Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now This is a Rejection Letter...

Your email addressed to XXXXXX regarding your unsolicited materials XXXXXXX has been forwarded to this department for response.

Due to legal and insurance restrictions, including but not limited to copyright concerns, Mosaic has a strict policy prohibiting the acceptance of unsolicited literary, dramatic or musical materials in any form for consideration. Material may only be accepted for consideration when submitted by an agent or attorney with whom Mosaic has an established working relationship. This unalterable policy serves to avoid potential litigation based upon the submission of ideas, themes, suggestions or other material identical or similar in nature to projects that Mosaic is currently or may have been developing and/or producing.

We are, therefore, returning to you herewith, without review, examination or consideration of any kind, the unsolicited material which you submitted to Mosaic. The material was perused only to the minimal extent needed to determine its nature, and no notice was taken of its literary content. Kindly refrain from making any future submissions to Mosaic in this manner, and please be advised that any similarities that may exist between your material and any project produced by Mosaic (or any of its affiliates) is purely coincidental.

Thank you for your interest in Mosaic and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Very truly yours,
    i got two of them. forgot how much this **** sucks. oh, and they did not return my email-- ima gonna sue! haha

i'm thinking i should "blast" the entire staff, keep this guy busy for a few days. jk. we'll become besties and then he'll let it slide... haha
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Now This is a Rejection Letter...

They've changed their wording a bit since I got mine in 2009!

Comment

I thought this was going to be a funny rejection not legal bullshit! I'm disappointed! Yeah, I got most of those from agents.

Did you email 1 person directly?

I"m going to say this again -- what I said to you a few times (broken record) -- your website may be tripping up some alarms in signature. You never know? I would try some queries without it, including to them again, just wait a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I thought this was going to be a funny rejection not legal bullshit! I'm disappointed! Yeah, I got most of those from agents.

Did you email 1 person directly?

I"m going to say this again -- what I said to you a few times (broken record) -- your website may be tripping up some alarms in signature. You never know? I would try some queries without it, including to them again, just wait a week or so.
        a few. these two "reported" me. haha sorry to disappoint. this is overkill. when i get a funny one, you'll be the first to know.

i mean, all they had to do is say, we have a no solicitation policy.

good to know, Catcon.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I received more than one cease-and-desist from Mosaic years ago when querying, but also received requests from two separate managers there who I had queried that same day, after I guessed the firm was big enough that managers weren't comparing queries. Never heard back from one manager, but the other signed me. The representation went nowhere, which I blame on the shortcomings of my writing, but the legal dept responses are meaningless, there and everywhere else.

Comment

Well -- some nimrods tried to sue everyone even slightly connected to "Pirates of the Caribbean", because their pirate screenplay ALSO had a "skull and crossbones" flag.
            "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

With the mass firing of agents by the WGA, management firms are in overdrive to service those writers. Until this ATA crap is solved, you'll see more and more of this from managers. This might be the worst time ever to look for reps, but a good time to query producers.... if you've got under 5 million dollar budgeted scripts. Big budget script = automatic pass right now.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
                Well -- some nimrods tried to sue everyone even slightly connected to "Pirates of the Caribbean", because their pirate screenplay ALSO had a "skull and crossbones" flag.
                Hmm. I'm still pitching my "Scary Stories for a Summer Beach Party" (an anthology), but I've started to put in an apology in the P.S. (since the title's so similar to the soon-to-be-released "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.")

Maybe I shouldn't apologize and just let 'em think I'm a knock-off artist. After all, whenever anybody has a success, for the next few months all you hear in the biz is "Get me something like that!" And if you type "scary stories" in IMDB (search by title) you get tons of stuff.

But still... "scary stories". I'm sure the SSTTITD folks will be calling their legal team in for a consultation!

Comment

I got a similar response from Mosaic yesterday.

"Hi ______,

Im unable to receive unsolicited submissions.

Thank you,
                  _______"

The odd thing about it is this person (manager) forwarded the email chain to someone else. I looked up that person and found out he's an accountant with the company. Not sure what that means. Are they trying to keep track of all the unsolicited submissions they receive?

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post

"Hi ______,

Thank you,
                    _______"

The odd thing about it is this person (manager) forwarded the email chain to someone else. I looked up that person and found out he's an accountant with the company. Not sure what that means. Are they trying to keep track of all the unsolicited submissions they receive?
                    Given the amount of queries they receive in a single day, let alone over the course of months or even years, I doubt it.

Comment

Well, since this has turned into a Mosaic thread, I went way, way back to my own rejection from them. I think it proves they're just using stock blocks of text that each recipient or assistant has on-hand. Example:

Your email addressed to Charles Roven regarding your unsolicited request to submit Hamster Factor and Other Tales of 12 Monkeys has been forwarded to this department for response.
                      Well, "Hamster Factor" wasn't my story, it was one of THEIR OWN (the 'Making of" documentary made during the production of Mosaic/Atlas' own "Twelve Monkeys").

I'd referenced "Hamster Fctor" in my email to Roven, but then his assistant took that to be what I was trying to submit.

On the other hand, just because they're using "stock blocks" of text, doesn't mean their not serious about their no-unsolicited frame of mind. Except when Jake Kurily showed up on VPF for a while, I was never able to get anything to them, except for a "Maybe, but not now" type of response on LinkedIn, to one of their assistants in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
                        I received more than one cease-and-desist from Mosaic years ago when querying, but also received requests from two separate managers there who I had queried that same day, after I guessed the firm was big enough that managers weren't comparing queries. Never heard back from one manager, but the other signed me. The representation went nowhere, which I blame on the shortcomings of my writing, but the legal dept responses are meaningless, there and everywhere else.
                        i hear ya'. this was sooooo long, though. could've just said, we don't accept queries. be done.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                          With the mass firing of agents by the WGA, management firms are in overdrive to service those writers. Until this ATA crap is solved, you'll see more and more of this from managers. This might be the worst time ever to look for reps, but a good time to query producers.... if you've got under 5 million dollar budgeted scripts. Big budget script = automatic pass right now.
                          you're absolutely right on both accounts. i'm working with a producer, we'll see where it goes. surprising because the budget is north of 40. as long as he loves it and believes he can get it made, my ears are a listenin'.

what's funny, is a couple of days ago an A-list manager requested my script within an hour of sending the query to him. now, it may take him a bit to get to it and he still may pass, but it's a good sign. don't give up.

i think that's a good lesson. just because you get rejected, doesn't mean everyone will reject you... just most of them. haha.

all i need is one, THE one.

Comment

Found same letter in 2010 -- 5 days apart -- 1 manager read the spec and 2 others forward me to the dept of "no send us material a$$hole dept."

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post

"Hi ______,

Thank you,
                              _______"

No idea...

But I can say this. CAA does. Meaning, they have a "psychos list." Intel on people who if they walk into the building they already know to get them the fukk outta there ASAP. So, some shops do cultivate lists. I don't remember the exact criteria to land on these lists, but threats are the main way.
                              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                              X