Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #41
TigerFang

Default Re: Random film thread...

Movies to watch with “girl” in their titles:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) — Wow factor is high.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) — Double the wow factor of the first one.

Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)

Girl, Interrupted (1999)

Funny Girl (1968)

Earth Girls Are Easy (1988)

Shopgirl (2005) — enjoyed this novella as well

Lars and the Real Girl (2007) — Darkly humorous with a lighthearted ending.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #42
TigerFang

So where is the sequel—as promised by Christopher the Prawn—to District 9, (2009)? Still waiting....
Old 05-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #43
DDoc
Regular

Saving Private Ryan remains the best war movie imo. Still hard to watch at parts. Fury and Beasts of No Nation were also good recent ones. I only saw the Daniel Craig/Rooney Mara version of Girl with the Dragon Tatoo but I liked it.

Saw The Corpse Bride the other night. Decent enough. Beetlejuice and Nightmare Before Christmas are still my favorite Burton movies.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #44
RogerOThornhill

I have now crossed 2,000 films I have rated on IMDb.

Recently added a pair with famous songs I like: (the films are quite good too!)

Sidney Poitier and Lulu in To Sir, With Love, title song by Lulu.

and The Goodbye Girl with Quinn Cummings, Richard Dreyfus and Marsha Mason, title song by Bread's David Gates.
RogerOThornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #45
RogerOThornhill

Some random films I recently viewed and rated on IMDb...they've ranged as high as 7/10 down to
Gosford Park (2001) 2/10 and
The North Star (1943) 3/10

Some better viewing:

Noir:
Elevator to the Gallows (1958) French with English subtitles. After a well-planned murder, getting stuck in an elevator over night complicates the getaway.

War:
Attack! (1956) Eddie Albert, Jack Palance and Lee Marvin. If you know who they are, 'nuff said.

Romantic Comedy:
The Little Hut (1957) Gentleman David Niven and Stewart Granger stranded on a deserted island with the lovely Ava Gardner.

Old time fun:
I Married a Witch (1942) Nice special effects with Veronica Lake as the seductress witch.

Super Hero/Comic Book/Kids:
The Rocketeer (1991) Timothy Dalton finds a jet pack, defeats the nazis and gets the girl.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #46
RogerOThornhill

One More...

Way ahead of its time … a film that is 87 years old... (pre-Hays Code!)

Baby Face (1933)

IMDb descriptor: A young woman, sexually exploited all her life, decides to turn the tables and exploit the hapless men at a big city bank - by gleefully sleeping her way to the top.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #47
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoc View Post
Saving Private Ryan remains the best war movie imo. Still hard to watch at parts. Fury and Beasts of No Nation were also good recent ones. I only saw the Daniel Craig/Rooney Mara version of Girl with the Dragon Tatoo but I liked it.

Saw The Corpse Bride the other night. Decent enough. Beetlejuice and Nightmare Before Christmas are still my favorite Burton movies.
The Big Red One (1980) — Lee Marvin leads a cast of young stars (including Mark Hamill and Robert Carradine) to glory in battle against the German Army in World War II.

Try to obtain the 2004 re-release if possible (RT: 162 minutes). It is the superior film compared to the 1980 version.(click hyperlink to buy)

(Apologies to one and all; I don’t know how or why I forgot to include this movie in my original post.)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #48
DDoc
Regular

^I put that on the list as well. That and the aforementioned Hamburger Hill will be my next war movies, I think. Maybe Hurt Locker as well, as I enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty.

Last night it was The Quiet Man (1952). This is my second John Wayne/John Ford movie and I'd imagine a pretty early variation of the romantic comedy. It wasn't close to as good as The Searchers (1956) but it was still fun overall. A little slow at parts and some odd character choices, though they tried well enough to set them up. The almost mythical portrayal of Ireland and its people was interesting, though, and the big fist fight at the end made me laugh a few times. I think I expected a little better but I like this kind of old-school, tough man boxer comedy. Probably aren't many examples but it reminded me of the old Robert E. Howard "Sailor Steve Costigan" short stories.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #49
DDoc
Regular

Last two nights I watched-

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) - Good movie but not as good as I was expecting. The first half was interesting but fairly slow. The second half, after the arrival of the bounty hunters, was much stronger. McCabe had a solid trajectory as a character but Mrs. Miller just turned into a dead end. I'm sure that was part of the point, but the execution seemed odd. Maybe I was too drunk to notice some of the subtlety and I need to rewatch.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - A solid anime movie available for free on youtube. As far as I can tell this movie had basically one purpose; I knew exactly what was going to happen, it happened, yet it still affected me emotionally. Even my wife, who generally talks crap about anime, was in tears.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - This was my first Ingmar Bergman movie and I enjoyed it. I will definitely rewatch this at some point. Very odd and unique movie. Anyway, Block's worthy deed seemed clear enough, but -

SPOLIER-

It was sort of negated by the fact that he basically got everyone else killed, including his wife. Could he have helped them escape as well? He didn't think it would happen that way (he was praying at the end)? Death would have followed them anyway? The answers are in there, I'm sure. I need to think about it more and watch it again.

Anyway, what is the other best Bergman movie? I've heard a lot about Wild Strawberries and Through a Glass Darkly.

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1988) - This was more of a nostalgia watch than anything else. The visuals are still fantastic though, especially the end bit in the Nightmare Castle.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #50
DDoc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
Some random films I recently viewed and rated on IMDb...they've ranged as high as 7/10 down to
Gosford Park (2001) 2/10 and
Just saw my first Altman movie with McCabe and Mrs. Miller. What didn't you like about Gosford Park?