Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films about war reporters?

I'm starting on a project about a war reporter. Any reccomendations of great movies about war correspondents, or even movies with other jobs or reasons that people would voluntarily seek out conflict zones, unlike soldiers or civilians?

thanks,
    joel

Re: Films about war reporters?

I was reasonably entertained by "The Hunting Party" with Gere and Terrence Howard.

Comment

The Killing Fields
      "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

"Welcome to Sarajevo" too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphy W View Post
          The Killing Fields
          Darn, you took mine

Blood Diamond? I know it's not the heart and soul of the movie, but isn't Jennifer Connolly's character a reporter?
          ~* Kelsey *~

http://kelseytalksaboutmovies.blog.com/

Comment

Salvador, The Year of Living Dangerously and perhaps The Story of GI Joe (Burgess Meredith as WWII frontline reporter Ernie Pyle).
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Full Metal Jacket, kinda.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

The Killing Fields is the quintessential war reporter film. To a lesser extent since it's not really about war reporting but might be worth seeing if you're trying to canvas the entire collective that's out there - The Quiet American. One of the great Brendan Fraser performances, and there aren't too many out there.
                The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

My spec about a war photographer has had a respectable life on the contest circuit (and has also earned me many meetings). To prepare for it I read the autobiography of the great British photojournalist Don McCullin, contacted the amazing James Nachtwey's agency for further research, and have off and on been in touch with the man who wrote the standard textbook on the subject, Ken Kobré. I also spent a lot of time (and still do, as I prepare, for the future, another work about a war photographer) simply looking at photographs from conflicts going back to the American Civil War, and as recently as Iraq.

There's an excellent documentary on Jim Nachtwey on DVD. Its title escapes me, but it gives you a vivid picture of what a war photographer experiences on the ground. Nachtwey had a miniature digital film camera attached to his helmet, and you see everything pretty much as he did. Except the time a bullet scraped along the top of his scalp.

I avoided every movie that even touched upon it. Go to the source, never to the second-hand.

Comment

A couple more good ones -- Harrison's Flowers (2000), Under Fire (1983)

Comment

Also: Foreign Correspondent (sort of) and The Green Berets (hilarious)...

You also might want to check out this PBS documentary about war correspondents:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingamericaatwar/

Comment

Circle of Deceit, directed by Volker Schlöndorff.

Comment

War Correspondents?

REDS

And, not a very good film, (but, free to download at the Internet Archive): JACK LONDON
                          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Read Dispatches by Michael Herr (had a hand in the script for Full Metal Jacket). Fantastic book, also featuring crazy photojournalist Sean Flynn.

Comment

Someone said "Welcome To Sarajevo" and that's a great one.

What's the based-on-the-true-story one with Michael Keaton about the CNN team trying to cover the first Iraq War?

Stretching the criteria of the question a bit, THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND gives a nightmarish view of an outsider (doctor from the West) caught up in a foreign nation's war's weirdness and trying to piece things together (as a journalist might?) Same might be said for HOTEL RWANDA and SOMETIMES IN APRIL: insights into nightmares as exotic countries come apart at the seams.
                              sigpic
                              "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                              that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                              -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Working...
                              X