The use of "DIARIES" as a device in films?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of "DIARIES" as a device in films?

Hi everyone!

Here's a challenging question for all the forum goers! Or...maybe not.

How many different films can you think of where a "diary" is used as a major story device? (i.e. - Match Point, Last Crusade, Bridget Jones, etc.)
    I'm trying to build a case NOT to use it in a script. HELP!!

Any help or thoughts you guys?

-indigoman

Re: The use of "DIARIES" as a device in films?

If you're presenting a case to a person, I'd just say, 'Well you're not allowed to read someone else's diary," and keep repeating that over and over again.

If that doesn't work, try, "It's not visual enough."

If that doesn't work, try, "Yeah, but your idea to ...(make something up)...won't work as well with the diary, and I really liked that idea."

(I can't give you a list of films though, cause I suck. )

Good luck!
    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

I can't think of many - probably because it's a bad idea to use diaries as story device. Not only because so few films use it comparisions will easily be drawn, but because if done weakly it will just seem like some trite way of spilling out exposition or a characters feeling w/o action.

Are you thinking of using a diary as a plot twist device? If so, because other films have done this, have a really good twist - and set it up.
      Smile Is Best Makeup!

-A Grammatically Incorrect Japanese Proverb

Comment

The idea is to use the diary as a means of closure. A character suffers from a burning question the whole film - and then at the end - unsuspectingly receives a diary - which contains her answers. The character has closure - and we see that she does because of her relief - but we are never told exactly what it is INSIDE of the diary that provides her this closure/the answer/her relief.

Does this work?

Thoughts?

Comment

At first it sounded like an internal conflict's deus ex to kind of wrap up all this stuff a character would never find out with oh! out of nowhere is this diary with all my answers. But I'm not sure if that's it or not. I think it would be OK to use this diary like this if you set it up definitely in BG of the story and then have it show up at the end. I don't think that ending is unreasonable, though others on DD will probably disagree (as usual).
          Smile Is Best Makeup!

Comment

For me, it would probably not. In 'The Sixth Sense', at the end, the boy's mom asked him to ask her dead mother a question.

The boy answered "every day," then asked his mom what she asked. She answered, teary-eyed, "Are you proud of me?"

(or something like that. In any case it was sad as Sh**.)

The diary basically takes away the sweet interaction between characters, which is utterly potent.

This is just me, so do what works for your story. There may be a much better way. You're also gonna have to reconcile whatever it is that the audience doesn't know when your character reads the pages--and allow their lack of knowledge to not only be satisfying, but heart-stopping. Otherwise they'll be pissed.

Good luck!!
            https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Originally posted by amandag
              You're also gonna have to reconcile whatever it is that the audience doesn't know when your character reads the pages--and allow their lack of knowledge to not only be satisfying, but heart-stopping. Otherwise they'll be pissed.
              Good note. There should be some sort of effect taken to what is read in the diary even if we dont see what's written.
              Smile Is Best Makeup!

Comment

Thanks guys. These are really good thoughts.

I tried to put myself in the audience's shoes regarding this moment (cause as writers we can justify just about anything in our own minds, by ourselves, at our desk, by ourselves, etc, etc.) but yeah, I think the audience will be pissed. That was one of the things that I really didn't want to do.

I mean, as screenwriters, we don't have to answer EVERY question of course. But there are indeed consequences to being coy about giving information - or just simply deny the audience of an answer.

"Writing is easy. You just sit in front of a blank piece of paper until blood comes out of your forehead."

Comment

If the story calls for it and you can justify it, use it.

You can use any device in films. Heck you can even have aliens beaming down to Earth to expose the mystery... just as long as it doesn't seem tacked on or an obvious contrivance. If there is motivation for such events to happen, then it's okay to have it. Even it is a surprise, it has to appear inevitable. So obviously, this diary cannot haphazardly find its way to your protag's lap. If you're planning to use it as your main cookie cruncher, then have it as an underlying theme throughout the story.

But that's just my opinion.

My $0.02

Comment

Your two cents have been heard! Thanks so much for your thoughts. Good stuff.

Comment

The End of the Affair is another example of a good use of a diary, both in the violation of stealing and reading it and the revelations that it allows for. It's also one of the few ways that the information could have been delivered, given the lack of communication between the characters.

I think you just have to be careful not to use a diary as an easy excuse to get the character to verbalize what he or she is thinking. Furthermore, therapy scenes are too easy and obvious a way to do this.

Comment

The only way I would ever use a diary in a story is to have another character read it, but it comes back to bite them in the ass because the writer of said diary is a pathological liar.

Comment

I think using diarrhea as a device is a great idea - look at how popular DUMB & DUMBER was!
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by indigoman
                            The idea is to use the diary as a means of closure. A character suffers from a burning question the whole film - and then at the end - unsuspectingly receives a diary - which contains her answers. The character has closure - and we see that she does because of her relief - but we are never told exactly what it is INSIDE of the diary that provides her this closure/the answer/her relief.

Does this work?

Thoughts?
                            Hi, indie

To answer your original question, The Bridges of Madison County. Sadly, I can barely think of a film where a diary was a successful dramatic device.

But your scene sounds kind of interesting.

Girl stares out window, twisting tear-soaked hankie. Package arrives. She opens it, mystified. A diary . . . with facts relevant to her immediate woes! She reads . . . gasps . . . the tears of sorrow are now tears of relief, shed through a trembling smile.

GIRL
                            (choked whisper)
                            Thank you!

FINAL FADE

Comment

Working...
                            X