Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
finalact4

Default Re: Parallel development and samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Cheese -- best name on the board. I'm sorry, but that's GOOD HANDLE there. Sorry Gucci Gaga ZZZ or whatever your name is.

Yeah this is dead to me, even as a sample. You even said yourself how close it is, so how can you even win in that scenario? What skills are you showing that most people in town won't go -- the show I just watched was so much better than this... It's almost worse to have that as your sample in a way.

If you had your own disaster like show set in history or made up even, I can see that. I don't see a good way to use your hard work since it's a hit and popular show.

If you wrote like a sitcom version of that terrible tragedy -- maybe. But you have the same exact thing. So I don't see the way out...
i agree with bono.

unfortunately Mazin's is so good, you can't compete against it. you just can't. no one will want to read it because they can't do anything with it. i don't know if it could be a sample, but if i was a manager or agent, i wouldn't send it around. i'm sorry.

i mean, it's up for Emmys.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Cheese
User

Just to clarify, I didn't write another Chernobyl. I was just using that as an example of something that's out there that is very specific in concept and execution. I didn't want to name the actual project on a public forum out of respect for its creators, on the slight, slight, slight chance that an online discussion about their project and parallel development might cause someone on their legal team to raise an eyebrow.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Just to clarify, I didn't write another Chernobyl. I was just using that as an example of something that's out there that is very specific in concept and execution. I didn't want to name the actual project on a public forum out of respect for its creators, on the slight, slight, slight chance that an online discussion about their project and parallel development might cause someone on their legal team to raise an eyebrow.
oh, umm... might have gotten different responses then.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #14
Bono

Way to cut the cheese, CHEESE! I did not read your first post correctly. I see the words NOT but it didn't register. I blame you, not me.

Is the show you are talking about a new show or been on the air for 5 years?

I still think my advice is the same even if it's not a huge hit. If it's been made or is still being made, that script is dead.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
I picked up on that (You're not talking Chernobyl, totally different show idea)

But, you prolly gotta change the title. I def would.

I'm up against the same thing right now. I changed the title. Theirs is a comedy, mine is a dark drama. Still, I'm probably dead.

Good luck!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
Cheese
User

Quote:
I blame you, not me.
Huh, you must hang out with my wife.

Quote:
Is the show you are talking about a new show or been on the air for 5 years?
The show debuted earlier this year and got picked up for season 2 by the end of its run. I'm not sure of its ratings, and I don't think it was wildly popular. But any time something makes it to air, much less a second season pick up, that's a huge win in my mind.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Bono

It was a joke, but seriously, it was a long post and I read the first half then my eyes shifted toward the title and that thing about Craig Mazin so it was a very honest mistake. Next time go with FAKE TV TITLE HERE instead of real show title. I don't think I was the only one that didn't get it! But if I am, I still blame you. (still a joke.)

More seriously -- if it's currently on TV and got picked up for season two... I don't see it being worth the trouble.

Say you wrote THE OFFICE at same time. It's about an office with a documentary crew. I think you're saying it's that similar... I don't know how you have your own version of that unless you're NBC and do a spin off yourself .

I guess we all could write about people that work in FIREHOUSE and talk to the camera, but I don't know if that's different enough. I think it's fine as a sample, but I don't think it's going to sell which I assume is your goal in all this?

However if you're talking about a show like THE ROOKIE and your idea is an older guy changes careers to become a cop then you can't have your lead also be a cop. Same example, 60 year old joins the fire dept... I guess it's different enough, but probably not exciting enough to warrant 2 shows about it. Or you'd have to spin it so now it's the youngest person ever to be a cop like doogie howsier.

There are tons of cop , lawyer, medical shows because they are easy to find stories for each week. So a lot of them are painfully the same setup, just different voices. So it's not like it's 100% dead ever. But for now, I think it is.

I guess you'd have to PM someone with more info to give a true opinion. Or tell us if it is a cop show.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Bono

Also forgot to ask the question Are you repped? Where you repped when you said you "missed it by a week."

Because your rep should be looking out for you one if they know you're writing it and also if you were repless than to make you feel slightly better you were not a week away...
Old 08-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #19
Cheese
User

Quote:
But if I am, I still blame you. (still a joke.)
Oh, I know! No worries. Though I wasn't joking about my wife blaming me for everything ...

Quote:
I think it's fine as a sample, but I don't think it's going to sell which I assume is your goal in all this?
Nah, the only potential value my pilot might have would be as a sample. There's no chance it ever sells. Check your PM for details, and I think you'll agree.

Quote:
Also forgot to ask the question Are you repped? Where you repped when you said you "missed it by a week."
Unrepped, but I try hard to keep my ear to the ground to avoid this kinda thing.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
docgonzo

Quote:
Oh, I know! No worries. Though I wasn't joking about my wife blaming me for everything ...

Nah, the only potential value my pilot might have would be as a sample. There's no chance it ever sells. Check your PM for details, and I think you'll agree.

Unrepped, but I try hard to keep my ear to the ground to avoid this kinda thing.
Good luck with whatever happens.

And please tell me you named yourself after Cheese from THE WIRE.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote