Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Satriales
User

Default Amateur move?

How low rent would I look in a general with a prodco in mentioning I have an idea for a dormant IP (I’m talking one movie 25 years ago, wouldn’t consider it a smash but could possibly have nostalgia driven interest) which is owned by the studio where they have their POD? Thanks!
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
TravisPickle
Regular

Default Re: Amateur move?

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you would even consider this to be a potential "amateur move".

It shows a great deal of initiative and I've heard of many situations like this. If the property is indeed dormant, and you have an interesting take on reviving it, they would only be thrilled to have you come in and present that take.

The only issue would be if you wrote something on spec based on that IP and the studio was already developing something based on it.

Or what is even more likely (particularly with remakes or comic book adaptations) is that they had someone take a crack at it years ago, it didn't go anywhere, and you'd therefore be retreading old footsteps that led to nowhere.

Anyway just be confident and don't even question your idea of bringing it up. You literally have nothing to lose and all to gain.
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
ProfessorChomp
Regular

It's not an amateur move, it's a smart move. Execs are hoping you'll do something like this. There's nothing they like more than IP, especially IP they already own. Go for it.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Satriales
User

Appreciate the responses. My hesitancy is around the fact that I feel presumptuous going into the room on my first meeting and saying in not so many words “hey, go get these actors!” It also felt weird given that the studio and not the prodco are of course the rights holders. Anyway, I mentioned to my manager and he’s on board so my hesitancy is seemingly unfounded.

Last edited by Satriales : 02-20-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
JS90
User

Hey, you'd be surprised what IP studios are willing to fool around with.

I was an assistant in a TV room where we all used to rag on this one particularly goofy movie from the early 1970's. Then one day one of the writers' (a feature guy who'd just transitioned into TV) came into the room and asked what movie we were joking about. Then he said "Oh, that movie? My agent just had me pitch a remake".
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
TravisPickle
Regular

Nothing presumptuous about it
Just doing your job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
Appreciate the responses. My hesitancy is around the fact that I feel presumptuous going into the room on my first meeting and saying in not so many words “hey, go get these actors!” It also felt weird given that the studio and not the prodco are of course the rights holders. Anyway, I mentioned to my manager and he’s on board so my hesitancy is seemingly unfounded.
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
asteven50
Regular

It's all in the way you pitch it. I've pitched really specific things in generals before. Things that could only get made at one place, with one person, etc. etc. Lots of times its just to get the conversation going about other ideas with the hopes that the exec may latch on and share my passion for it. But this is literally what generals are for. Getting to know each other and kicking around ideas.

Anecdote: I had a general once at a big production company that started off totally normal. Then the exec mentioned that they own an anime streaming service, and the rest of the meeting was us talking about our favorite animes. He didn't even give me his card at the end of the meeting. A week later they went out to me for an assignment. Point is, you never know with generals. Just go with the flow.

Best of luck

-A
Old 03-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
Satriales
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteven50 View Post
It's all in the way you pitch it. I've pitched really specific things in generals before. Things that could only get made at one place, with one person, etc. etc. Lots of times its just to get the conversation going about other ideas with the hopes that the exec may latch on and share my passion for it. But this is literally what generals are for. Getting to know each other and kicking around ideas.

Anecdote: I had a general once at a big production company that started off totally normal. Then the exec mentioned that they own an anime streaming service, and the rest of the meeting was us talking about our favorite animes. He didn't even give me his card at the end of the meeting. A week later they went out to me for an assignment. Point is, you never know with generals. Just go with the flow.

Best of luck

-A
This is good and important advice. Prior to my first round of generals I was so caught up in “oh no what am I going to pitch?” and really the meetings that I got opportunities out of were ones where the exec and I digressed on something topical or a shared interest. As an introvert who does well at cos playing an extrovert I certainly underrated the fact that they just want someone to come in there and present as easy to work with. They already like your writing.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
DLev24
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
This is good and important advice. Prior to my first round of generals I was so caught up in “oh no what am I going to pitch?” and really the meetings that I got opportunities out of were ones where the exec and I digressed on something topical or a shared interest. As an introvert who does well at cos playing an extrovert I certainly underrated the fact that they just want someone to come in there and present as easy to work with. They already like your writing.
I went on a general (this was years ago) with an exec I'd previously met with once before and had a great rapport with. It was again a super friendly meeting that I thought went extremely well but afterwards, she told my manager that she wished I'd pitched more ideas. So he told me to always try to steer the meeting back toward business if it looked like it was going to be 99% bs'ing.

So on my next meeting, which was a lunch, I'm hitting it off tremendously with this exec. Great conversation, we're really getting along on a personal level, but I've got my manager's voice in my head re: steering it back to business. So as lunch is wrapping up, I sort of not-so-smoothly transition into a couple of pitches that I think may be up this company's alley... and he didn't like any of them. The lunch ended on this horrible, awkward note of rejection when it had been 100% positive vibes up until then.

I decided that day: never again. Now I just go with the flow and ride those positive vibes as far as they'll take me and, indeed, most of the opportunities that have come my way have been from meetings where we really connect on a "this person is cool to hang out with" level.
DLev24 is offline   Reply With Quote