Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
jcampbell
New User

Default Needed "ADVISE"

I wrote a script with a good idea/theme and very bad writing. I'm not a writer, just did it to see if i could. Never had a writing class, nothing. After i finished, i sent out query letters with a very brief synopsis attached. About six weeks later a prod co sent a request for the script. At this point i'm sort of in the process of re-writing. I don't know what to do.
Any thoughts?
jcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
La Femme Joyeuse

Default Re: Needed "ADVISE"

J - if you sent out query letters, you were indicating that you are a writer and do have good experience and have written a good script. If you just wrote a script to see if you could do it, I think that's more than great. But you queried it which was advertising that you have goods that are well worth buying for potentially six figures +. So I'm not sure why you queried. Maybe you thought the good idea would be enough. It won't be.

Honestly, if I were you, I would ask yourself if you are now feeling inspired and serious about this and want to continue writing and take some classes, etc. If so, you can study up and rewrite the script and get it to the producer in a few weeks. Though honestly it takes more than a few weeks to rewrite a script, especially one written with little experience behind it. If you are serious - don't send the script right now. You will, in all likelihood, not be received well once they see the pages and you will not be able to submit there again. If you really don't care, go ahead, send it. But don't expect a reply.

Julie Gray

La Femme Joyeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Kevan

Alternatively, find another writer who can perform a rewrite of a couple of drafts to get it to the standard which is of the quality to send out.

You'll have to share the credit though.

And if you do offer this to another writer, please both fill a WGA co-writers agreement form and sign it that way nobody gets screwed, you or the other person. That way all the cards are laid out on the table and this thing is done honestly and above-board..

Makes sense..

EDIT: You can download a WGA co-writer/collaboration agreement form in PDF here:-
http://www.wga.org/subpage_writersre...s.aspx?id=1027
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
jcampbell
New User

Question Re: Needed "ADVISE"

I'm not doing this for the money first of all. Just for the fun of it.
If someone offered me 50 mill i would take it though.
I am not a WGA member, does that matter? how would i find someone to help me? don't know where to turn?
jcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
maralyn

well, don't panic, no one's going to offer you 50 mil, you'll be lucky if they offer you 50 cents.

A lot of prodco's do respond to a good idea by an inexperienced writer. A good idea goes a long way.

Get the script in the best shape you can, and negotiate for a more experienced writer to whip up the final daft.

maralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
odocoileus

http://www.writersstore.com/product.php?products_id=365

http://www.writersstore.com/product.php?products_id=290
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
I'm not doing this for the money first of all. Just for the fun of it.
If someone offered me 50 mill i would take it though.
I am not a WGA member, does that matter? how would i find someone to help me? don't know where to turn?
Okay, I'll offer to have a look at your script in the first instance see if I can offer any ideas and or suggestions. I'll sign a disclaimer if you want, no problem..

PM me.. If the script has potential I don't mind offering my input if you're willing to acept it and we can take it from there.

If you want to that is... The offer is there..
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
CutteRug
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Okay, I'll offer to have a look at your script in the first instance see if I can offer any ideas and or suggestions. I'll sign a disclaimer if you want, no problem..

PM me.. If the script has potential I don't mind offering my input if you're willing to acept it and we can take it from there.

If you want to that is... The offer is there..
Kevan is the Bob Kosberg of DD!!