Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
MAWriter
New User

Default Shorts?

Hello. So I am finally getting around to using my subscription on DDP.

Before I take a detailed look at the directories I have a little question for members.

Are there companies listed on DDP that purchase shorts? I know it's unlikely but I am curious. I already have a handful of potential buyers from outside DDP (if they are listed here, I do not know) that might be interested in shorts, but I wouldn't mind expanding the list to increase my chances. I have shorts in about 3 or 4 genres. Not super shorts like 5 minutes. Mine are about 20 to 30 minute events.

I hope I posted this in the right section.
MAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Shorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWriter View Post
Are there companies listed on DDP that purchase shorts? I know it's unlikely but I am curious. I already have a handful of potential buyers from outside DDP (if they are listed here, I do not know) that might be interested in shorts, but I wouldn't mind expanding the list to increase my chances. I have shorts in about 3 or 4 genres. Not super shorts like 5 minutes. Mine are about 20 to 30 minute events.
Essentially, no. We don't list companies that are looking to buy shorts, per se. The only time we list anything really to do with shorts is if some filmmaker produced some wildly engaging, interesting, funny, fantastic, other worldly, award winning, etc. short that companies decided to pick up to try to adapt into a feature. Things like SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW, PIXELS (sadly), THE FLYING MAN, SUNDAYS, and so on. In our 20 years as a site we've listed around 100 deals involving short films; and a few of those are proof-of-concept short films. We never list companies as being interested or not in shorts. That's not us. But if you go to the DEALS ARCHIVES you can do a search for "short film" and see all the deals we have listed and the companies, producers and so on involved with each.

Again, the ones being picked up in almost every case truly standout for their inventiveness, uniqueness and/or quality not to mention in many cases how viral they have become, in some cases.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
CthulhuRises

Post it on InkTip (about the only thing they're good for). I posted a short there a few years back which is now killing it on the Festival circuit and will screening at Comic-Con next week. Am I making money off it? No. But it's generating buzz.

Also, make sure you keep the underlying story rights. I've developed mine into a Pilot so if some Producer/Studio loves the short, it's me they have to talk to and not the director (they're going to be the ones getting all the awards and heat).
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
MAWriter
New User

@ DPP

Thanks, that's basically what I thought. I didn't expect to get a listing here for that to be honest; it's not why I got a sub.
I have full length scripts and with the brief scan I did, I spotted more than a few prospective companies to focus on.

I did a bunch of short to test myself and because I saw quite a few independent and beginner filmmakers requesting them.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
MAWriter
New User

@CthulhuRises

Thanks for the Inktip advice. Honestly I am wary of a site where you need to post your work and then wait...and wait...and wait. I much prefer to search and seek out producers and companies on my own.

Great for you on the Comic Con success. Congratulations. I have a selection of people who are potentially interested in the shorts I do (a few are thrillers, always popular). I think I might look to TV producers looking for slots to fill for Halloween movie specials, if that kind of thing still exists (I have a soft spot for them).

I intend to focus on my feature length horror and thrillers though, when it comes to DPP.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWriter View Post
@CthulhuRises

Thanks for the Inktip advice. Honestly I am wary of a site where you need to post your work and then wait...and wait...and wait. I much prefer to search and seek out producers and companies on my own.

Great for you on the Comic Con success. Congratulations. I have a selection of people who are potentially interested in the shorts I do (a few are thrillers, always popular). I think I might look to TV producers looking for slots to fill for Halloween movie specials, if that kind of thing still exists (I have a soft spot for them).

I intend to focus on my feature length horror and thrillers though, when it comes to DPP.
Well you can do both. Also, you just post your logline, not the full script.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
catcon

I have a trilogy for you:

Buy a pack of pitches at VirtualPitchFest.com. You can use the pitches for shorts/features/pilots then, or hold onto the pitches forever, till you see some good opportunity... MEANWHILE, once you're a signed-up member of VPF, you can access their 'submit pitches' page, which lists all their members and what they're looking for. I use it as a foundation both for my own searches, and for pitching on VPF itself (when I have pitches).

I just checked, and there are some who are seeking 'shorts'.

Also, I agree with the comment about InkTip, though I think it's good for other things, too. Sign on for their 'preferred newsletter' (about $60 for 16 weeks of newsletters, each with 9-12 leads). I've seen lots of shorts requested there.

Lastly, there's no reason not to consider ScriptRevolution.com. The visitors can search for 'shorts' (or page length), so that would be one place to place those, or any of your scripts. You can post your script for download, or just post its details and tell visitors to email you.

catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
MAWriter
New User

Thanks Catcon. I do believe I have IT's free newsletter, but I can't recall purchasing something from them.

Didn't even think of Script Revolution but it's a good idea. I have a couple decent kids/family full features though (plus my thrillers), so my main focus now is making as many cold queries as I can. I'm trying to be as prolific as I can after period of procrastination.