Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #31
finalact4

Default Re: Synopsis -- Producer to Financiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
That makes more sense, regarding the question about being a producer.

As for the synopsis length, see if there are any subplots or extraneous characters you can cut. Try keeping things as narrowly focused on your protagonist's journey as possible. There's a whole lot of nuance in a script that just won't make it into a two page summary. Good luck!
thanks, Bunker. i appreciate the support. i see what you're saying. will do.
finalact4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #32
Bono

Also if your 2 page synopsis is 4 pages, I think it's okay if that's honestly what it needs. The producer will have to read it and offer any notes that may want before showing it right?

You're doing this for free. Do your best. If you hand them 4 pages and they said "I said 2" than that's not a great partner.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #33
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
can i just say 3 words...

not ****ing easy.

first draft, 7 pages. **** me.

work out then edit the **** out of it.

i'm thinking one sentence for each paragraph. ugh
It'll get easier, the more you do. I'm kind of surprised you haven't been asked previously, or far more often, such that an experienced writer such as yourself is just now going through this agony! But it's really worth looking at your script in this condensed way, and think of it as another marketing opportunity for your work. That makes it a bit more fun.

Mine start out as at least 5 pages, and about half over the past few years are finishing up at 3 pages (and that's with some big header/footer infos, including the logline, etc.).

Here's a sample I have off my website. This was for a 9-page short, but still, you get the whole story, and you see the fancy format (which is the same for all my synopses):

Synopsis for "Toaster!"
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #34
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Also if your 2 page synopsis is 4 pages, I think it's okay if that's honestly what it needs. The producer will have to read it and offer any notes that may want before showing it right?

You're doing this for free. Do your best. If you hand them 4 pages and they said "I said 2" than that's not a great partner.
good point. i think it will be about 4 pages. i think he might have said 2-3.

do i title it, written by, include the logline? that's what i was planning.

i have an imac with magic mouse and keyboard and someone has something that running interference, so every few seconds my keyboard, then mouse gets disconnected. on the phone with apple for 3 hours yesterday.

prolly some little ****** hacking into someone's internet.

it was a long a$$ day.

this is a heavy, fast moving plot. reworking it now.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #35
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
It'll get easier, the more you do. I'm kind of surprised you haven't been asked previously, or far more often, such that an experienced writer such as yourself is just now going through this agony! But it's really worth looking at your script in this condensed way, and think of it as another marketing opportunity for your work. That makes it a bit more fun.

Mine start out as at least 5 pages, and about half over the past few years are finishing up at 3 pages (and that's with some big header/footer infos, including the logline, etc.).

Here's a sample I have off my website. This was for a 9-page short, but still, you get the whole story, and you see the fancy format (which is the same for all my synopses):

Synopsis for "Toaster!"
experienced? nah. i'm a noobie like a lot of people here. switched to my laptop, thankfully i have both. can't take my imac in to Apple until Monday 6:16 pm. crazy-- why don't they have more stores?

right now i'm trying to save my 7 page behemoth but my mouse and keyboard won't stay connected long enough. jeez, took me 5 min to save. ugh.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
finalact4

it's just under 4 pages. editing one more pass.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #37
catcon

> just under 4 pages

Again, my observations seem to be a bit too much outside-the-box for some here, but when I've been asked for a 1-2 page synopsis, and I've sent my 3-4 pagers, I've never heard a complaint.

Now, in the rare occasion when they've asked for "two paragraph" synopsis, or max one page synopsis, and all I have is a 3-4 pager, I do up another one. It always pales in comparison to the longer ones, but the shorter ones are easy to do since all I have to do is edit the one I have.

For one script, I have three synopses: 1/2 page, 1 page (has 1/4" margins all around!), and the 4 pager.

But if they don't specify length, or if they say "up to 2", well, I send 'em the one I have. Never any complaints or requests to resubmit.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #38
Mark Somers

Congratulations and good luck going forward, finalact4.
Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:47 PM   #39
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Somers View Post
Congratulations and good luck going forward, finalact4.
thanks, Mark Somers, but who knows how real it is, you know? i'm hopeful. and still moving on.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #40
finalact4

ha! i did it.

started at 7pgs. edited down to 4pgs. then, edited down to 1 1/2 pgs.

good lesson.

my imac was glitchy. took it in-- bitch is heavy. they had to wipe the hard drive and add on a complete version of Mojave. my back up seems to have been mostly successful with the exception that a few of my "bills" from 2013 are now attached to other emails. sheesh.

would be cool to get this set up.

now... back to rewriting.