Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help choosing new series to watch

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I decided on Mad Men because it got so many recommendations. Plus I know when it was on it got "all" the awards and such.
    I have gotten into it a little and I like it so far. It does have an odd air about it though.
    The men are so mean and the women are so air-headed, but I guess that is what is was like back then. Or maybe they are just playing it up and going overboard with the stereotypes of the day? But I am enjoying it more with each episode.

Comment

In regards to Madmen and I know this is a sort of spoiler for you, but in regards to the women being airheads and the men being mean... A lot happens. By the last 2 seasons, I'd say those gender roles get reversed. I felt, and again, it's my opinion that certain women characters get overly cruel in regards to Don. Having seen the series 3 times (once was while it was being run) Don is a deeply flawed character that is at times appealing and other times ugly. But he's fairly progressive for his time and that office. He does help people get a leg up in the business regardless of race and gender. When Don is on a downward slope (his own fault) in later episodes people certainly sharpen their knives at a chance to stab him.

But as I said in another post MADMEN is a strange ride and when I rec' it to people there are mixed results. I very much liked it and the more I watch it the more I find how layered somethings were but I also find certain aspects to be disappointing whether it was my first viewing or my third (recent) viewing. Toward the end I watched it for certain glimmers of what it was and out of curiousity for the characters. Loved the first couple of seasons though.

Comment

I forgot if anyone mentioned this and if they did already I second it. I recently binged season 1 of BLOODLINES (Netflix). My god. I have never been so stressed watching a television show as I have this show. I watched a few episodes of season 2 and I find it kind of stressful as well and had to back off. I don't think I've ever hated a character as the "bad" brother on the show. Hats off to the writing. Man, do I get tense watching that. I saw OZARKS after that and while I think it's mildly okay it didn't really jump at me. I think had I never seen BLOODLINES and watched OZARKS I would have liked it more. They are not the same but the drama in BLOODLINE sucked me in. I worried for some characters as if I knew them.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
          I forgot if anyone mentioned this and if they did already I second it. I recently binged season 1 of BLOODLINES (Netflix). My god. I have never been so stressed watching a television show as I have this show. I watched a few episodes of season 2 and I find it kind of stressful as well and had to back off.
          I felt this way about The Following (kevin bacon series on netflix) I liked the first season even though it was very stressful and I began hating people in it. The second season just wasn't as good and I stopped watching about halfway thru.

Comment

On BLOODLINES the way this brother ruthlessly screws over his family stressed me out. They had no real idea the level of commitment he had to ruining what was built over generations. I told my wife about this and she watched it and was a wreck. In my opinion OZARKS and THE FOLLOWING (I saw it for a while to) isn't even in the realm of the tension BLOODLINES had midway through the season that tightened every episode until the end. When I say I hated a character I don't mean I hate how he was written or how he was portrayed. I mean to my core I couldn't stand the villainy of the brother. His character and misguided need for revenge was so realistic. How that actor didn't get an emmy...

Comment

Working...
            X