Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPhone in the Mideast

question: can you recognize taliban people? do they mingle with everyone else in public?

Kabul is a little different than the rest of AF. A little more on the liberal side as far as stuff like womens rights etc. The further you go out the more it becomes like Talibanstan.
    i get that, but you two were talking like you can just go to the store and buy a phone and get on the internet. if Kabul is more liberal than some places then your earlier advice didn't really help... and why i made that assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
      question: can you recognize taliban people? do they mingle with everyone else in public?

i get that, but you two were talking like you can just go to the store and buy a phone and get on the internet. if Kabul is more liberal than some places then your earlier advice didn't really help... and why i made that assumption.

They look like everyone else - that's the problem.
      "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

i get that, but you two were talking like you can just go to the store and buy a phone and get on the internet.
        You can. Cell phone use is fairly common.

The majority of the population is very poor but Chinese knock-offs of just about everything are available from designer clothes to video games.

Some questions are hard to answer because the country is so diverse. What goes for Kabul or Kandahar doesn't fly in many small and remote villages that haven't evolved past the middle ages.

Some stuff like the status and treatment of women is a mystery since most of us never deal with them. It's a male dominated society. Many of our interpreters were dating or had girlfriends so it wasn't all tribal living and forced marriages.
        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

The other day there was a guy riding a donkey and talking on a cell phone - like a BOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jeep View Post
            The other day there was a guy riding a donkey and talking on a cell phone - like a BOSS.
            sweet! and freakishly so timely b/c i was just considering putting a drug handler on a bicycle, but this is so much better.

this is all good stuff guys.

and this just in -- some dood from washington state (what is it with that state?!) went on a shooting rampage over there killing a bunch of civilians.

Comment

sweet! and freakishly so timely b/c i was just considering putting a drug handler on a bicycle, but this is so much better.

this is all good stuff guys.

and this just in -- some dood from washington state (what is it with that state?!) went on a shooting rampage over there killing a bunch of civilians.

One bad apple...

Yeah, thanks to that guy we will have an uptick in US-KIA in the following weeks, 2-3 weeks of protests and I anticipate no less than 2 IDF (indirect fire) attacks tonight. Also, we are going to have to rebuild trust in that area that has probably taken years to cultivate. Afghans aren't very tolerant of the killing of children (neither or we) and this will be spun into propaganda used by Karzai and the Taliban resulting in a pretty violent next few weeks.
              Last edited by GI_Jeep; 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

One bad apple...

Yeah, thanks to that guy we will have an uptick in US-KIA in the following weeks, 2-3 weeks of protests and I anticipate no less than 2 IDF (indirect fire) attacks tonight. Also, we are going to have to rebuild trust in that area that has probably taken years to cultivate. Afghans aren't very tolerant of the killing of children (neither or we) and this will be spun into propaganda used by Karzai and the Taliban resulting in a pretty violent next few weeks.
                seriously, i hate to say it, but i was thinking you just need to throw them the body of that guy. string him up in a public forum so they can throw rocks and spit on him or whatever. let them get it out of their system and know that we don't tolerate that kind of individual either.

Comment

seriously, i hate to say it, but i was thinking you just need to throw them the body of that guy. string him up in a public forum so they can throw rocks and spit on him or whatever. let them get it out of their system and know that we don't tolerate that kind of individual either.
                  You're saying what everyone is thinking.

Comment

One bad apple...

Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                      Stay safe.
                      Will do - appreciate it.

Comment

there's a US raid on a terrorists' hideout and some get killed.

new questions:
                        what happens to the bodies?
                        if and how are their families informed?

reason:
                        i want to put two widows together (who normally would have no contact with each other) whose husbands were both killed in the raid.

Comment

there's a US raid on a terrorists' hideout and some get killed.

new questions:
                          what happens to the bodies?
                          if and how are their families informed?

reason:
                          i want to put two widows together (who normally would have no contact with each other) whose husbands were both killed in the raid.
                          Generally, the bodies are taken to a US facility and processed over to the Red Cross. They acts as liaison to get the bodies back to the families. I don't know how long that takes but Muslim law has pretty strict burial requirements. We try to treat their war dead as respectfully as we do our own.

Comment

Here ya go:

This is excellent

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...1PR_story.html

Also, the islamic version of the Red Cross is called the Red Crescent.

Comment

sweet!

you too, GI

Comment

Working...
                              X