No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

So... Greg...

How's the reading coming? FAQ say it's usually completed mid-July.

Comment

Just waiting for August to roll around...
      INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
      Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
        I don't know enough about the inner workings of Hollywood to say if there is or isn't a bias.

But don't theories that say men and women think and write differently (emotion vs action, Mars vs Venus) just justify any perceived imbalance?

Why stress the differences between us, especially when they're just theoretical? I don't see why a woman couldn't write a brutally violent swords and sand epic, and why a man couldn't write a deeply emotional relationship drama.

The differences should just come down to personal strengths. I wouldn't write a romantic comedy, but that's not because I'm a man, or action driven, or not in touch with relationships and romance.
        Your right Anagram. Very little in this world is truly black or white. I'm sure anybody can do anything they put their minds to. But it's naive to think that everybody is equal in all ways just because society demands us to think that way. And there's no shame in differences.

If a market exists, I can fairly safely say that it has nothing to do with biases or preconcieved notions. Market analysis doesn't care what color someone skin tone is or what gender they might be. The market doesn't even see people. It sees dollar signs.

Comment

This entire thread is absurd. The simple and obvious reason for the difference is that fewer women aspire to writing scripts. Period. That can easily be surmised from the fact that the Nicholl is open to anyone -- worldwide. And very well promoted in terms of attracting entrants.
          Therefore, since the numbers show a disproportionate percentage of male writers, it's not too hard to figure out that fewer women have written and submitted scripts. Period.
          To think there's an issue here worthy of debate and discussion is just ridiculous -- unless, of course, you think the Nicholl and other major contests somehow are preventing women from entering. But that's a different thread altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
            This entire thread is absurd. The simple and obvious reason for the difference is that fewer women aspire to writing scripts. Period. That can easily be surmised from the fact that the Nicholl is open to anyone -- worldwide. And very well promoted in terms of attracting entrants.
            Therefore, since the numbers show a disproportionate percentage of male writers, it's not too hard to figure out that fewer women have written and submitted scripts. Period.
            To think there's an issue here worthy of debate and discussion is just ridiculous -- unless, of course, you think the Nicholl and other major contests somehow are preventing women from entering. But that's a different thread altogether.
            While I agree with you that the simple reason there are more male entrants is simply because more men aspired to enter the contest, I don't think there was anything wrong with asking the question in the first place.

Comment

Actually this thread was supposed to be all about this:

Originally posted by figment View Post
              Maybe it can be again when they announce the quarter-finalists.

Comment

I say time for a new thread when they announce the QFs!
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Does anyone have a more precise sense as to when the quarterfinalists will be notified?

Site says late July, but there's a lot of back and forth on Facebook which I'm not privy to (seeing as I'm not on FB). I'm wondering if people's direct timetable questions are being answered there.

Good luck to everyone! Very exciting for those of us with our work at stake, no?

Comment

should be any day now!

Comment

According to my email archives, the Nicholl notifications for the past two years kinda went as follows:

2011 - July 29th
                      2010 - July 22nd

Prior to 2010, notification might have been primarily via snail mail. I guess it could be any day now, but my money's on early next week sometime.

Comment

Last year Quarterfinalists were announced on July 30, for what that's worth. In 2010 the announcement came on July 22, and in 2009 it was on August 1. There's never any advance notice, and Greg never tips his hand. The email comes right out of the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
                          Does anyone have a more precise sense as to when the quarterfinalists will be notified?

Site says late July, but there's a lot of back and forth on Facebook which I'm not privy to (seeing as I'm not on FB). I'm wondering if people's direct timetable questions are being answered there.

Good luck to everyone! Very exciting for those of us with our work at stake, no?
                          I believe I saw on FB that Greg said it was taking longer than they thought, and weren't sure if it'd be before Aug. 1st.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

So when you say "GB never tips his hand" you mean that he doesn't post anything anywhere saying "Check your emails tomorrow/on Monday, etc."

Which means that the email could come at any time now. Like, in five minutes, or Saturday afternoon, or August 2nd at 8am.

Note to self: Give computer to friend/therapist/valet until 8/2 so that I can't manically check email like an OCD nutbag.

Comment

Originally posted by briking View Post
                              I believe I saw on FB that Greg said it was taking longer than they thought, and weren't sure if it'd be before Aug. 1st.
                              With a record number of entries, I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
                                . . . there's a lot of back and forth on Facebook which I'm not privy to (seeing as I'm not on FB).
                                Pretty sure anyone can see all of the Nicholl status updates on our Facebook page without having a FB account. You just have to visit -

http://www.facebook.com/NichollFellowships -

and you too can be part all the fun (well, you can't post).

No tipping thus far and we wish there was more tippling.

Comment

Working...
                                X