Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
cacglass
New User

Default Help! Need advice on producer

Hi All:

I wanted to bounce this off of someone. Any assistance is appreciated.
What I was told seems to go against what I have come across in my research. I have an independent producer contact who agreed to look at a treatment for a reality tv show. She had me sign a NDA, etc. She said that the way she works is that anyone who comes to her with an idea that she thinks is developable, would come in through a deal under their company. But with no TV credits since networks like to eliminate those parties so I become part of their team.

Well first of all, I have more than an idea here. It is a pretty specific show treatment (and I have read the case law about how they have to be specific and this is unique).

Is this process normal? I have not sent the treatment yet.

Thanks for any advice from any of the experienced tv writers (or anyone).
cacglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Norm
Regular

Default Re: Help! Need advice on producer

Do not send your bible. Do not sign anything. Just send a follow up that you appreciate her interest, am packaging my material, and will send it off asap.

IN THE MEANTIME, check the threads here on Reality TV, entertainment attorneys, managers -- do your research -- and see if you can partner with a professional who can protect your work while making a sale at the same time.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
cacglass
New User

Thanks Norm. I have spent about 6 months off and on searching the archives here and elsewhere. I know NDAs are sometimes used. I am not sure why I need to partner with someone to "protect" my interest since I have not signed over any of my rights (and have no intentions of doing so) and the treatment is WGA registered. Of course, I will consult an attorney with expertise in the field should a real deal be discussed.

I simply thought this producer's process looked rather odd based on what I have read in this forum and others. Any feedback on this producers "process" would be appreciated.
cacglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Juno Styles

If you're the one with the treatment, then why are you signing HER NDA? Also WGA registration is kind of worthless if you end up ever having to go to court. It's a waste of money. There's no stronger protection than US Copyright office. You can do it online, it lasts until the day you die plus 70 additional years and it's not like it costs an arm an a leg.

I wouldn't package anything and send it to anyone until I know who I'm sending it to. If your gut tells you something isn't right then listen and move on.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Dock
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Do not send your bible. Do not sign anything. Just send a follow up that you appreciate her interest, am packaging my material, and will send it off asap.

IN THE MEANTIME, check the threads here on Reality TV, entertainment attorneys, managers -- do your research -- and see if you can partner with a professional who can protect your work while making a sale at the same time.
Wait...so tell her you appreciate her interest, send off your material without signing anything and do it asap despite she's requiring an NDA signature to protect herself THEN do research on TV, entertainment attorneys, managers, etc in the threads and see if you can partner with a professional who can protect your work while making a sale?

Did you intentionally mean to give bad advice or did you mean to write the 2nd paragraph before the first one?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Norm
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dock View Post
Wait...so tell her you appreciate her interest, send off your material without signing anything and do it asap despite she's requiring an NDA signature to protect herself THEN do research on TV, entertainment attorneys, managers, etc in the threads and see if you can partner with a professional who can protect your work while making a sale?

Did you intentionally mean to give bad advice or did you mean to write the 2nd paragraph before the first one?
No. I didn't say that he should REALLY send the material; I said he should send her some kind of polite email to keep communications open, just in case. However, I should not have used "asap."

The point to sending that kind of email is to buy time and do some research on that world and how he can protect his work. Also to see if he could find another Producer to see what they might offer. Most of all, however, would be to see if he could find some kind of rep to assess his project, tell them about this Producer, and let them deal with the NDA.

If he must return to that Producer, he can say that he's struggling with the NDA and the other aspects of the release (which most of you know all lawyers caution against signing) and ask if she can be more flexible. If not, he's no worse for wear and has at least learned a little more about protecting his rights and thought a little more if he should go forward with her.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Dock
Regular

Gotcha.