Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #41
Mpimentel
Regular

Default Re: Amazon Studios 45 days - Still evaluating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madworld View Post
This is where I think you might be going off the rails a bit. Again - no judgement- but half-assed father? Opt out of having kids, sure, I totally get that. Kids take a ton of focus and that's not for everyone. But if you have a kid, when you bring someone into the world, you're responsible for them. JMHO.

oh I know, it's wrong, as a person with no kids, I can't see me caring about a kid more than this... AGAIN however, once (if) I have a kid, I hope life changes me... But I perfectly see me as that successful man whose kids despise him for not being there for their birthdays. Like I wrote my own story, I can see it so clear... It is wrong, but that's who my character is.

I appreciate you being so cool about this though, I respect you respecting my views... Even when it differs from yours, again thank you for that.
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #42
Friday

What are these guys looking for? Projects under a certain price range? I just wonder if there is a budget that is too high for Amazon Studios.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #43
catcon

Wink Re: Amazon Studios 45 days - Still evaluating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
What are these guys looking for? Projects under a certain price range? I just wonder if there is a budget that is too high for Amazon Studios.
Since they don't really answer the question themselves, and you have to guess by their past work and development slate on IMDBpro, check out their forums:

https://studios.amazon.com/forums

There'll you'll see the litany of complaints from writers who've submitted and been rejected - me among them. However, you'll also see some logical possible answers to your query.

Most importantly, they seem far more interested in pilots than in features. We see this from the methodology they display in their open submission system: Features of any type and genre and budget appear to be passed on in 2-3 days after 1-3 downloads by their creative staff. Meanwhile, pilots go a far longer route, often up to 90 days - some, inexplicably, far longer - before being rejected.

The submissions that have been accepted for development through this system has been few and far between, but it has happened. It's free, and the company involved certainly can't claim poverty - ie., they CAN make movies. I'd say it's a no-brainer to submit to them, especially since there's now no lock on the read option.

But still, be prepared for a long wait before you get an automated rejection email. At least they do do that, as opposed to the majority who, for example, even after they accept the script for a read after you query them, never EVER respond with the rejection.

g'luck!

Last edited by catcon : 05-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #44
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Since they don't really answer the question themselves, and you have to guess by their past work and development slate on IMDBpro, check out their forums:

https://studios.amazon.com/forums

There'll you'll see the litany of complaints from writers who've submitted and been rejected - me among them. However, you'll also see some logical possible answers to your query.

Most importantly, they seem far more interested in pilots than in features. We see this from the methodology they display in their open submission system: Features of any type and genre and budget appear to be passed on in 2-3 days after 1-3 downloads by their creative staff. Meanwhile, pilots go a far longer route, often up to 90 days - some, inexplicably, far longer - before being rejected.

The submissions that have been accepted for development through this system has been few and far between, but it has happened. It's free, and the company involved certainly can't claim poverty - ie., they CAN make movies. I'd say it's a no-brainer to submit to them, especially since there's now no lock on the read option.

But still, be prepared for a long wait before you get an automated rejection email. At least they do do that, as opposed to the majority who, for example, even after they accept the script for a read after you query them, never EVER respond with the rejection.

g'luck!
Thanks for the information. Do you think they're just looking for projects or are they also looking for writers to groom? Meaning, they might find a project that is too expensive for them or doesn't make business sense, but might like the writing sample... would they then be looking to develop other material with that writer?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #45
tshep72
User

I got a fairly quick rejection on a pilot I submitted. If I remember correctly was within a few days.
tshep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #46
cvolante

I get so many emails from Amazon I'd probably delete it, thinking it's about those kitty litter liners I ordered...
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #47
ewtaylor
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Do you think they're just looking for projects or are they also looking for writers to groom? Meaning, they might find a project that is too expensive for them or doesn't make business sense, but might like the writing sample... would they then be looking to develop other material with that writer?
There are literally thousands of writers submitting to them. They don't need to "groom" anyone. The last time I submitted, I think a year or 2 ago, they had certain projects they were looking for on the website.
Good luck.
ewtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #48
hockeyjason
User

I think they're done taking stuff from the general public. I had one of their original options in 2012. I sent them a similar script through the site last year, and they shot me down in a few days.

JD
hockeyjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
cvolante

I sent mine in March 9 and just heard back last night.
Same generic rejection letter they probably give everyone else, but it seems to have taken them 3 1/2 months to write it...
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #50
DangoForth

Quote:
They're looking for projects that can be produced in the $5-25 million budget range. That's for features. No idea on pilots.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote