Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any non-US writers here?

I write for Hollywood. Big, studio ****.

Comment

New Zealand.

Comment

Canadian, in Vancouver.
        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by muser777 View Post
          Am a Brit in Czech Republic. Any others in Prague, get in touch - I run a script anatomy group with other writers here. Makes analyzing scripts more fun, and provides a decent forum for feedback. Helps retain the faculty of speech too.
          SO jealous. I love Prague. If you don't mind my asking, what do you do out there (besides write screenplays)?

Comment

To quote James Cameron: "I'm Canadian, motherfu**er"
            I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              Spain.
              PM'ed you...

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                SO jealous. I love Prague.
                +1. My favourite European city by a mile. (Though I was there before McDonalds, etc. had moved into the Old City. I'm sure it's quite different now.)

I have a photo of Karluv Most on my wall. I bought it from a photographer plying his wares on the bridge. Takes me right back to that day every time I look at it.

Sorry! Back to non-US-based writers...
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                  +1. My favourite European city by a mile. (Though I was there before McDonalds, etc. had moved into the Old City. I'm sure it's quite different now.)

I have a photo of Karluv Most on my wall. I bought it from a photographer plying his wares on the bridge. Takes me right back to that day every time I look at it.

Sorry! Back to non-US-based writers...

I like that the McDonald's in Prague gives you a muffin with your value meal.

Comment

London, UK.

Originally posted by spinningdoc View Post
                    Unless you're Fellows, Curtis or Harwood, UK film doesn't really support a living wage for writers.
                    ^^ Yep.

I write mainly for Hollywood, but have a few British projects in mind...

Comment

I'm Scottish but live in New York. Write solely for the recycle bin so far.

I seem to have US and particularly New York in mind when I write, mainly because I live here and know the areas, but I like to minimise the amount of 'zee's' I use to retain that quirky Britishness.

Comment

At least you've got an advantage guys. English is your native language. I have to use a translator for my scripts and to cross fingers the translation is done well enough. I had couple of reads so far from well respected companies but nothing except an open door to submit my next script!
                        Minds are like parachutes: they only function when open!

Comment

UK, I've mainly focussed on a novel of late, and novel writing, Brit based in conception, wrote a screenplay based in Cornwall, England last year, indie-work, small budget, I'd lived there once...
                          And, write some American stuff, I don't know why, but seem to find the outside of a culture perspective appeals, inside the culture you can be too close to things. At least for me it's been that way...

Have had a long term interest in the USA, always fascinated me as country. Wouldn't have hesitated to move to LA if opportunity allowed at one time, not so sure now though, I like the UK too much.
                          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

A writer from Barcelona right here!
                            Had my first spec optioned but didn't get any further... Things are looking really bad for cinema in here so I've started to write in English, something I always wanted to do anyway... I did my senior year next to Denver Colorado so I can hold my own in English... It's still HARD to do anyway... I'm not giving up though!

Comment

UK here too. Hey Road Warrior, I'm going down the novel route myself at the moment; been adapting one of my older scripts. How are you finding the transition? Or were you originally a novel writer?

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
                                UK here too. Hey Road Warrior, I'm going down the novel route myself at the moment; been adapting one of my older scripts. How are you finding the transition? Or were you originally a novel writer?
                                It's a strange conversion, I began by writing scripts, quickly, around 6/7 and then choked, and thought, I need to write a novel, for the long term, you know, if I never sell a script I wanted the background in novel writing, as it's not easy to convert later in I've been informed...

So wrote 2 novels at 130,000 words or so apiece, one in 1st P, and the next in TP, just for the slog and practice of it.

Anyway, the first novel went quite well, I was on fire back then... and had it all figured out, and thought it would always be like that, but this was unusual... and I wrote it fast too, and then got some feedback from somebody with a good eye and knew would be fair, "well written" was the simple response, good enough for what I wanted from it at the time...

But then came to the point where I decided to try out the real thing... this is after a second novel as practice run.... on third one now and currently at around 150,000 words out of a projected 200,000 first draft. And it's been very very hard work indeed, and... as I got distracted in the middle by life and events this time out, it almost fell apart completely, that was at 50,000 words or so, a year ago... painful.

I just couldn't get through a wall.

Anyway... just making a turn of sorts, gone back to scripts recently, very rusty, and continuing with the steady novel writing, so *hopefully* I've kind of paid my dues to make the tricky turn into pursuing both forms...

Now, to publish, that's still a way off, a bit of a perfectionist, so figured my early efforts would be apprentice work only, and they largely are, you make all your mistakes, and you learn... a great deal...

I try to write something like 1500-2000 words per day if that sounds familiar, early mornings, routine is the only tip I could possibly give if somebody is trying it out as a first attempt... but only because this seems to have worked for me. The rest being trial and error.

And it's really hard work as you'll know, all writing is. But rewarding of course. The writing is the only reward at the moment though, and I figure it should largely remain so... even after publication...

Have no experience of adapting, but I will say this, I began to appreciate the differences between the novel and scripts, in a way that is hard to explain, you just begin to see the approach to each, perhaps you've found that?... and appreciate the differences and the similariities.

Anyway, I'll stop babbling now...
                                Last edited by The Road Warrior; 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM.
                                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                                X