Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #71
Merrick
User

Default Re: Reformatting from left-justified

Whoa! Good question.

So, I think I started hacking down at around 35600. It's 28482 now.

I literally cut 20% of the writing in the translation to script format without cutting a single scene. And the meaning is precisely the same.

That puts me at ~174 words per page. I wonder what affects this? Probably higher word count on scripts with more action and less dialogue?

In AfterWriting, it comes out that it's a 2:43 film with 2:10 being dialogue.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #72
Bono

Never done that before, a 115 page comedy draft of my last good spec was 20,677 words for whatever that is worth.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #73
Merrick
User

Quick update - wound up sending the script to a few people on the forum just to see. Overall very positive replies from 2/3 who wrote back.

Same big note from both - hack it down to a more traditional length.

Some other notes as well of course. But both told me the script is one worth finishing and could very well get read and passed around.

As I now realize I will probably never get read in the Hollywood system at 166 pgs (so this is a harsh but very reasonable note), I will make another version of the script that is as short as humanly possible. I don't know if I'll get under 140, but I'll really try.

After that, I gotta move on. I developed several other ideas while writing this one. And two of those are developing in my head at the same time. Think I wanna act on those and write some more. And I will start breaking this one down on the production end so if and when (hopefully) the money comes in, I'm ready to go with a lot of production notes.

Big thanks to everyone for your help!

Last edited by Merrick : 09-01-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #74
Bono

Thanks for the update. Glad you're going to start script 2! That's the way to do it!

Hack down the length is the same note everyone on this forum gave you before we read it too. Ha ha.

As someone that has been kicked in the balls by Hollywood (thank you sir may i have another?) if you think people saying cutting pages is HARSH, then I would encourage you to write more scripts, get more feedback, because it gets much harder than that to take emotionally.

In fact, the worst is the NO RESPONSE at all. good luck.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #75
Bono

My current thing is 38 pages TV pilot. Lots of white space (act breaks, tag). I don't know if I need that crap in 2019 but right now it's there. And a big note I got from all readers is it's TOO LONG. OVER-WRITTEN.

Prefer it be 30 pages.

And you know what? They're all right! Now maybe I land on 32 pages, but 6 pages out of 38, do that math on a 160 pages script and you'll lose 40 pages easily.

I got great but hard and helpful feedback from many including two people on this board. I was going to name names like Gucci just now but then I'm afraid those people will get PM'd to death. But thank you.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #76
Merrick
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Hack down the length is the same note everyone on this forum gave you before we read it too. Ha ha.
Sure, and it's not harsh in the way of hurt feelings or anything. It's harsh in that:

* I spent 1,5 years on it and hit my limit for how much tinkering I want to dedicate to this one project, so it's an extra smack in the face of a few weeks work.

* I realize that their reaction is basically how most in the US film industry will react to a first time writer. My personal preference is that page count doesn't matter, but honestly if it's that close that tightening up the material a bit could be the difference between a massive struggle of getting it read and people will actually consider it, I'm willing to try it.

My preference is not to edit and move on, but I know that if people won't even look at it at this length, it's pointless for me. Better to get to a length they'll check out and of course there can be some feelings this way or that way, but I need to get it to that point where the attention is solely on the content and not amount of pages.

I expect things will change along the way if it actually makes its way to production. I'd love to workshop it with actors and crew before shooting. So it's not like my feelings are hurt by honest feedback. I just want to move on, as there is a lot in life to get done!
Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #77
Bono

Understand. If you want to move on to script 2 thatís the best advice Iíd give. At first you seemed like you were 1 and done. Glad youíre not. And Iím telling you by the time you reach script 10 you will also come to agree on the page count. Make your next one shorter and youíll be happy you did.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #78
Bono

Also attention spans are getting worse and worse (squirrel!) that 2 hours to a teenager or younger feels like 3 weeks. They watch 3 minute videos. I’m even getting that way. So the people reading our stuff as we get older they get younger — page count is even more of a thing.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #79
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
My current thing is 38 pages TV pilot. Lots of white space (act breaks, tag). I don't know if I need that crap in 2019 but right now it's there. And a big note I got from all readers is it's TOO LONG. OVER-WRITTEN.

Prefer it be 30 pages.

And you know what? They're all right! Now maybe I land on 32 pages, but 6 pages out of 38, do that math on a 160 pages script and you'll lose 40 pages easily.

I got great but hard and helpful feedback from many including two people on this board. I was going to name names like Gucci just now but then I'm afraid those people will get PM'd to death. But thank you.
Ha! I'm probably dead in this industry. The truth??? You can't handle the truth, bruh (not you, "them")! LOL. FUKK IT! I'ma go out like Thelma and Louise. They're dead, but at least people respected them!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #80
GucciGhostXXX

But yeah...

I agree with Bono. I can barely stand to read a text. Bruh, hit me quick or I'm super skimming...

But, agreed, the more scripts you write, the more you'll be like "This should be WAY shorter."

You want it long? Dude, write a book. No prob!

But understand this: We had a writer who had to adapt her own book. She was able to cut that story from... I forget the original script draft page count, 177? Down to something more reasonable.

BUT! If you have a hit book, 26 weeks on the NYTimes best seller list in the #1 spot, you can pull sh!t like that and the town will be like "yeah... whatevez." For the rest of us... pretty much, nah.

If your story MUST be that many words, why not just write it as a book.

Regardless, if someone pays you to adapt it, you're gonna have to cut. Fincher cut it. That's just reality. Final running time 2h 29m. Budget $61 million. Box office, $369.3 million.

A MADE movie is far better than a NOT made movie. The checks you'll receive will reflect that.