Merrick
User

Default When you query ...

What do you send?

Title
Logline
Like xx meets yy
Writer background information

Please let me know if interested to read the full script, etc.

In the body of the e-mail?
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
figment

Default Re: When you query ...

Here's a good thread on it, Merrick.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=80548

Just keep it short and simple.

--Put the script title and genre in the subject line.

-- Greet a person, not "to whom it may concern."

-- Include your logline.

-- You don't have to say "let me know if you're interested" because they already know that's why you're querying.

-- yes, it all goes in the body of an email. You never send the actual script unless/until they tell you to.

Good luck.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Merrick
User

Ah perfect, thank you!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Bono

Subject Line: BALL SACK -- DRAMA

Sara,

Please consider reading my script, BALL SACK.

LOGLINE GOES HER IN BOLD AND BLACK LIKE TITLE. JUST KEEP ON GOING AND GOING AND GOING AND GOING.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
Merrick Garland
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Bono

You can try different things like this, but I would stick with what I wrote above at first. See how people like your logline. A logline is tough to do. Don't make your logline too longer either.

JOHN WICK meets THE GOONIES, but you don't have to

Or I sometimes do IN THE VEIN OF "JOHN WICK"

If your script Won Austin, yeah I throw that in..
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Merrick
User

How did you know my film was called Ball Sack? And how did you know it was a drama?

This is all perfect. Thanks a lot, folks.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
Merrick
User

Another two questions about querying:

1) If someone is going to reply, what is the average response time you've experienced? 2 days? 2 weeks? I figure once it gets past a certain point, you're out of their eyeline.

2) When it comes to "blanketing" the industry, say writing to many producers, managers, etc. what is the traditional protocol? Is it okay to write to all or many of the managers at a single agency? Or will you be seen as a pest if you hit too many up? So you should do 1-2 per agency, wait a while, if nothing then move down the list at each agency?

Thanks for thoughts about these.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
GucciGhostXXX

1) Expect to wait a looooooong time for reads in the current climate.

Just understand that some of us are already repped and they aren't getting back to our reps in a timely manner right now. The exact people (reps) you're trying to get with, producers are taking their sweet ass time getting back to THEM! Understand that reps are struggling as much as we are. They aren't buyers. Everyone has different levels of relationships. I said in another thread that a HUGE (FUKKING HUGE!) producer I was working with said to me "I sent ____ a project 3 months ago. Nothing. Never responded."

Stop and let that sink in. This is an absolute A-LIST producer who's getting ghosted. He's made the industry billions. GHOSTED! No one is immune.

This is a "hurry up and wait" business. How long did it take PRISONERS to catch traction, 2 years? MAD MEN? 10 years to get made?

2 day turn around is if you're Sorkin or Chris Nolan. Let's assume your script is "FUKKIN BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!" So fukkin what! Here's why: You haven't made anyone any money yet, so the truth is, no one cares... yet.

Don't fall into the noob delusion of "but... this would be a hit if they'd just read it QUICKLY, WTF!?" It's NOT a hit until it is.

Again, we had a book on NYTimes best seller list in the NUMBER ONE spot for 26 weeks. It was NOT an easy sale.

POINT: Check your expectations or you'll start to bug people.

2) Blanketing the industry? Don't do it. Be strategic and personal. These people can see right through blanketing and they WILL NOT bite if you do that. There's a million other writers who do their homework. Be THAT guy.

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 09-19-2019 at 02:35 AM.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:50 AM   #9
Merrick
User

Thanks very much for the reply.

1) To be more clear, I meant to a query, not an actual script read request.

I figure (working in another side of the media industry) that queries that don't get replied to within a week or two get buried under other mountains of mail and never emerge. But am I wrong? You can cold query, wait 3 months and still get a read request after all that time without a followup?

2) On the producer end, research is easy but how does one do heavy research on reps? My impression is that most of them fly way under the radar. They have very few IMDb credits often and you have to jump around to random blogs with any possible hope of figuring out who they have repped or are currently repping. It seems that doing that kind of homework is far beyond simple ...

But okay, so no blanketing. I just figure if you hit 2 people per agency at a time, wait some weeks, hear nothing, you could move down the list til you get ultimately some reads and if you're lucky then a "yes."

In my other work, I'm able to break down doors and negotiate things lightning fast with even the largest companies in the world. Then here I am in film, and they want me grabbing coffee.

Last edited by Merrick : 09-19-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 AM   #10
Merrick
User

Wait a sec, does IMDb Pro list who agents/managers are currently repping. Are you all signed up to that?

Light bulb just went off in my head.