Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help remembering a movie

Okay, this will likely sound weird...mostly because my childhood memory of this is probably very incorrect and jumbled, but here goes...

I remember once when I was a kid walking into the den watching a few minutes of some movie my dad was watching on TV. It looked to be a movie from maybe the 70s or early 80s?

I really have no recollection of what the movie was about. Sorry, I know that's not helpful. But I think maybe it was some type of disaster movie or "escape from something" type of movie.

I just remember at some point toward the end, this guy (on some construction equipment?) turns around and sees some large smoke or fire cloud in the distance that kind of takes the form of a face with horns (the devil, perhaps?). Kind of freaked me out, since I was a little kid, but as an adult I'm intrigued to find this movie.

Anyway, for the life of me I can't figure out what this movie was and it's always bugged me because I want to watch it just for the hell of it.

So...as odd as this is...does anyone know the movie I'm talking about? I'm sorry this is so vague but I figured this would be the best place to ask considering the sheer number of film fans there are here.
    Last edited by Optimus; 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM.
    "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Re: I need help remembering a movie

I wonder if it's The Car? A James Brolin tv flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4qTXo2KCn0

HH

Comment

That what I was thinking. Fun movie. Jaws on wheels.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

That's the end of THE CAR...

I don't remember how KILLDOZER ended.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

They took a cue from Hawks' The Thing and electrocuted it.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

ask you dad?

Comment

The movie is called "Five Million Years to Earth," aka "Quatermass and the Pit."

Imagine an entire season of "X files" distilled into one movie.

Comment

The trailer to FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH -- if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloWTPAjk-Q

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                  The trailer to FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH -- if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloWTPAjk-Q
                  Yes! That's it!

It's the scene when he's on the crane swinging toward the whatever-it-is that I was remembering. I guess I was remembering it as smoke.

Doesn't look like anything I'd actually want to watch, haha.

The Car doesn't look like anything I'd want to watch, either, though I'm sure it was good in a cheesy kind of way.

Thanks, Why One and Architeuthis Dux! (and thanks to everyone else who helped, too).
                  "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                    Doesn't look like anything I'd actually want to watch, haha.
                    It's actually pretty good. As in good good, rather than so-bad-it's-good. It's influenced a lot of stuff, from John Carpenter to Doom. The mythology that is, not the action-y aspects...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      It's actually pretty good. As in good good, rather than so-bad-it's-good. It's influenced a lot of stuff, from John Carpenter to Doom. The mythology that is, not the action-y aspects...

It's a pretty good movie...and one that I loved as a kid. For a late 60's cheap sci-fi, that is. I heard many years ago that Bryan Singer had the remake rights for it...or was attached to it. This movie is ripe for a update. Not sure where that stands. It's definitely worth a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        I don't remember how KILLDOZER ended.
                        Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                        They took a cue from Hawks' The Thing and electrocuted it.
                        I'm fairly sure a 1944 Sturgeon story didn't take a cue from a 1951 film.

Mac
                        New blogposts:
                        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus
                          I just remember at some point toward the end, this guy (on some construction equipment?) turns around and sees some large smoke or fire cloud in the distance that kind of takes the form of a face with horns (the devil, perhaps?)
                          Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          That's the end of THE CAR...
                          Ha - when I was at school and The Car had aired the previous night, my friends were telling me about the awesome ending where the car blows up and the smoke turns into the face of the devil.

Around two decades later I finally saw it. And there was no devil... just an ordinary, albeit large, explosion... so I put it down to young over-excited minds...

But now you are saying they were RIGHT?

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                            I wonder if it's The Car? A James Brolin tv flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4qTXo2KCn0

HH

It was actually in theaters. Bombed, but it came a cult classic. "Jaws" on wheels is right-on.
                            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Nigel Kneale (creator of Quatermass) was a terrific writer. He wrote many stories which involved science and the supernatural. Hammer's Quatermass and the Pit was a remake of the BBCTV serial and the third time the company adapted a BBC Quatermass serial for the big screen. Brian Donleavy played a very American Quatermass in Hammer's first two films. Kneale wrote a fourth Quatermass serial which went unmade until the late 70's, when Sir John Mills played the part in the Euston Films/ITV Quatermass (sometimes called the Quatermass Conclusion in the edited down film version for overseas sales).

Kneale's The Stone Tape is superbly scary as was his original TV adaptation of The Woman in Black in 1989. Kneale also wrote the first draft of Halloween III: Season of the Witch, but the script was re-written, yet some Kneale elements remain.

Quatermass and the Pit could easily be remade today.
                              @MacBullitt

Comment

Working...
                              X