No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going Wide in 2019

Originally posted by brandonbaek67 View Post
    Actually our job is not writing, it's 95% waiting and not hearing anything back.

6-8 weeks seems to be the new standard...
    Ha! Right!?
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      I think it was just a combo of the agency, amount it sold for, resulting nominations. Nothing else jumped out at me. Just being nosy mostly haha
      Lol. Gotcha. Yeah, I'd be curious too. Btw, I hadda re-look, I'm wrong, it wasn't up for best pic at Oscar, only best actress. Oops. I was thinking of what it was up for at Globes.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
        I'm about to go out with another one in the next month or two. Still working on the draft, but we're getting closer to it being done.

That said, I think we're going wide when we do. My last two went wide, but both of those were based on true(ish) stories that we knew would be difficult to sell out of the gate, if not impossible. But my reps still sent it out.

The new one is an original thriller. Very commercial with female leads. So it should go everywhere. I'm lucky that my agent and manager still want to make spec sales rather than deal with packaging. We might end up with the same result as the last two. Lots of meetings and producers trying to package elements. But you never know. At least my reps are will to try, which is really all you can ask these days.
        Good luck with that! Man, it's hell out there! Fukk'n A...

Comment

Btw - if what I said here gets back to GF, I'd just want her to know that I busted my ass to try to protect her. That was my main goal (Not trying to be offensive, just honest). The note to the studio to get them to relax. That was my idea and my words. May god strike me dead if I'm lying. After that everything was cool.

That story is funny tho, what I said. Swear to god, it was an analogy about how if your best bro is trying to fukk a chick (consensual) and you're dying to know how it went but you're bugging the **** out of them WHILE they're trying to fukk this chick (texts, calls, emails, carrier pigeon, morse code, knocking on front door, peeking in window. Whatever the fukk else... chimney, tunnels) they'll be like "Bruh... IT'S TOO MUCH, back the fukk up, I'm still ****king this chick, leave me alone dude, that's how I'ma fukk this chick good and give you a great story when I'm done. Get it?" That's what writing is like, I said, "no one wants to fukk the sh!t outta this script more than the writer... so let her do that uninterrupted! Then she'll have a rad story to tell you when she's done! Promise!" That's exactly what was said to the studio, only in more graphic detail. Swear to God! (Yes, my mind is fukked up. Born this way). They backed off, they 'GOT IT.' Ahhh... I'm bugging her and fukking up her mojo! DING! DING! DING! Gold star for you, yes, exactly that!

It's amazing what works when you're balls to the wall and don't give a fukk. Ha!

Also (I'm rambling, but). It's a super weird feeling being a writer but being instrumental in that kind of benchmark sale. Pretty sure (I could be wrong) it was the highest book to film sale of that year. I have nothing to lose so I'll be honest. It felt a little weird to be cashing huge checks based on something *I* didn't write. Felt a little sleazy. I was like, "Wow, do we really deserve this much? I guess so, we did get the price way up there by playing hardball." I'll always love GF. Her brilliance bought me my dream car, cash. But the truth is, I'm the reason that deal got complicated. But, I think it ultimately was the best move. Everyone walked away happy... and more importantly, PAID!

And... now I'm a loser writer again whose scripts don't sell. Hard to make a living off generals. HA!

Why am I not a manager? I'm probably in the wrong job. LOL

Comment

BTW - Wasn't Craig Mazin just bitching about this: Wrong facts.

I'm sorry, DEADLINE, your facts are fukkin wrong. Yeah, I get it, my ex just moved over to 3Arts. Good for her. But, that deal was not made at CAA. Fukk you talking about? That deal was TRUTHFULLY (100% factually) made in my backyard. You want the address? You can do a google earth view and I'll circle exactly where we were sitting. It definitely was not on Avenue of the Stars in the DEATH STAR. Actually, why don't I just show you...

Here's the Zillow: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,7

Lol, my furniture is in the pics, and my tequila (pink case, good tequila tho). Actually, swear to fukkin god, look at the pic where the Mexican blanket is, the WEED PIPE is sitting right there next to the lighter. Was this taken on the day we sold it? Trippy. That's the exact spot my ex was sitting, I was sitting from the perspective of the pic looking that way. WE WERE HIGH WHEN WE MADE THAT DEAL! Not very fancy is it? See that back yard, DEADLINE? That's EXACTLY where XXXX XXXX was sold, not CAA. Why do so many people in this industry lie? I honestly don't get it. Why can't we all just be real? As real as we are in our screenplays. We're flawed. Oh well. That's life. That's movies. That's TV. You want a good story or not? This industry is fukked up and weird, just admit it.

I'm getting blacklisted for being this honest any second... I can feel it! LOL

POINT: I do business honestly. Why not? You wanna have a good time? Hang out with me. We'll have a blast! Promise! But I might get you in trouble. LOL
            Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Interesting topic. I suppose being on the other side is just as rough as trying to get in in the first place. Seems like a contest win is what takes nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                Interesting topic. I suppose being on the other side is just as rough as trying to get in in the first place. Seems like a contest win is what takes nowadays.
                I don't think I would waste my money on competitions. I think a strong script with a hook is what will do nowadays and alladays.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  I don't think I would waste my money on competitions. I think a strong script with a hook is what will do nowadays and alladays.
                  Same thought. I just posted basically the same thing in another thread. (i.e. Don't let the competitions decide when you're ready, because reps aren't necessarily looking for what the competitions are.)

Comment

So good old querying is still the best bet then(assuming one has a strong script with a hook)?

Comment

So good old querying is still the best bet then(assuming one has a strong script with a hook)?
                      I actually think querying is probably an easier route than winning an entire competition. What are the odds you win? I'd do both, with a main focus on 'feet to ground' tactics. While also being mindful that some competitions are so low on the radar that they don't matter to most legit reps.

But geeze... and I'm sure other repped writers can attest... landing a rep is just the beginning of a MUCH bigger battle.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                        I actually think querying is probably an easier route than winning an entire competition. What are the odds you win? I'd do both, with a main focus on 'feet to ground' tactics. While also being mindful that some competitions are so low on the radar that they don't matter to most legit reps.

But geeze... and I'm sure other repped writers can attest... landing a rep is just the beginning of a MUCH bigger battle.

Good luck!
                        Ha it sure looks that way. Thanks.

Comment

Just to throw more data into the mux:

I got my rep off a Nicholl semi-finalist placement. And some hustle.

But I know others have taken far different routes.

Comment

Working...
                          X