Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
Merlin
User

Default Re: Nearing completion - what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
My trick was to go through the thing - not reading it word-for-word - but to examine page endings. If I saw a bottom border of 9.8 inches, I knew that with some sort of edit in the page I might bring up that short description paragraph or short dialogue from the next page! Also, I wanted to apply the old "get in late, get out early" rule, as aggressively as I could. Especially at the ends of scenes, it's awfully easy to add a short dialogue or description paragraph, one that upon reflection can be blown away without effecting the flow or intent.
I don't really get this. I'm using Scrivener in screenwriting mode. Some scenes are only 10 lines of text. Others are 3 pages. When I print the stuff, a single paper page can contain 3 scenes. Page break has nothing to do with scene break. Large bottom borders don't exist. Am I doing something wrong?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
Merlin
User

BTW, thanks for all the advice.

As to rewriting, Iíve been doing little else since I started this project. As often as not, I try to read the whole script through but seldom get past scene 5 or 6 because I always find things that need to be changed. Particularly the dialogue.

What I lack is precisely the sort of people youíre telling me I need. Who could read the text and mark things that could be improved. I know some people who have had novels published. Perhaps I should ask them.

Merlin
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I don't really get this. I'm using Scrivener in screenwriting mode. Some scenes are only 10 lines of text. Others are 3 pages. When I print the stuff, a single paper page can contain 3 scenes. Page break has nothing to do with scene break. Large bottom borders don't exist. Am I doing something wrong?
I was just describing another way to target cropping a script, in this case by using the page ending to make sure that every page is as FULL as it can be.

By scene, there's far less reason to cut a quarter-page scene, but if you have a scene that goes 2.5 pages, there may be room for a trim.

To view the page endings, simply refer to the printout, or view the PDF, or do a print-preview. I don't know Scrivener, but it'd be a strange piece of software that doesn't show you page endings of the final product.

Well, a search on Scrivener has shown me enough. It looks fairly sophisticated and shouldn't prevent you from trying what I've suggested. But certainly, the tactic I described is a last-stage attempt to find 2-5 percent, not to shrink 164 pages to 115 in one go around.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
JoeBanks

put it in a drawer and write about nine more
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
put it in a drawer and write about nine more
Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #16
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
BTW, thanks for all the advice.

As to rewriting, Iíve been doing little else since I started this project. As often as not, I try to read the whole script through but seldom get past scene 5 or 6 because I always find things that need to be changed. Particularly the dialogue.

What I lack is precisely the sort of people youíre telling me I need. Who could read the text and mark things that could be improved. I know some people who have had novels published. Perhaps I should ask them.

Merlin
This happens to many screenwriters. Act One has been rewriting 100 times and pages 25-100 got nothing.

Got to tell yourself, I'm going to read this whole thing and take big sweeping notes of what doesn't work.

Then you can focus on fixing big things.

Then you can go back and focus on only dialogue. Then dialogue of one character.

Then fixing up action lines.

Then rereading the entire thing again.

By the way printing the script out really makes you see mistakes you wouldn't see otherwise.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 AM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
By the way printing the script out really makes you see mistakes you wouldn't see otherwise.
I always do that.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Bono

I USED to always print them out. I think I lost that simple practice. I will start it again.

I'm so old, I remember when scripts were on paper! And I had to talk about how to bind them and what cover stock to use!

I actually sent scripts to people in the mail!

Same with film editing. I used a Steenbeck first.

I think all that old school stuff does make you appreciate more Final Draft and Final Cut Pro... and always teaches you stuff the younger crowd is missing.

When you have to print out the 164 page script over and over and over and you run out of paper and you can't find brads to bind it, maybe you'll be more likely to trim your script down. Digital PDF you can write 300 page scripts, no problem.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I USED to always print them out. I think I lost that simple practice. I will start it again.

I'm so old, I remember when scripts were on paper! And I had to talk about how to bind them and what cover stock to use!

I actually sent scripts to people in the mail!

Same with film editing. I used a Steenbeck first.

I think all that old school stuff does make you appreciate more Final Draft and Final Cut Pro... and always teaches you stuff the younger crowd is missing.

When you have to print out the 164 page script over and over and over and you run out of paper and you can't find brads to bind it, maybe you'll be more likely to trim your script down. Digital PDF you can write 300 page scripts, no problem.
HAHA! (you get an extra "HA!" on that one...) no sh!t, right?

I do remember the brads days, but I was in music back then. Still, I was reading client's scripts, even back then, and giving notes. Why'd it take me so long to say "Wait... hmmmm... should I try writing something?" No idea...

I do miss the days where the agency printed it with the cover and title on the spine. Felt cool to hold the script in hand all nice and neat. My favorite LOOK was Resolution's all black covers, looked rad! I saved my drafts in that format for the fukk of it. Just looks cool. Even though all of them have since been edited a billion times.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
Rantanplan

Now to actually answer your question:

-Once you feel your script is ready, you need to get it out there. This usually means submitting it to a manager (don't bother with agents at this point). This very website has a great section for paying members that lists just about every management company out there along with email addresses. Done Deal Pro also has a great section where you can read about script sales dating back several years, which you can research by genre, production company, agency and more. Very useful. So for instance, if you wrote a comedy, you can do a search by "comedy" and find the best reps to target.

-Some writers prefer to target production companies directly. This website also has those lists (another good resource for research is IMDPro, which is more expensive). There are also places like Virtual Pitch Fest where you can directly send a pitch to producers, agents, managers etc., for a fee.

-What do you send? You do NOT send a script. You write a kick-ass query with a logline (capsule description) and short letter. Make sure the object / subject in your email is catchy. Check the logline / query section in these forums for inspiration.

-This website also includes free examples of queries, contracts and stuff like that.

-Submitting your script to contests is also a good way to get it out there. If you place in some of the top contests, it will be easier to get reps to read your material.

-Search these forums for info on all of this: script reading services, contests, agents, etc.

-Of course rewrite your script, but don't let the advice here discourage you. Send it out after your first or second rewrite and see what happens! And def. show friends and family. Everybody today has grown up watching thousands of hours of content. They will know intuitively when things feel wrong with a story or character, even if some of the more technical or structural or creative / literary aspects of a script escape them.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rantanplan : 08-21-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote