• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 55 Highest-Paid Spec Scripts

Comment

i dont get it though.

other than basic instinct, his other movies either bombed or were never made. what's w/ that?

Comment

maybe he has a buy one script get another script free type of thing going on...other than that i cant imagine why.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I saw Eszterhas at the grocery store and he dropped his shopping list so I picked it up.

My manager is going wide with it Monday morning. I expect at least seven figures.

(Okay, so I stole that from the Joss Whedon spoof from last year. Sue me.)

Comment

Originally posted by zz9
            I saw Eszterhas at the grocery store and he dropped his shopping list so I picked it up.

My manager is going wide with it Monday morning. I expect at least seven figures.
            http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mis...rhas%40aol.com
            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld
              anyone else depressed by this?

or was this supposed to be inspiring.....
              Inspiring if you got more imagination and execution to your writing.
              Depressing if you have procrastination and laziness as muse.
              A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
              Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Thanks for that Broughcut. I knew I'd stolen it from somewhere.
                >If you make out a grocery
                >list, you legally have copyright on the grocery list. It's absolute
                >and instantaneous.

Yeah, but just try to get it set up. Fox, Warners,
                Paramount, they already have similar projects
                in development. And Leonardo is interested in
                Paramount's.
                But Brett Ratner has agreed to direct mine!

Comment

Did you notice who that post was from? - Joe Eszterhas! Thought it was funny.
                  The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

I haven't quite recovered from reading EUROTRIP's script sold for $3 million dollars....
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Qazworld
                      anyone else depressed by this?

or was this supposed to be inspiring.....
                      Exactly. The only time I've been inspired and envious in the same breath is when I see what scribes get for the scripts they write.
                      "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                      -Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm inspired, envious, and after reading the list -- a little puzzled.
                        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I'd be happy just to be in the $1.8 million group. I'm not greedy.

Comment

When you figure in the adage that it takes ten years to become an "overnight success," and the reality that most of these figures are in actuality "x percentage against y rewrite fees and z production bonuses in the unlikely event the film ever gets greenlit" plus the fact that your agent takes 10 percent, your manager (if you have one) takes another 10 - 15 percent, your attorney takes another 5 percent, and the IRS takes 50 percent.... and factor in that most of these scribes live in Los Angeles, one of the most expensive housing markets in the world....

It's still barely a living wage.

So I'm happy for them that they're surviving, doing what they love. But envious? No. Especially considering that many of these writers' friends, relatives, and acquaintances probably act like they've suddenly won the lottery. I've seen this happen firsthand. When a doctor or lawyer or MBA finally makes decent money after all their time and effort, people are proud of them for finally reaping the fruits of their efforts. But when it happens to a writer, people are jealous, critical, and incredulous. Why? Because writing is perceived as something anyone could do, if they just had a bit of free time.

Obviously, we know better, but 99 percent of the world does not.

I say, congrats to these writers... their victories are progress, but it also shows how far we still have to go.

Comment

Cyberian, thank you for putting things in perspective. But, just so we can see what we are all not making, allow me to show you the numbers.
                              Let's say you wrote Eurotrip. A 3mill deal...
                              On a 3 million deal, you pay a total of 35% (total of agents, lawyer and manager fees). that takes your commission down to a little below 2million.
                              Now, since you have made so much, the taxes will come knocking on your door like Tony from around the block trying to collect their cut. IRS states that you must pay 94,000 and 35% of anything above 327,000. Minus the 94k, get the 35% of the remainder of the 2mil, which is around 57k, minus that to the 2mil. And you get around 1,200,000 dollars.
                              Now, to play devils advocate, lets spread it over 10 years because we all know this doesn't come overnight. that comes out to 10,000 a month.

They're still barely living. Those Bastards!

Should we care of what people think, family, friends and your everyday aquintances, well, it a million bucks people, they can suck it!
                              I'm glad not everyone knows how hard it is. It keeps dreamers alive. The ones who's lucky enough to make a living out of it should share how much they make to show off in front of those lawyers and doctors that they are not the only one who can make that money and make those around them more jealous of you. If you still are not satisfied and find that people don't respect you. Slap them with 100k stack and challenge them to a duel.

Comment

I'm certainly not saying it sucks to be a produced, working screenwriter.

But note that in my example, I alluded to the fact that most of those numbers are skewed, because the bulk of the money was never paid. If it isn't greenlit, you'll never see a big chunk of the payday.

Using the produced "Eurotrip" as a more happy example, though (applying your math)....

Keep in mind that your estimated "10k a month" is split three ways, among three writers.

Then the questions becomes: how long will this have to last? Will I work again soon? Ever?

Again, not saying it's a bad life, but when that big payday comes for you, don't spend it all on coke and whores.

Comment

Working...
                                X