Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
finalact4

Default Re: Do I need an agent?

Managers get 10% of what your work sells for. Unless they attach themselves as producers.

How much did the draft change from your draft to your co-writer's draft?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

You don't want to do the work yourself? You want to "POINT & PAY"?

Fine... but... Think outside the box. Don't pay criminals to do NOTHING for you.

Here's what I would do: Find an assistant who knows his/her sh!t. Offer to pay them to do this work for me anonymously. DONE!

Also ..... STOP WRITING THIS! ..... no more scripts in this anthology unless someone pays you to write it. Unless you just don't care about wasting your time.

The 2 script thing is: 2 ***DIFFERENT*** IPs. Meaning, not the same story part 2.

Did you bother to click on the link I provided for you? You were about to send your check payable to a PO BOX _____.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #13
JS90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
You don't want to do the work yourself? You want to "POINT & PAY"?

Fine... but... Think outside the box. Don't pay criminals to do NOTHING for you.

Here's what I would do: Find an assistant who knows his/her sh!t. Offer to pay them to do this work for me anonymously. DONE!

Also ..... STOP WRITING THIS! ..... no more scripts in this anthology unless someone pays you to write it. Unless you just don't care about wasting your time.

The 2 script thing is: 2 ***DIFFERENT*** IPs. Meaning, not the same story part 2.

Did you bother to click on the link I provided for you? You were about to send your check payable to a PO BOX _____.
I agree with Gucci and Finalact. But also, itís not THAT much work Cynthia. Spending 20 bucks on a month of IMBD Pro and a single Saturday afternoon compiling a list of managers or prod-cos yourself is better than washing a ton of money on services which offer limited results.

Also, Iíve gone back and read some of your old posts. I think itís great youíre so passionate about this one property of yours. Passion is what keeps every single one of us going, especially when things look discouraging. But I worry you might be putting all your eggs in one basket. If you really want to make a go of it as a screenwriter itís important (and healthy) to have different scripts about different things under your belt. And hell, if you ever got traction on another project it might help you sell this current one youíre working on!
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Cynthia Hanson
New User

I talked to my co-writer about getting a manager and he said he could help point in proper directions at least. And I can't pinpoint the exact percentage he rewrote of my draft but it was a lot and enough to have his name on the script regardless which of us registers it.

And I actually had written a different fantasy script many years ago called The Wizard's Destiny and made a movie out of it with the animation program Moviestorm. The movie is available on Amazon still, but I lost the script during the years.

And I can't help it if this Wogglebug series is the only passion I really have and want to do.
Cynthia Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Hanson View Post
And I can't help it if this Wogglebug series is the only passion I really have and want to do.
Wait... this is a series, as in TV show or Feature? [rhetorical question... you'll see why below]

Regardless, you already have 2 scripts of the SAME sh!t. YOU may be super excited about this project, but that doesn't mean anyone REAL will be. Every last one of us BELIEVES, in our soul, that what we're writing could be successful, or we wouldn't have written it.

Point: You're already WAAAAAAAAY ahead of yourself by actually writing script 2 in the "series." This is a writer 101 rookie mistake, if there ever was one. Because writing anything GREAT takes a fukk ton of TIME. You said you have 12 total. DO NOT WRITE THE REMAINING 10 scripts and assume ANYONE will read them all and say "YOU ARE BRILLIANT!" The fact that you have 2 completed already SCREAMS "I have no idea, NONE, about how the industry actually works and haven't bothered to research it... they should BEND THE RULES for me!" You know who they bend the rules for? An author who's sold 10 million copies. Have you done that?

I have a show going out now... I *could* write all 8 episodes of season 1, I'm capable of it. But it ain't smart to do so. IF someone pays me to do it, I will. You write just enough for them to decide if they want you to and nothing more (unless, again, you enjoy wasting your time and annoying people). Annoying people? YES! You ask someone to read 12 scripts and they're gonna instantly BLOCK your email addy as someone who is delusional. Your own rep wouldn't read 12 fukkin scripts of the SAME story. And if this is a feature... dude... you're WAY WAY WAY ahead of yourself, 11 sequels? Seriously??? You honestly think THAT'S the smart way to attack this?

Here's my thing. People here have been giving you EXCELENT advice and you don't seem to give a sh!t. I'm not sure I've seen you thank anyone.

You seem SUPER GREEN (Asking questions about agents, like they'd be tripping over themselves to read 12 scripts... I promise you [don't believe me] they WILL NOT). It is INCREDIBLY hard to land a ***LEGIT*** agent. You come across, to me, like you think you could just walk your 12 script into CAA, they read all 12, then you just waltz into Pixar and they're like "Yup... here's a billion dollars, we're making all 12."

I'm pulling out of giving you anymore advice unless you begin to thank people for their time and effort in trying to HELP YOU not make stupid rookie mistakes. Again, you were considering sending your sh!t to a fukkin PO BOX. You did ZERO research about that person. And it doesn't seem to phase you how completely OFF THE MARK you are.

Once your 12 movies come out you can throw it back in my face. But, If I were a rep (and I was one, kinda) I'd instantly pass on you.

Good luck!

ps... the reason I bothered to write this at all is for brand new writers lurking. DON'T DO what this person is doing. PROMISE YOU!

--GUCCI OUT--

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 09-27-2019 at 03:25 PM.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #16
docgonzo

Quote:
Wait... this is a series, as in TV show or Feature? [rhetorical question... you'll see why below]

Regardless, you already have 2 scripts of the SAME sh!t. YOU may be super excited about this project, but that doesn't mean anyone REAL will be. Every last one of us BELIEVES, in our soul, that what we're writing could be successful, or we wouldn't have written it.

Point: You're already WAAAAAAAAY ahead of yourself by actually writing script 2 in the "series." This is a writer 101 rookie mistake, if there ever was one. Because writing anything GREAT takes a fukk ton of TIME. You said you have 12 total. DO NOT WRITE THE REMAINING 10 scripts and assume ANYONE will read them all and say "YOU ARE BRILLIANT!" The fact that you have 2 completed already SCREAMS "I have no idea, NONE, about how the industry actually works and haven't bothered to research it... they should BEND THE RULES for me!" You know who they bend the rules for? An author who's sold 10 million copies. Have you done that?

I have a show going out now... I *could* write all 8 episodes of season 1, I'm capable of it. But it ain't smart to do so. IF someone pays me to do it, I will. You write just enough for them to decide if they want you to and nothing more (unless, again, you enjoy wasting your time and annoying people). Annoying people? YES! You ask someone to read 12 scripts and they're gonna instantly BLOCK your email addy as someone who is delusional. Your own rep wouldn't read 12 fukkin scripts of the SAME story. And if this is a feature... dude... you're WAY WAY WAY ahead of yourself, 11 sequels? Seriously??? You honestly think THAT'S the smart way to attack this?

Here's my thing. People here have been giving you EXCELENT advice and you don't seem to give a sh!t. I'm not sure I've seen you thank anyone.

You seem SUPER GREEN (Asking questions about agents, like they'd be tripping over themselves to read 12 scripts... I promise you [don't believe me] they WILL NOT). It is INCREDIBLY hard to land a ***LEGIT*** agent. You come across, to me, like you think you could just walk your 12 script into CAA, they read all 12, then you just waltz into Pixar and they're like "Yup... here's a billion dollars, we're making all 12."

I'm pulling out of giving you anymore advice unless you begin to thank people for their time and effort in trying to HELP YOU not make stupid rookie mistakes. Again, you were considering sending your sh!t to a fukkin PO BOX. You did ZERO research about that person. And it doesn't seem to phase you how completely OFF THE MARK you are.

Once your 12 movies come out you can throw it back in my face. But, If I were a rep (and I was one, kinda) I'd instantly pass on you.

Good luck!

ps... the reason I bothered to write this at all is for brand new writers lurking. DON'T DO what this person is doing. PROMISE YOU!

--GUCCI OUT--
All you can say to this is, Yup!

And before anyone jumps down his throat for being harsh, it's definitely not. This is the kind of tough love people need to hear to shock them out of their stupors. Hopefully the OP reads this and really thinks on it, because there's nothing but truth here.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #17
EdFury

Quote:

Good luck!

--GUCCI OUT--
Holy crap is this 100% right on the money. Bravo.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #18
Bono

I think from googling, I found your amazon page, so it appears you wrote books already. Maybe go the other way and try to get the book world more interested in your stories and maybe express your interest in getting these stories adapted into movies.

I think what you're trying to do now won't work well.

Even if someone wrote Harry Potter today in script form -- it would be hard for Hollywood to fall in love with it and buy it. They want to adapt the books and then make the movie themselves with pro writers.

So I'd go that way if this is your obsession.

If you want to be a screenwriter, I'd encourage you to write your own original story by yourself. Not based on anything else. Just your imagination.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #19
finalact4

Quote:

Good luck!

--GUCCI OUT--
Legitimately solid advice.

The reason I asked about how much of the script you want to send out was written by your co-writer is, because a manager wants to SEE YOUR WRITING, not someone who rewrote your original. It doesn't sound like your co-writer is looking to get a manager WITH you, so I'm curious...

Does you co-writer have a manager?
Old 09-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #20
Cynthia Hanson
New User

I realize a manager would want to see my own writing, but it's just the draft I had before was never nearly as good as the latest one that was rewritten and I want the best chance as possible to get it made.

And I don't think my co-writer has a manager but that is likely because he doesn't need one. He is already an established writer.
Cynthia Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote