Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
AnyOtherName
Regular

Default Re: Top Showrunners in Support of Nagys' Presidency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Are John and Craig on different sides of this issue now? I can't tell. I swear to god the more i learn the less I know. I'm so sick of feeling this dumb. I'll guess I'll just quit caring as I'm not in WGA yet.
John is on the Board and a big proponent of the action. I guess I'm not sure what Craig thinks anymore? On the podcast, he seemed to dismiss affiliated production as unimportant and voiced a desire to "get back to work" with his agents (which would put him at odds with John). In the Shawn Ryan exchange, he seems to suggest that affiliated production is a make-or-break issue and that he wants to stay the course with the present action unless the ATA is willing to make huge, meaningful concessions (which is exactly the leadership's position).

I'm guessing here, but I think the underlying disagreement may be about the inevitability of Big Four primacy. I get the feeling that many in leadership (and possibly/probably John) want to break up the big agencies; they see this action ending with a representation landscape that looks VERY different from the status quo. Craig, on the other hand, seems to think that's either impossible or undesirable, and he sees this action ending with everything pretty much the way it is now but with packaging reform and a partial or total curtailment of affiliated production.

I don't know how long you all have been around these parts, but Craig used to hang out here all the time. Who knows? Maybe he'll jump in and clarify.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
lostfootage
Regular

Craig was running for VP of WGA West and dropped out yesterday for family reasons. I don't think he'll chime in here. I'm just now starting to read all the threads and articles, and I'm totally confused about what's going on. Though I did find the thread that David Simon to be the most clarifying.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/craig-m...ld-1202658137/
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
Craig, on the other hand, seems to think that's either impossible or undesirable, and he sees this action ending with everything pretty much the way it is now but with packaging reform and a partial or total curtailment of affiliated production.
from the articles i read, this is my understanding as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
figment

The new candidates have a website.

Too bad the WGA can't just have David Simon run for all positions.

https://www.wgaforwardtogether.com/#CANDIDATES
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
Bono

So John August posted a WGA related post on his website explaining what the WGA has been doing. I can't tell what Craig side of this argument is, but I can't believe he thinks he's wrong either. Probably that they didn't take on ATA (whatever the hell that is!. Honestly I don't really get it.)

So it's fascinating that 2 close friends who do the podcast together can't actually talk about this issue, but now John can post this? Why now and not 3 weeks ago?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
So it's fascinating that 2 close friends who do the podcast together can't actually talk about this issue, but now John can post this? Why now and not 3 weeks ago?
the difference of opinion as i read it boils down to John wanting to correct the common talking point by folks on Craig's side of the issue, that the WGA is "not negotiating" -- the raison d'etre of Phyllis' slate is purportedly to get the guild "back in the room" with the ATA. As John notes in his post, negotiations never stopped, they only stopped with the ATA itself when it became clear that the sides weren't speaking the same language at all on packaging fees and affiliate productions. at that time, leadership made explicit that they were totally open to negotiating with any ATA agency on an individual basis -- and thus far Verve (not ATA) and Kaplan Stahler and Buchwald (ATA) have taken the guild up on the offer. it was posted on several writers' twitter feeds that there was another mid-tier (presumably) agency that had scheduled a negotiation session with the guild but canceled the day that the Nagy support letter was released because they wanted to wait and see how it all shakes out.

To Phyllis and Co., negotiating deals with any agencies that aren't WME, CAA, UTA, or ICM is a pointless waste of time because the Verves of the world won't have access to the same projects and talent so why bother. still waiting to more than their Secret Plan for Victory as to how they would do anything different than Goodman & Young have to obtain a different, better result.

[anyone ever take classes from Phyllis in UCLA's screenwriting program?

https://deadline.com/2019/08/phyllis...a-1202662135/]
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #17
DangoForth

LOL! It could easily be pointed out that negotiating with WME, CAA, UTA, or ICM is a pointless waste of time. They have already shown they have ZERO interest in negotiating (a year's warning contract was coming and they did nothing, a counter offer for sharing packaging $$ that was less than minuscule, an "okay, we'll double that less than minuscule" response, and an "Oh, and you can't see our books to know if you're even getting THAT...)
WGA alone probably will not break them out of their entrenchment. But now we're seeing members of SAG-AFTRA coming to realize that these four no longer hold their fiduciary interests. If they break, directors will be right behind. This is a much bigger issue than just writers. They know it. And they CANNOT let that process even look like a possibility with us.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote