No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More of a filming question

Hi Guys,

I know this is a writing forum but I thought there was more than likely someone on here who could answer my question for me.

Simply put, which month is generally the best to film outdoors in the UK?

By this I mean with the most average light. Not too dull and not too bright. I am guessing somewhere like September but thought I would ask to see what others say.

Thanks
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 05-31-2020, 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Re: More of a filming question

I will throw this out there for now since no one else has noted anything yet. I'm not a DP nor do I play one on TV. But I have lit a short film and helped with lighting on a decent number of other occasions.

Based on the weather patterns I researched for the UK, probably middle September to mid October, might be your best. It looks like there is typically some cloud cover which would help soften the light for the actors and you'd have less hard shadows all the way around from their faces to the set/location in general. In other words, a more even light without hot spots.

If you needed to shoot on a sunny day, which could come up regardless, then a 6x or 8x silks & some C-stands could be used to soften the light on the actors themselves for closeups. Even larger silks can give nice diffusion for full shots of actors, of course; and having either or both is not something an indie couldn't afford really. Should come with the G & E package or truck you hire, most likely. Or they should be fairly inexpensive to rent. A couple of hi-boys, a frame for a large silk, the silk itself (ex. 12x) and say four to six sand bags -- split between each hi-boy -- should do the trick. Possibly even tie a rope to the bottom of the frame and stake it it in the ground once set. But your grips can determine that the day of and what might work best. Then maybe a couple of bounce boards to provide a little fill and/or eye light.

Hope this can help some.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-01-2020, 05:20 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Re: More of a filming question

Originally posted by Jab2019 View Post
      Hi Guys,

I know this is a writing forum but I thought there was more than likely someone on here who could answer my question for me.

Simply put, which month is generally the best to film outdoors in the UK?

By this I mean with the most average light. Not too dull and not too bright. I am guessing somewhere like September but thought I would ask to see what others say.

Thanks
      Also, I’d go with researching to find out when you’re likely to get the sunniest weather. Polarizer filters make blue skies and green trees always look great; consistency of their use is key to continuity. Your actors can be filmed under a diffusion screen that is graded by f-stops (1-stop, ½-stop, etc.). Your other lights can have scrims of one-to two-stops to dim the lights (scrims are those round inserts with the wire mesh). Overall, your actors will be able to work with their eyes fully open under the diffuser, and the sunshine plus the polarizer filter will make colors “pop” and “sizzle ”of the wardrobe, skies, trees, and other background. If the scene is sad, of course, go with the drab, overcast days to make the audience feel the emotion, but you can still light them under the diffusion screen for evenness and to knock off a lot of specular highlights from buttons, jewelry, and bling. Adding a catch-light in the actors’ eyes is always a good idea, too, IMO; it makes their eyes appear more lively. A key light of the correct color temperature will do the trick.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-05-2020, 06:23 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
      X