Spike Lee tends to get a little preachy-speechy at times, but the subject matter here warrants it and the power of the story prevails.

If you want to express an opinion about a film you haven’t seen but have only read about, then you might want to examine the basis for those opinions.

As for me, I’m only interested in hearing the responses of people who’ve actually seen the film.

Cheers,
Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #57
TheConnorNoden

I saw it last week and it is well worth watching, especially for those who enjoyed Sidney Lumet's output in the 70s. The ending caught me off guard and really brought it all home.

There was a satellite Q&A with Spike Lee afterwards and while the questions were lacking he had some interesting things to say. When asked how he feels when other filmmakers ignore politics in their own work he said that in itself is a political statement. True enough as lately when writing my own work I've gone off ideas when I realised they were popcorn fodder and not really helping any one.

One final thought for those that have seen it. To me, BlacKKKlansman felt like it was still catering to a white audience. Did anybody else get that? Not a criticism in any way but I thought it was interesting.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
LateNightWriter

Quote:
One final thought for those that have seen it. To me, BlacKKKlansman felt like it was still catering to a white audience. Did anybody else get that? Not a criticism in any way but I thought it was interesting.
Connor, I didn't feel that the film was trying to cater to a white audience. However, I did feel the film was trying to "teach" an audience which might be lacking in their knowledge of history, and that would include a younger generation who might never have heard of Stokely Carmichael/Kwame Ture or who had only a limited knowledge of the Civil Rights movement. For me, the film was strongest when Spike Lee allowed the story to breathe, when he let the actions of the characters convey the world and let the issues come through the dialogue between Patrice and Ron as they were pursuing their relationship.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #59
Ire

Saw the film last night and enjoyed it. I thought John David Washington was solid as Ron.

Topher Grace as David Duke felt odd to me. It took me until the induction ceremony to no longer grin when he was onscreen.

Spike's auteur touches were there. The faces during the Ture speech, Ron and Angela posing like black exploitation movie heroes.

The message was definitely received with the ending footage. Forty plus years and what has changed..?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #60
docgonzo

I saw it a couple weeks ago. I loved it. It was a little slow to get to the meat of the film, but once it did I was hooked in for the whole ride. The scene where he makes that first phone call to the Klan was one of the funniest things I've seen in a Spike Lee movie.

The acting was great. I didn't even know that was Topher Grace as David Duke until after. He was pretty incredible and (frighteningly) looked exactly like DD.

I know the writers embellished the facts to make it more of a movie, but who cares. They made the right choices.

Like people have been saying, it's the best Spike Lee joint in years. That's not hyperbole.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote